Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Stanford '12
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 18

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 17:03
full0 wrote:
Have been silently following the thread for past several months. Thank you guys for all the insights, advice and support!

Received an admit yesterday – my first admit this season!

One thing in the email I received bugs me a little bit – it says that I need to immediately email the adcom of my willingness to accept the offer. Did other admits receive such thing? How urgent is that? I’m still waiting for decisions from other schools and want to examine all my choices before making this decision (although LBS is on top of the list).

Thanks for your advice.

most likely everyone received the same template. the key phrase i took away from that instruction was "plan to accept". thus i typed a reply immediately to let them know that i "plan" to do just that. i think that is all they are asking for right now. you are certainly allowed to examine all your other choices....
Current Student
Schools: Stanford '12
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 18

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 17:12
4test1 wrote:
Waitlisted, for the 14 May revision.

Congrats to all the quantjock and the other admits. There seem to be quite a few of us on the waitlist. From bsd_lover's experience, this could turn out to be a long wait. And LBS is pretty much the only school I have.

Any waitlister strategies? :|

thanks 4test1!

in addition to bsd_lover's references on waitlist advice, i just wanted to add rhymes post the other day to those of us who were WLd at Booth. obviously ignore the Chicago parts, but i still think its solid general advice.

calling-fall-2010-chicago-booth-applicants-78611-2260.html#p704322

congrats, courage and condolences...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 18:35
hey all,

with the high number of LBS waitlisters here on the thread, I started an LBS Waitlist thread, so we have a place to go to where we can commiserate together and share some strategies and advice that we can use to get off the waitlist and on to our goals of the Admitted list.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, LBS, LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 22:47
JoeMa wrote:
Hey Y'all. I am a little surprised by some of the dings. Especially, Snowintx and Pranay. I thought you were shoe-ins. I am fortunate to have been one of the few admitted. My profile is Finance/Entertainment/29/680/3.4 top US school/American

Hey Joe,
Congratulations on your admit. Thanks for the kind words.
I guess I just fell through a demographic crack somewhere.
I have a lot on my plate with a new entrepreneurial venture I recently started, so I don't think I will have time to properly "mourn" my ding. :)
Hopefully, I will feel enough passion, and committed enough to go it another round in R1 next year with a spanking new profile and 2 new recommendations.
Lets see.

Cheers,
Pranay
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 11:34
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm in - Round 2

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 19:12
Hi,

This message is actually for Dr M (sent you a PM), but would appreciate other inputs.

1. First, deepest sympathy to all those that were dinged or WL. After my two Rd 1 dings w/o interview, I was feeling rather sorry for myself as well.

2. Sometimes it is a crap shoot. As a result of the two dings, I made a last minute choice to apply to Wharton (4 days before deadline) in addition to LBS, which was one of my original choices.

3. I surprisingly got admits at both, so now I have to make a choice.

4. Almost everyone has recommended that I go to Wharton, but I think I would prefer the two years in London over Philly. The trade-off is in terms of reputation and brand.

5. I intend to come back to Asia, maybe China to work. Possibly consulting or banking, as per most other b-school graduates. In this regard, the Wharton brand is slightly stronger.

6. The trade-off is 2 years of definite fun (not sure what life is like in Philly) vs. a lifetime of slightly less tangible brand and network benefits. My own experience with alumni nets is actually that they help a bit, but not that much, other than an opener in a conversation.

7. Would appreciate thoughts or inputs from forummers, thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 32

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 19:42
db66460 wrote:
Im a R2 applicant. Got waitlisted. GMAT is weak, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

see what happens after your first review.. I read from other responses in the forum that sometimes schools will advise you to retake GMAT...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 32

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 19:43
pranaysrinivasan wrote:
JoeMa wrote:
Hey Y'all. I am a little surprised by some of the dings. Especially, Snowintx and Pranay. I thought you were shoe-ins. I am fortunate to have been one of the few admitted. My profile is Finance/Entertainment/29/680/3.4 top US school/American

Hey Joe,
Congratulations on your admit. Thanks for the kind words.
I guess I just fell through a demographic crack somewhere.
I have a lot on my plate with a new entrepreneurial venture I recently started, so I don't think I will have time to properly "mourn" my ding. :)
Hopefully, I will feel enough passion, and committed enough to go it another round in R1 next year with a spanking new profile and 2 new recommendations.
Lets see.

