Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Everyone, thanks for coming out and sharing. I'm really surprised at the quality of applicants that have been waitlisted and denied.

@DrManhattan I'm presuming you're a R2 applicant ? I've added you to the list.

@Foncia, Wolfie, eowyn and other waitlisters - b-schools admission is a marathon.When you finally get admitted and attend school , you will be all the more stronger for it and the experience will be even sweeter.

@gnr - buddy I really feel for you - you did not deserve this - 2nd time waitlist just shows that you are really close and just need that extra push to get you over the line. Try to find what the extra push is - extra-curricular / leadership / overseas experience and try to demonstrate some of it during the wait.

R2 applicants - observe the high quality of folks who were denied and waitlisted in R1 and note that applications is a tough tough process. Leave nothing to chance. Get that extra polish on the essays and show that extra love for the school. But also realise that luck plays a role in these admits and that being dinged or waitlisted doesn't prove anything in terms of what your true capabilities are.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
bsd_lover wrote:
Everyone, thanks for coming out and sharing. I'm really surprised at the quality of applicants that have been waitlisted and denied.

@DrManhattan I'm presuming you're a R2 applicant ? I've added you to the list.

@Foncia, Wolfie, eowyn and other waitlisters - b-schools admission is a marathon.When you finally get admitted and attend school , you will be all the more stronger for it and the experience will be even sweeter.

@gnr - buddy I really feel for you - you did not deserve this - 2nd time waitlist just shows that you are really close and just need that extra push to get you over the line. Try to find what the extra push is - extra-curricular / leadership / overseas experience and try to demonstrate some of it during the wait.

R2 applicants - observe the high quality of folks who were denied and waitlisted in R1 and note that applications is a tough tough process. Leave nothing to chance. Get that extra polish on the essays and show that extra love for the school. But also realise that luck plays a role in these admits and that being dinged or waitlisted doesn't prove anything in terms of what your true capabilities are.

bsd_lover,

I'm actually a successful Stage 1 applicant. I resisted joining GMATClub till I completed all my applications and heard from all my first round schools; however, I have closely followed these threads for months.

I think the best piece of advice (based on my experience in this process) I could offer Stage 2 applicants is that they really need to understand London Business School, and why they want to go there, and that they can eloquently demonstrate this in their application essays. Application essays to top MBA programmes are always important, but I believe this importance is elevated to the level of "critical" when it comes to London Business School's MBA programme.

Do you homework! Be able to talk intelligently about courses you would find interesting, about clubs you would like to join (and this should make sense; for instance, stating an interest in the Korea Club without any professional, cultutal or personal ties to Korea or the Far East would seem, well, silly), and of current students and alumni you have interacted with in exploring the London Business School community, etcetera.

The London Business School essays are somewhat different from the standard fare of top American MBA programme applications. As such, you'll sell yourself very short if you attempt the cut and paste approach that appears to work quite well with other applications.

Finally, do not rest on your oars if and when you become short-listed for an interview. The numbers are hazy, but I believe the post-interview acceptance rate is somewhere between 50% and 70%. While this is not an overwhelmingly pessimistic number, you must realise that your new competition, while smaller, is stronger; the "weaker" (in the eyes of the Admissions Committee) have already been weeded out.

As the Stage 2 lot gears up to polish off their essays and their overall applications, I'd be happy to share any insights as to why I think my approach to the London Business School MBA application got me all the way through the process. I think this thread is an incredibly useful forum!

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 01:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hey DoctorM,

I have been following some of your posts on other forums. I have been admitted too and I really look forward to meeting you in London! Congrats on all your other admissions; it's not easy to turn down Wharton and this is another sign of the strenght of LBS!

As for stage2 applicants, I would like to stress once more the importance of essays. For example, I have been admitted without having a stellar GMAT (710) and with only 2 years of WE by starting date. I am clearly an "outlier" if you look the typical class profile. However, good essays are THE MOST IMPORTANT factor, that can overcome low GMAT, short WE and so on.

As the contents of the essays, here are my advice:
1) Be specific and kind of pushy in telling why you do an MBA and what are your career goals. Do not just say "I'm doing an MBA because it's cool". Always connect the why MBA and why LBS with your career goals.
2) Try to do at your very best the "student club" essays. Concentrate on two clubs, name why you want to join them and cite examples of what they do. Show them that you did a lot of research on the clubs you want to join. Again, it may help to connect the clubs of you choice with your career goals
3) Don't be too formal in your essays. I was very conversational in my essays and in some parts they were "funny" I would say. This is also true when it comes to the interview. Show the guy that you know how to have fun and how to connect with people.

Hope this helps!

However, I have one question. When are the scolarships assigned?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
zibi1 wrote:
DoctorM,

as usual your reply is pretty accurate. The fact is that I'm already in a top consulting firm (MBB), so the CV speaks for me. I prepared the GMAT in 4 weekends so I am confident that I can hit the 750 bar. However, preparing the GMAT is stressful.. but at the end of the day I know that if I want to make the career change I need to score better on the GMAT!!

