Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 05:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 142
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 19:06
Hello,

How did you attempt this question in the application:

" Do you feel that your academic performance so far gives an accurate indication of your potential for success at London Business School? If so, why? If not, why not? "

While my academics is not bad per say, I definitely have a few courses where I have scored low. What is the best approach for this answer. There is a "why" for either answer, which is making me think..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 142
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 19:24
TheDream wrote:
I was OK actually, I didn't have any issues during the entire process. If you're still having issues, I would call them up tomorrow to find out what is going on.


I have just sent them an email. Will call them tomorrow. Thank you.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 21:55
This one is targeted at those that would have otherwise answered this question in the optional essay. It is perfectly ok to say "yes" if you gpa was over or around 3.5 mentioning why you scored low in some papers.
humblewinner wrote:
Hello,

How did you attempt this question in the application:

" Do you feel that your academic performance so far gives an accurate indication of your potential for success at London Business School? If so, why? If not, why not? "

While my academics is not bad per say, I definitely have a few courses where I have scored low. What is the best approach for this answer. There is a "why" for either answer, which is making me think..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 00:12
hey bsd (chiank here by mistake moderator deleted my account so new account),

Can i say yes for above question ......CA from india and CFA final year ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 369
Location: London UK
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 02:50
TheDream wrote:
Just submitted my application !!! :-D


Good luck!!!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 169
Location: Berkeley, CA
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 05:48
I'm getting ready to submit for R1 but I noticed one of my supervisors is still working on the reco.

I was going to send him an email reminder, but I noticed this on the LBS site:

Quote:
All application deadlines are 17.00 UK time. Stage One references may be submitted up to one week after the 07 October application deadline: by 17.00 on 14 October 2009.


I just wanted to dead sure that this means my recommender has till October 14th? I obviously won't tell him about this, and I'll expect him to submit it tomorrow, but I won't unnecessarily bug him for it.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 199
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 06:44
TheDream wrote:
Just submitted my application !!! :-D

One question for everybody... When I say my goal is to work for Xyz company after MBA, is It necessary that the xyz company recruit on campus?
Thanks
Wg

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 369
Location: London UK
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 07:07
stopper5 wrote:
I'm getting ready to submit for R1 but I noticed one of my supervisors is still working on the reco.

I was going to send him an email reminder, but I noticed this on the LBS site:

Quote:
All application deadlines are 17.00 UK time. Stage One references may be submitted up to one week after the 07 October application deadline: by 17.00 on 14 October 2009.


I just wanted to dead sure that this means my recommender has till October 14th? I obviously won't tell him about this, and I'll expect him to submit it tomorrow, but I won't unnecessarily bug him for it.

Thanks!


That wasn't the case last year, but from that quote, it does sound like they are being flexible. I'd call the MBA programme office if you still wanted to confirm.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 369
Location: London UK
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 07:10
wiseguyMBA wrote:
One question for everybody... When I say my goal is to work for Xyz company after MBA, is It necessary that the xyz company recruit on campus?
Thanks
Wg

Posted from my mobile device Image


Not necessary, as some students access jobs through networks or other non-LBS avenues -- but if you're going to mention a specific company, just make sure that the rest of your essay will logically support your strategy for recruiting with that company (i.e. if the company is known for only recruiting at HBS, then you'd have to put a bit more effort into "convincing" the adcom that your goal is achievable).
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 169
Location: Berkeley, CA
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 16:56
Wanted some last minute advice, and sorry if its a stupid one :P

If I were to bring up the Milk Round in my essays, can I assume the adcom will know what this is, or would I have to define it?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 142
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 18:07
stopper5 wrote:
Wanted some last minute advice, and sorry if its a stupid one :P

If I were to bring up the Milk Round in my essays, can I assume the adcom will know what this is, or would I have to define it?

Thanks!



Milk Round :roll: ..I have no clue what that is ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 23:41
bsd and prashok,

what are you planning to do after mba ? i mean you will go to respective homecountry or remain in uk for future employment ?