Cheers,
Pranay

way to go pranay!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 20:48
jasonjason,

I apologise for not responding to your private message; I wasn't aware I had any private messages as I completely ignore the gmactclub inbox. I'd like to answer your queries, well-thought out ones at that, as soon as I find a breather.

In the meantime, congratulations on your admission offers, and as a preliminiary note to my impending response, you've summarised, rather succinctly, some of the exact points I considered as I made the choice to accept the London Business School offer over the one from the Wharton School.

jasonjason wrote:
Hi,

This message is actually for Dr M (sent you a PM), but would appreciate other inputs.

1. First, deepest sympathy to all those that were dinged or WL. After my two Rd 1 dings w/o interview, I was feeling rather sorry for myself as well.

2. Sometimes it is a crap shoot. As a result of the two dings, I made a last minute choice to apply to Wharton (4 days before deadline) in addition to LBS, which was one of my original choices.

4. Almost everyone has recommended that I go to Wharton, but I think I would prefer the two years in London over Philly. The trade-off is in terms of reputation and brand.

5. I intend to come back to Asia, maybe China to work. Possibly consulting or banking, as per most other b-school graduates. In this regard, the Wharton brand is slightly stronger.

6. The trade-off is 2 years of definite fun (not sure what life is like in Philly) vs. a lifetime of slightly less tangible brand and network benefits. My own experience with alumni nets is actually that they help a bit, but not that much, other than an opener in a conversation.

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 00:58
I know that this message is for DrManhattan but I thought I might chime in with a few points:
1. It is a big misconception that people always choose Wharton over LBS. Several of my class mates have picked LBS over Wharton. LBS is a younger brand, but it is also a global brand (as is Wharton). No one in Asia is going to hire you just because you went to Wharton over LBS. They will hire you because you will show to them that you are good enough to work for them.
2. For working in Asia we organise two treks - one for internships and one for full time. These treks are fully student run and organisers try to cover Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai depending on demand of the participants.
3. Most people of Asian origin (and language skills) who wanted to go to Asia (esp in banking) got top bulge bracket internships in Hong Kong this year.
4. When looking for a job in Asia (and not being located in Asia), you are reliant on these treks / visits exclusively (at least as a career switcher) and your networking skills. All American schools have similarly organised visits and treks.
5. For consulting, you state your location preference while applying on consulting company's web site. You will get an interview again based on how well you have executed those applications and how relevant your CV is for all locations (and again not based on which school you attend)
6. There are some very big differences between the way LBS works and the way Wharton works. Understand these and then make a choice.

In summary, base your decision on fit and experience while studying. There wont be much difference in terms of job prospects in Asia.

jasonjason wrote:
Hi,

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 01:23
Thanks a lot, BSD and Dr M. I agree with the points you guys made.

Three questions -

1. From your perspective, how is recruiting representation at LBS?

2. From your perspective, how is Europe doing, vis-a-vis US? E.g. If I wanted to be in London vs. NY vs. Shanghai or Tokyo for example.

3. Both of you are not alumnus yet, but how would you rate the strength of the alumni network (though the fact that you are both contributing so much speaks volumes in favour of the LBS crowd, thanks again).

Will be out of email contact for 2 months starting tomorrow, so it has been a crazy rush trying to decide and work out long-term plans and ask for deferment on matriculation decisions.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 02:56
1. All top recruiters recruit regularly from LBS. A full list can be found on LBS website somewhere.

2. I would say Shanghai Hong Kong Singapore are probably doing the best. London has seen a decent recovery and on campus recruitment for internships was very strong. However, I don't know much about the scene in the US.

