Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 04:16
sharshar this shouldn't matter. Recommendation is his assessment of you while you guys worked together.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 13:54
Thanks; I have another questions. I quit my job last month to focus on my own business but I'll be starting a 9-5 job in October (a week before R1 deadline!). I'll be listing the new job in the "current employment" section but will the one month gap look bad on the application?

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 14:43
sharshar84 wrote:
Thanks; I have another questions. I quit my job last month to focus on my own business but I'll be starting a 9-5 job in October (a week before R1 deadline!). I'll be listing the new job in the "current employment" section but will the one month gap look bad on the application?

Will you still be involved with your business even after you start the 9-5 job? Perhaps you could frame it like:

Company A - June 2008 - August 2009
Own business - August 2009 - present
9-5 Job - September 2009 - present

Otherwise, you could put down that you worked on your own business from August to September, but be prepared to show some kind of achievement or responsibilities even for that one-month timespan.
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 15:13
I can definitely show some achievements for my month "off", but the online app (understandably) only allows one entry in the current employment section.

My story's something like this:
Company A: June 2007 - August 2009
Own business: June 2008 - present
Company B: October 2009 - present

Since my business is a non-profit one that I will most likely be involved in for a very long time, I can talk about it in length in my essays and include it in my resume.

Would you suggest I explain the one month gap in the optional essay, or is the "Why did you leave this position?" field in the "previous employment" section sufficient (i.e. I wanted to gain more experience in field X but before beginning my new job, I spent a month improving my own business)?

I also another question: How important is salary and does AdCom use it as an indicator of some sort?

Thank you so much for bearing with me :)

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 06:18
Hey all,

Regarding transcripts, howd you go about uploading them ? Do they have to be official ones from the universities, or can they be a copy and paste type of deal from the university's website ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 12:51
sharshar84 wrote:
I can definitely show some achievements for my month "off", but the online app (understandably) only allows one entry in the current employment section.

My story's something like this:
Company A: June 2007 - August 2009
Own business: June 2008 - present
Company B: October 2009 - present

Since my business is a non-profit one that I will most likely be involved in for a very long time, I can talk about it in length in my essays and include it in my resume.

Would you suggest I explain the one month gap in the optional essay, or is the "Why did you leave this position?" field in the "previous employment" section sufficient (i.e. I wanted to gain more experience in field X but before beginning my new job, I spent a month improving my own business)?

I also another question: How important is salary and does AdCom use it as an indicator of some sort?

Thank you so much for bearing with me :)

No problem! In that case, probably best to explain the gap in the employment section. Personally, I don't think the one-month gap is too long to warrant an optional essay (especially in this current climate where gaps of several months might be prevalent), but if you feel it would give you more space to discuss your reasoning and talk about your own business, then you could go with the optional essay as well. Just be sure that you are adding more information and value about your background than what it is mentioned elsewhere -- adcoms in general won't like reading an optional essay unless it truly shows a facet of your profile that is not evident in other parts of your application.

In terms of salary, I have only seen it used in the ROI and other statistics. I can't think of any way it would be used in admissions decisions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 13:00
TheDream wrote:
Hey all,

Regarding transcripts, howd you go about uploading them ? Do they have to be official ones from the universities, or can they be a copy and paste type of deal from the university's website ?

Best to ask the office on this one if you don't have access to a transcript document. I used a scanned copy of the university-provided unofficial transcript document. Not entirely sure if you can just copy/paste from your university's website...
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 17:27
Hey Prashok and/or BSD,

I spoke to someone in admissions and I'll be visiting on October 9th. Do either of you know what happens during the drop in session? Will I sit in on a class or is more just question/answer with an admissions officer or current student?

Thanks!

Franklin
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 02:16
Thanks so much for all the info BSD & Prashok, it's priceless.

Life with the GMAT:

CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 07:18
I haven't done a drop session myself so I dont know what is involved exactly (I think prashok did one last year). My guess is that at the very least you will get a tour of the campus and meet some student ambassadors. My classes finish at 12.30 on that day and if I am not stuck doing assignments, I'll be happy to catch up.

Franklin wrote:
Hey Prashok and/or BSD,

I spoke to someone in admissions and I'll be visiting on October 9th. Do either of you know what happens during the drop in session? Will I sit in on a class or is more just question/answer with an admissions officer or current student?

Thanks!

Franklin
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 05:43
Just an update - I'll be applying in R2 i/o R1!

Life with the GMAT:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 09:20
bsd_lover wrote:
My guess is that at the very least you will get a tour of the campus and meet some student ambassadors.