Cheers

Then, do it.

You seem to imply that insufficient preparation resulted in a 710 score in the first place, and that your true abilities lie closer to 750.

The choice is always yours; you do not appear to have a valid reason to re-take this test other than assuaging your ego (insert big grin no. 1), and I'm sure London Business School would be delighted if you reported a higher GMAT score prior to enroling. You stand to raise the GMAT average of the incoming class, and the only downside to you is that time that could be spent glorying in your admission triumph would be instead find you fretting about the quickest way to resolve conditional probability problems and to determine perfect sentence structure (insert big grin no. 2).

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all !

Sorry for the delayed update, I was out of the country with spotty Internet access. I was disappointed to see the Ding email. I thought after the interview I had a really good shot, and cant quite pinpoint what happened along the way.

Regardless, Ive had to tell myself that a ding isnt the end of the world, even if it was from my number one school. Life goes on. Congrats to everyone who got in !!
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hey mate sorry to hear that. Glad to see that you are taking it rather well. As I said earlier - these admits / dings / waitlists should never be taken as a reflection of personal capabilities.

Still no news from jmoore3 and waitingforanswers
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
prashok wrote:
The LBS Survival Guide (I forget if it's released with your admit pack, or once you pay the reservation fee) is pretty detailed on how to manage your budget to a reasonable figure.

To fellow admits/prospective students,

This is the guide prashok was referring to and it is pretty useful and covers most aspects of student life:

http://www.londonsa.org/prospective_stu ... 0Guide.pdf
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to folks admitted in R1. Well done !

I joined this forum late, but have been already preparing towards LBS Rd 2. I am ready with draft versions of my essays but badly need a second pair of eyes to provide critical feedback. Would appreciate if someone is willing to offer some help.

My profile - 8 years of experience in IT including 2 years of heading USA based start-up in India. Currently working in London as Senior Consultant for past 1.5 years. LBS is my first choice as I simply love this school for its diversity, location and reputation. Excellent academics, decent GMAT, diverse experiences (from an individual contributor to Director, Manager and now consultant) and good community experience as well.

My strength - Start-up experience, raising start-up from ground zero to a team of 25-30 people. Headed India development centre for couple of years, oversaw operations, launched product and conducted press releases with substantial media coverage. Played multiple roles of Director, Manager, HR, Product manager and possibly everything that was needed to get the company running. However, this experience was an eye opener to how badly I needed MBA. We ran out of funds and had to downsize. That's when I moved to another start-up, headed 3 products, formulated product strategy and managed teams.

My Weakness - Part of very common pool. IT male, India with a normal GMAT score.

My Aim - Entrepreneur in Technology Sector. In short term, I may join some product based IT companies before jumping onto launching my own Technology firm.

Thanks and regards

You have a very strong profile with diverse experiences, you dont have a typical IT aka software programmer profile. That said, make sure that this strength comes across in your essays and resume well. I am an Indian/IT/Male myself and was successful in making the cut. What is your GMAT score, if it is around LBS average, you should be fine especially with the excellent academics you mention.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 02:11
This post received
KUDOS
prashok wrote:
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/

Currently at 0.5%.

For US students, this is a major dilemma for the HSBC vs Stafford debate (the HSBC rate is variable but Stafford loans are fixed).

thanks prashok for the link. the one thing i would add to people considering this, please look at the historical rates as well. I've attached a chart with the rates since 1997 - please note that during the past 10 years the rate was always between 4% and 6% up until end of last year. the 0.5% is very attractive but it can only change in one direction and that is up. good luck with the decisions!
Attachments

File comment: BoE historic rates
BoE.jpg
BoE.jpg [ 32.23 KiB | Viewed 2831 times ]

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
Aaah you will get that spreadsheet towards the end of the first term (along with a full blown debriefing on how to go about picking those electives). LBS does not work on a bidding system. You just state your preferences about which course you want and when you want to do it. You can start taking electives straight after second term (although the electives available to first year students is limited to only the most popular and useful ones and the ones that you have completed the prerequisites for). Information on the feedback for a particular course from past years is also available in the library so that you can assess which course works for you. It is a little Darwinian in the sense that the courses survive on the basis of demand and if a professor does a poor job, the demand goes down and down every successive year, until the course dies out (or improves).

The other interesting thing about electives is that they are available in three formats: day, evening and block week. This gives you the flexibility to really load up on these electives early if you want to finish in 15 months. The other thing to note is that although you can only do 12 electives maximum, if you have waivers in first year, you can use these waivers to take extra electives. Theoretically you can waive Statistics, Corporate Finance, Micro Economics, Accounting (and perhaps others) and then do one elective in place of the waived paper (leading to 16 or more electives).