3. LBS alums know that attending LBS is a different experience of moving to a new environment(at least for 90% of the students). By and large I have found them to be incredibly helpful and supportive. Some very busy and senior people take time out for you. But like alums everywhere, they will open doors, the rest is up to you.

jasonjason wrote:

Three questions -

2. From your perspective, how is Europe doing, vis-a-vis US? E.g. If I wanted to be in London vs. NY vs. Shanghai or Tokyo for example.

3. Both of you are not alumnus yet, but how would you rate the strength of the alumni network (though the fact that you are both contributing so much speaks volumes in favour of the LBS crowd, thanks again).

Will be out of email contact for 2 months starting tomorrow, so it has been a crazy rush trying to decide and work out long-term plans and ask for deferment on matriculation decisions.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 20:37
hey guys, am also WAITLISTED. 29/M/Entrepreneur.

seems like there's an almost 50-50 split between WL and accepted. not sure about the dings. i can definitely say this forum has helped a lot, so thanks everyone. special mention to Dr Manhattan and BSD, who both have posted a lot of information on this thread. I'll be joining the WL thread shortly.
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 22:31
hello guys! i have been away for quite a while - I quit my job 2 months ago and I am currently traveling around SE Asia for 4 months before LBS starts in August! :) in fact i'm writing this post from an internet cafe somewhere in southern Thailand.

first of all, congrats to all the R2 admits out there!! looking fwd to meeting you all soon!

secondly, my symphaties to those dinged or waitlisted. Even though I haven't had the time to read all posts over the past couple of months, I have seen a lot of incredibly strong profiles here who I think were very unlucky not to get admitted at this stage. I know for a fact that competition this year has been incredibly high. I spoke to an adcom member a few weeks ago and he told me appliations this year were at all time high, and w/e, gmat scores, and profiles in general were better than ever. do not worry too much as you will end up in a great school in the end whether it's LBS or not - in the end it might all be for the better.

good luck to all R3/R4s, and I wish strength to all waitlisters for the wait. R2 amits, good luck making your decisions - I'm sure you'll make the right ones! ;)
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 22:37
jasonjason wrote:

Three questions -

jasonjason, just a quick note you might find helpful. but first of all, congratulations on the two fantastic admits!

when comparing alumni network strength between two schools, a useful excercise is to log in to LinkedIn (if you have a profile), and do a search in the field you are interested in. you can filter by school, so you can select LBS and then Wharton, and filter to any specific industry and location. It isn't perfect as LinkedIn is hardly representative of all people with an MBA, but I think it's a good indication. I used this technique in making my own decision a few months back. good luck in any case!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 08:06
jasonjason,

Once again, congratulations on your offer!

I sympathise, quite sincerely, with all those whose candidacies were rejected or assigned to the Wait-list. I’m especially surprised (and say so very honestly) that so many strong applicants were turned down; not only were there several strong profiles, but these profiles also appeared to demonstrate that critical “fit” with the unique London Business School culture. I wish everyone all the best in their future endeavours.

And now, on to keeping my promise to outline my rationale for picking London Business School over The Wharton School. In truth, jasonjason, you appear to know what factors are important in making this decision that you alone can make; additionally, bsd_lover has chimed in with a few reasons that coincide with mine. Here is why I made my choice:

• Technically, I did not choose London Business School over Wharton. I was accepted to three programmes, and by a process of elimination, picked the one I believed to have the best “fit” in terms of campus experience, and post-MBA goals. The decision was never a pure “Wharton vs. London Business School” tussle, if that distinction matters.
• I visited two campuses of the three programmes to which I was admitted (I did not visit London Business School), and it was immediately clear to me, and this is my personal opinion, that I would not enjoy my time at Wharton:

o I perceived the student body to be somewhat homogenous and parochial, and could not garner the same enthusiasm I did (and still do) for London Business School. I do not describing Wharton in a negative tone (it’s a fantastic programme, after all), but I just didn’t enjoy the “vibe” of the student body I met with. Conversely, my interaction with current students and alumni at London Business School has been such that I eagerly sought the opportunity to be a part of that community. The community is extremely heterogeneous (a factor of considerable importance to me), the people seemed a lot nicer, and the alumni in my home city have not only been extremely accessible, but their career progress since leaving London Business School is comparable to those of their peers in top U.S. MBA programmes.
o I absolutely dreaded the thought of being confined to Philadelphia for two years, and location played a significant role in my decision-making process. In that regard, London was the clear choice. It was important for me to attend a programme in an “Alpha” city, and this played handsomely into London’s favour.