Yep, this is mainly what the drop-in session entails. It may be worth checking with Admissions to see if you can sit in on a class as well, though (they would have to arrange this separately).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 22:47
Just curious about what recruiting is like for those from the US that go to LBS and then want to return to the US to work. Has anyone heard much about people doing this? How is the school viewed in the US? I would love the international experience, but would be slightly nervous about this.
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 02:52
Recruiting to US is surprisingly good IF you have US work authorisation.This is not an issue obviously if you are American. Only about 20-30% of the class usually does have the authorisation (Americans, Canadians, green card holders). We have a US finance trek scheduled in October where we'll be specifically speaking to various bulge bracket and mid market firms, however we have been warned about the work authorisation issue. After attending some other presentations, I observe that its actually easier to recruit for the US if you have non-finance aspirations.

CaliCpa wrote:
Just curious about what recruiting is like for those from the US that go to LBS and then want to return to the US to work. Has anyone heard much about people doing this? How is the school viewed in the US? I would love the international experience, but would be slightly nervous about this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 12:11
CaliCpa wrote:

It can depend on the industry/company -- but as bsd_lover mentioned, the work authorization issue is one of the main considerations for international students wishing to work in the US. If you are already eligible to work though, most of the larger firms (especially finance and consulting) do recruit for their global offices, including the American locations.

In terms of reputation, this can be somewhat dependent on location and industry as well. We have many students from the Northeast (mainly NYC), which is also reflected in the stronger alumni base in that area, especially in finance. Because of this, I feel the school has a more notable reputation in that region versus the West Coast and Midwest. That said, there are still sizable alumni clubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago as well. Overall, I think those that do know of LBS will already know that it's a strong school comparable to the M7. However, the challenge is getting everyone else to recognize the institution in the first place, especially recruiters in industry or non-profit.

In our class, there are quite a few Americans who are looking at returning back immediately after graduation -- so it isn't a rare occurrence. I personally don't plan to return to the US for some time, as I am focusing on Europe/Asia post-graduation -- where the LBS brand is on par with H/S/W in some places.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 06:52
*deleted*

Last edited by TheDream on 25 Sep 2009, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 13:37
NEED ADVICE: I had applied R1 Jan. 2010 INSEAD; R3 Aug. 2009 LBS; Oxford; and IE. I got into IE & Oxford. Got waitlisted at LBS & INSEAD. I declined the offer at Oxford, and decided to join April 2010 term at IE. Left my job in August and have gone on a long holiday trip. Gave up any hope on LBS. Am still waiting for a positive or a negative reply from INSEAD. All packed and ready to join IE.

Long behold, today I got an admit email from LBS for class of 2012, starting Aug. 2010. I am totally confused. I have already left my job. Tell me if I have to decide between IE & LBS, what should I do? Suppose I get into INSEAD also, it gets even more confusing. Although INSEAD might be an easier decision as it starts in Jan. Please help me make a decision here.
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 13:54
Many congratulations mate this is fantastic news. This is exactly what happened to me last year (after a year on the waitlist). I had ALSO left my job. I ended up picking up another role for 7 months then travelled to Asia, met up with as many admits as I could before school started. This way, I made many great friends even before school started. The class of 2011 has been phenomenal in terms of the quality of the people - I am witnessing this everyday in class. I have no doubt that 2012 will be just as great, if not better.

Think of this as a unique opportunity to do things that most mba admits don't get to do. If you are a career switcher try to get a pre-mba internship. Otherwise you can find something temporary to save up for fees. Or, you can move to London early and start networking here. The one year can be an incredibly useful tool. I can understand your frustration in terms of the "timing" of bschool. However, in my opinion, starting a year later is actually a good thing in the current economy. LBS is a far stronger brand than IE and, while the wait is frustrating, it is well worth it in the end.

On the other hand, you might have other priorities (no one is getting any younger). So you need to weigh it up. But it might be a good idea to come down to London and check out the school etc. before making a decision. Contact me if you are here and I'll show you around.

ps. I think you posted earlier here : advice-needed-for-international-school-selection-79325.html and I did predict this might happen about LBS ;)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 14:32
bsd_lover, thanks for your input. Yes, that was me earlier. I shall contact you in London. I might be there in the next couple of months. Thanks again.
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 16:09
Social reps from stream A made a video promoting themselves. Its actually funnier if you know the folks personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl66omqbyXc

Some scenes were shot in the LBS quad. Enjoy :)
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2009, 16:09