In terms of salary, does employment in UK or london is par with US ?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 169
Location: Berkeley, CA
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 04:39
prashok wrote:
stopper5 wrote:
I'm getting ready to submit for R1 but I noticed one of my supervisors is still working on the reco.

I was going to send him an email reminder, but I noticed this on the LBS site:

Quote:
All application deadlines are 17.00 UK time. Stage One references may be submitted up to one week after the 07 October application deadline: by 17.00 on 14 October 2009.


I just wanted to dead sure that this means my recommender has till October 14th? I obviously won't tell him about this, and I'll expect him to submit it tomorrow, but I won't unnecessarily bug him for it.

Thanks!


That wasn't the case last year, but from that quote, it does sound like they are being flexible. I'd call the MBA programme office if you still wanted to confirm.


Did just that. She confirmed that referees have an additional week to get their recos in. Phew!

My boss's wife is about to go into labor anytime soon and I would hate to be sitting on this head at this time.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 142
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 07:52
Submitted my Round 1 app.

I was never able to upload the transcript, the school accepted them by email.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 08:08
Some great new blog entries at london's mba blog - gives a great idea of what its been like in the last few days. See it at :
http://mbablog.london.edu/

@ankit - with regards to the academic performance question - it is really aimed at your undergraduate gpa. So for instance if your gpa was good then say yes. If not so good you can say that you have a CFA/CPA/CA which proves that your gpa is not an accurate indicator. In terms of jobs - my aim is to move to sales and trading preferably in london (but not too fussy about location). Salaries are comparable but sometimes marginally better or worse (depending on the exchange rate)

@stopper - yes everyone at school knows what milkrounds are. humblewinner - they occur in January - they are the period in which all the recruiters come and interview from campus.

best of luck to those who have submitted.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 169
Location: Berkeley, CA
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 09:46
Thanks bsd.

I submitted my app last night. Still waiting on one recommender to submit a reco. His wife gave birth this morning. I'm so thankful LBS has a 7-day grace period for the recommenders!!

Good luck to others who applied.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 18:08
bsd_lover wrote:
Some great new blog entries at london's mba blog - gives a great idea of what its been like in the last few days. See it at :
http://mbablog.london.edu/

@ankit - with regards to the academic performance question - it is really aimed at your undergraduate gpa. So for instance if your gpa was good then say yes. If not so good you can say that you have a CFA/CPA/CA which proves that your gpa is not an accurate indicator. In terms of jobs - my aim is to move to sales and trading preferably in london (but not too fussy about location). Salaries are comparable but sometimes marginally better or worse (depending on the exchange rate)

@stopper - yes everyone at school knows what milkrounds are. humblewinner - they occur in January - they are the period in which all the recruiters come and interview from campus.

best of luck to those who have submitted.



hey bsd ,
lbs dont have dual degree courses, right? if yes then it is only negative point of lbs. I mean LBS is more appealing to me but if i decide to do dual course then i might not able to do mba in lbs :|
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 00:14
hi bsd and prashok,

i was looking in lbs blog many people have posted there fav moments of lbs 1 month journey

can you plz post your 10 fav moments ? not necessary now ...but whenever you all are free
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 12:11
lbs guys seems very busy ...what keeping you off guys ? case study or clubs ??
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 169
Location: Berkeley, CA
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 12:32
Recommender #2 submitted his reco! Phew... I guess now I can say I'm in for R1! Has anyone gotten any sort of confirmation email saying the application is "Complete"? The status of my application and two references read "Submitted". Just making sure.
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2009, 12:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
127 Experts publish their posts in the topic The London Business School 2010 thread pmenon 1314 25 May 2009, 10:27
75 The London Business School 2011 Thread bpenn 1342 16 Jun 2010, 13:48
London Business School 2010 end-of-term dates? ssuppe 1 07 Jun 2010, 05:16
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic Indian School of Business 2010-11 thread bigoyal 125 16 Jun 2009, 09:24
39 Experts publish their posts in the topic The London Business School 2009 thread bsd_lover 560 25 Sep 2008, 02:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The London Business School 2010 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  66    Next  [ 1315 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.