• I disagree that there is a “…trade-off is in terms of reputation and brand…” as one compares Wharton to London. Among the top Finance and Consulting firms around the world, the London Business School brand is well-known and highly regarded. I am too ill-informed about the Wharton brand (not having conducted the extensive research into it as I did for London) to make a definitive statement, but I’m quite sure it is strong (likely even stronger!) than London’s; after all, it’s a much older programme with ivy status, and its historically larger classes means it obviously has a larger alumni network. However, you will recall that I was not weighing London Business School directly against Wharton on a relative basis, but holistically assessing the merits of each school. That London Business School is well-recognised in the industries and companies I intend to target proved sufficient for me. My colleagues at work have reacted very positively to my admission, and there has never a “question mark” in the assessments of my peers and superiors as to why I’d made my choice. That said, it is my experience that some of the smaller companies in Industry (non-Finance & non-Consulting roles) in certain regions are not familiar with the London Business School brand.

This is a summary, of how I made my decision.

I did some research into recruiting for offices outside London (both for Finance and Consulting) and discovered exactly what bsd_lover mentioned in his response. Consulting recruiting is very
Attachment:
MBA2009_EmploymentReport_LBS.pdf [1019.81 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times
To download please login or register as a user

global, and one’s home-base (the location of one’s MBA programme) plays a small role in one’s final office assignment. In other words, as long as slots are available in one’s office(s) of choice, one stands an equal chance as someone from Wharton, or IESE, or CEIBS (as long as the Consulting company recruits there). For Finance, one must run after the offices/regions in which one is interested. Two treks, as far as I know, are run by the student body for those with a Finance focus; one to the United States, the other to Asia.

The only advice I can render is that you make your decision based on careful research, and not the impressions of those with opinions based not in fact, but assumption.

For your three follow-up questions:

1) Recruiting representation at London Business School, to the extent that I can comment from my research, is excellent. I will try to attach the latest Employment Report, and perhaps you can review if for the success of the last class for which information is available, and for a list of the companies that recruit on campus.

2) I cannot comment on Europe, I’m afraid. I’m not sufficiently informed, but perhaps the Employment Report (should I succeed in attaching it to my response) will answer that question to some extent.

3) I have found (and this is the limited experience of one who has never set foot on the London Business School campus, and cannot even be considered a student of the programme) that the alumni network is present in all major regions around the world. You must note; however, that the network, while present, might be perceptibly smaller in cities outside Europe and top U.S. programmes likely dominate. The reason for this is clear: many top U.S. programmes have a longer existence, and typically admit larger classes. For instance, of the following top U.S. programmes; Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Booth, and Columbia, I believe Booth and Kellogg have the smallest class sizes of ~ 550-600; Harvard and Wharton easily have students in excess of 850. This compares to London’s class size of ~400 which, prior to 2009, was typically maintained within the 300-320 target. In terms of its strength, I have found the alumni in my home-city to be well-placed, very accessible, and impressively successful.

bsd_lover wrote:
1. All top recruiters recruit regularly from LBS. A full list can be found on LBS website somewhere.

2. I would say Shanghai Hong Kong Singapore are probably doing the best. London has seen a decent recovery and on campus recruitment for internships was very strong. However, I don't know much about the scene in the US.

