Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 19:59
TheDream wrote:
wiseguyMBA wrote:
stopper5 wrote:
I need some advice on Essay 1. Currently, I start with an anecdote and don't get into my short-term goal till the end of the second paragraph. I'm not sure if this is the right approach.

Should I spell out exactly what I want to do in the first sentence and then hit the anecdote? Does the order even matter?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guys
I am still not even started on 3 essays...I'm really shitting bricks...I'm considering if I should drop Round 1....
Anyone else as lazy as me?

Hm, you'll definitely be cutting it close. Have you written essays for other schools yet ? If so, you should have a half-decent idea of what you want to say, and how you want to say it. If not, then I would consider waiting until the next round, and put your best foot forward.

Well, London was a last minute add-on, cos I figured Rd 1 was really my best chance. I do have all essays written for Tuck and Kellogg so I can reuse the outline and basic idea, so not too bad. My worry is that I will not have time to send out my essays to friends for review. Hope it doesnt come back and bite me. Thanks for the input.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 14:28
Sadly most of these schools ask similar questions in different formats and word limits. This makes reusing essays not very easy. I ran into similar problems when I was applying. For LBS (and also HBS for that matter) keep in mind the tight word limits. You will not have the opportunity paint vivid pictures and build up much of a story. The essay about international experiences is brutal (at 150 words). I'm just glad that its over for me :)

Good luck R1 applicants.
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 15:38
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Well, London was a last minute add-on, cos I figured Rd 1 was really my best chance. I do have all essays written for Tuck and Kellogg so I can reuse the outline and basic idea, so not too bad. My worry is that I will not have time to send out my essays to friends for review. Hope it doesnt come back and bite me. Thanks for the input.

in similar situation.. trying my best in a last minute effort..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 14:50
humblewinner wrote:
wiseguyMBA wrote:

in similar situation.. trying my best in a last minute effort..

Did anyone notice the MBA_ESSAY_QUESTIONS.doc template says "for classes beginning in August 2009"?
are we supposed to change it or just leave it that way?
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 23:40
Thanks for the input for my earlier question guys.

Quick essay questions - how many words are you folks spending on the "Why now?" part in Essay 1? For me this is only about 50-60 words. I'm worried its a too little. :|

Thanks!
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 00:10
Its not how many words you spend on the issue, its how convincing and persuasive your arguments are.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 09:00
hey bsd and prashok ..how is school going ?? it seems you both are enjoying lot in lbs ....can you share more of lbs thng like how are faculty , teaching , campus ,etc
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 09:21
Hi ankit due to workload reasons I dont think I will be able to do an detailed write up for a few weeks. However, if you sift through this thread you will find plenty of posts from both me and prashok that talk about exactly the things you are looking for (i.e. faculty, teaching, campus).

ankit1456 wrote:
hey bsd and prashok ..how is school going ?? it seems you both are enjoying lot in lbs ....can you share more of lbs thng like how are faculty , teaching , campus ,etc
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 09:55
bigDeal wrote:
Did anyone notice the MBA_ESSAY_QUESTIONS.doc template says "for classes beginning in August 2009"?
are we supposed to change it or just leave it that way?

Probably a typo -- don't worry about it...
Current Student

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 10:13
prashok wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Its not how many words you spend on the issue, its how convincing and persuasive your arguments are.

Yep -- as an example, my "Why now?" portion was maybe two sentences maximum. If you can get across what you need to say, you'll be fine.

bsd/prashok - thanks a lot for your insight!
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 11:13
Just submitted my application !!! :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 13:01
TheDream wrote:

I think I'm patenting a recipe for disaster... Writing essay 3 now and still have to write essay 4 and edit all my essays, and have to visit Tuck on 6th..Which means I'm trying to prep for that interview as well.
Wg

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 15:39
TheDream wrote:

Hello, I am unable to upload my transcripts (4.7 mb, max allowed=5 mb). The connection keeps timing out. Did you have any problems ?
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 18:53
humblewinner wrote:
TheDream wrote:

Hello, I am unable to upload my transcripts (4.7 mb, max allowed=5 mb). The connection keeps timing out. Did you have any problems ?

I was OK actually, I didn't have any issues during the entire process. If you're still having issues, I would call them up tomorrow to find out what is going on.
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 19:06
Hello,

How did you attempt this question in the application:

" Do you feel that your academic performance so far gives an accurate indication of your potential for success at London Business School? If so, why? If not, why not? "

While my academics is not bad per say, I definitely have a few courses where I have scored low. What is the best approach for this answer. There is a "why" for either answer, which is making me think..
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 19:24
TheDream wrote:
I was OK actually, I didn't have any issues during the entire process. If you're still having issues, I would call them up tomorrow to find out what is going on.

I have just sent them an email. Will call them tomorrow. Thank you.
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 21:55
This one is targeted at those that would have otherwise answered this question in the optional essay. It is perfectly ok to say "yes" if you gpa was over or around 3.5 mentioning why you scored low in some papers.
humblewinner wrote:
Hello,

How did you attempt this question in the application:

" Do you feel that your academic performance so far gives an accurate indication of your potential for success at London Business School? If so, why? If not, why not? "

While my academics is not bad per say, I definitely have a few courses where I have scored low. What is the best approach for this answer. There is a "why" for either answer, which is making me think..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 00:12
hey bsd (chiank here by mistake moderator deleted my account so new account),

Can i say yes for above question ......CA from india and CFA final year ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 02:50
TheDream wrote:

Good luck!!!
Current Student

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 05:48
I'm getting ready to submit for R1 but I noticed one of my supervisors is still working on the reco.

I was going to send him an email reminder, but I noticed this on the LBS site:

Quote:
All application deadlines are 17.00 UK time. Stage One references may be submitted up to one week after the 07 October application deadline: by 17.00 on 14 October 2009.

I just wanted to dead sure that this means my recommender has till October 14th? I obviously won't tell him about this, and I'll expect him to submit it tomorrow, but I won't unnecessarily bug him for it.

Thanks!
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2009, 05:48