3. LBS alums know that attending LBS is a different experience of moving to a new environment(at least for 90% of the students). By and large I have found them to be incredibly helpful and supportive. Some very busy and senior people take time out for you. But like alums everywhere, they will open doors, the rest is up to you.

jasonjason wrote:

Three questions -

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 10:04
Well, as a guy who a) will be attending LBS in the fall, b) attended Wharton as an Undergrad (and loved it), and c) am a native of Philly, I'd suggest you really can't go wrong either way. I'd just encourage you to visit both places and see which is the better fit for you. Maybe the only categorical statement I'd make is that if you were 100% certain you want to do quant-heavy finance post b-school, I'd might give slightly heavier weight to Wharton because no school I've seen (including HBS and Stanford) come close to matching Wharton's finance faculty and courses. General finance, consulting and industry jobs, however, I haven't really noticed much of a difference between the two.

I agree with the Doc about his comment that Wharton's MBA student body does tend to be a bit more homogenous and parochial, much more so than I experienced with my Undergrad classmates, which is why I wasn't especially interested in going back for an MBA. The LBS-ers are much more diverse, and in my humble opinion, were more fun and accessible.

I (respectfully :-D ) COMPLETELY disagree with Doc on Philadelphia, though. Disclaimer that I am from Philly, but it really is a great, underrated city that you don't get a true feel for during a brief visit. Granted, it is never going to be as big and diverse as a NYC/London, but it's a lot of fun, easy to navigate and INCREDIBLY affordable on a student budget. In my opinion, it's a much more entertaining city for a student than either Boston or Washington, DC, and is pretty on par with a Chicago. Either way, I'd NEVER recommend someone turn down Wharton just because they think they might not like Philly. Besides, NYC is only a cheap, quick train ride away anyway.

Good luck with the decision!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 10:37
hey jasonjason,

As I was doing my research, I was put in touch with a contact via connections in Asia who's in PE (director level). Having spent 1.5 years in leveraged finance, I was exploring options to get into PE and wanted to get his thoughts on career prospects in Asia. His recommendation actually reaffirmed my decision to get an MBA, because otherwise I would have to waste a few years of my experience to start over at analyst level (I spent four years in some global leadership programs prior to my current role). I was a bit surprised that he had recommended LBS over US schools (esp knowing that he went to school in the US as well) and it was a big reassurance that LBS is already a well established brand in the market.

I think someone already mentioned this, but if you are looking to come back to the US, I would recommend applying to a US schools.. otherwise you can't go wrong with LBS!

jasonjason wrote:

Last edited by octopus2010 on 29 Mar 2010, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 11:03
Right, doc. I only meant to emphasize the fact that LBS is a very safe bet (if not one of the best :) if someone is looking for placements outside of the US in case they have any doubts of its brand over US schools'.

Anyways, I love the interactions here... Thanks DocManhattan and others for the contributions! and now I should probably go back to work. haha 8-)

DoctorManhattan wrote:
octopus2010,

I disagree somewhat with the blanket recommendation to apply to U.S. schools for MBA aspirants from the United States looking to return there. I might agree that for certain, not all, roles in finance (where the importance of networking is dramatic!), and perhaps some in Industry as well (though, when it comes to Industry, I'm merely repeating what I've been told) U.S. schools might hold an advantage over London Business School. Other than this exception, the motivated U.S.-based MBA aspirant may freely attend London Business School and recruit successfully for U.S. jobs.

octopus2010 wrote:
hey jasonjason,

I think someone already mentioned this, but if you are looking to come back to the US, I would recommend applying to a US schools.. otherwise you can't go wrong with LBS!

jasonjason wrote:

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (R2), Fuqua (R2), Sloan (R2), LBS (R2)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 19:04
i forgot to write this...

got a ding!

Interview was not really good...Interviewer ended up not really repping the school and MBA. Didn't really believe in LBS and MBA....

I knew right after that interview I wasn't going to LBS whether or not i got accepted. the ding made the decision mutual. I would feel different (disappointed with the ding) if the interview didn't go as it did.

really sad.

-------------
Go Blue!!!

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2010, 19:04