The reason why I'm explaining this at such lengths is that these choices help determine your major / concentration. If hypothetically you can do more than 12 electives then hypothetically you can target more courses that could give you a broader major.

Not quite sure why they provide that information so late and why it is not available publicly. Perhaps they don't want to encourage people to be waiving out of too many core courses. It is at these core courses esp in the first term that you form the strong bonds with your study groups.

ps. I know I'm not answering your original question about which elective can be used for which major. But that is because I'm not sure whether the information that I have this year will be relevant next year.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Juvi999 and KAS1986.

I´m not an expert, actually I'm just an applicant like both of you.

First, to clarify Juvi999 last comment: KAS1986 is a Master in Management prospective student according to her post. Having said that, KAS1986 profile seems outstanding to me for a MiM. Now, my only question for you is: what motivates you to go for a MiM instead of waiting a couple of years and go for the MBA? With more work experience you will be a very strong candidate for the MBA programme.

Now, Juvi999, in my opinion you also have a very good profile. It seems like you could improve your work experience to have an even stronger profile. On the other hand, you are part of a small pool of applicants (F/Eastern Europe), so I feel like you could have good possibilities because of this. Now, in the financial part, there are many different ways to finance your MBA. You should take a look at the HSBC-LBS loan or other scolarships/loans that apply for Europeans. So my advice is: go for it!

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope they help you in some way.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
juvi999 wrote:
If I apply for R3, is there still any chance for me to get a good scholarship? I am female, 700 in GMAT, 3.75 (GPA) originally from the Eastern Europe. I received my undergraduate in the US and I have 2.5 years of experience in public accountancy (and 2.5 experience in restaurant management while in school).

I did not consider LBS at first because I thought that I could not afford it. I would like to go for to school where I can get at least partial scholarship. Should I apply for LBS or is it too late and I missed the boat?

I would appreciate any advice.

hi juvi999,
i would recommend that if you like LBS then you should definitely go for it! from what i understand based on the website, there is no difference in your scholarship chances between R1-R3. (Others might know better of course.) All R3 applicants are considered for the Annual Fund schols, and all of R1-R3 applicants apply together for all the other scholarships. So once you are in I think the chances are good. As someone has mentioned, being a woman and coming from E Europe will also open up a few scholarships not available to others. Also, you should check for additional sources in your own country, as there might be several additional scholarships available than what's listed on LBS website. A good idea could be to search Portal for current students from your home coutry (you can do this once admitted) and ask them if they managed to secure any additional scholarships from home.

Finally, as it has also been mentioned above, you can always go for loans. MBA is a long-term investment and going to a top school will generate significantly better returns a few years down the line.

Good luck! :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Now, my only question for you is: what motivates you to go for a MiM instead of waiting a couple of years and go for the MBA? With more work experience you will be a very strong candidate for the MBA programme.

MadMex82: The main reason I'm applying for the MiM program rather than waiting to apply for the MBA is that I have found it incredibly hard to find a permanent full time job since graduating in 2008. In this economic climate I'm sure many are in the same boat. I've actually been pretty fortunate. Many of my friends in Los Angeles have spent the last year temping and working as film/tv extras to make ends meet. Also, in the film industry it's extremely hard to make that transition from Executive Assistant to Management. While interning I met many incredibly bright people with years of experience who had only managed to make lateral moves from one company to another. The few that were in their mid-20s and in management positions had less experience, but all had postgraduate degrees. I think it would be almost impossible to get into a respectable MBA program in a few years with only Admin experience. I'd also like to broaden my career prospects to include PR/marketing/advertising and am finding that my specialized degree is limiting me. (I'm currently back home in Boston and recruiters look at my film degree and don't take me seriously, despite the fact that BU has an outstanding communications program. I think they're under the impression I spent four years watching movies :-D ). I think I have the work experience to land an entry level job, but LBS could give me the connections/skills/training necessary to differentiate myself and help me begin my climb up the corporate ladder.

juvi999: Good luck in your scholarship search! I am in the same boat. Fortunately I don't have any student loans from undergrad thanks to an academic merit scholarship, but I'm still struggling to find financing. I keep telling myself that even if I have to take out a loan for everything I'm still in better shape than my friends who have well over $100,000 in loans from 4 years of undergrad. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of government grant. I've researched private scholarships but most of them specify that the school must be in the US :(
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
Chill! Chances are they'll probably not notice, even if they do , it's ok.
k

Last edited by bonobocobra on 29 Jan 2010, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
agree with bonobocobra... nothing we can do now until 9 feb....

Last edited by boeinz on 29 Jan 2010, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
testgmattest55 wrote:
hey guys,
I found a small grammatical mistake in one of my essays...is it worth mentioning this to the AdCom...or should I not even worry about it ?

Ofcourse people have advised to ignore it... I was just wondering, is this normal or advisable to mention small mistakes in application to the Adcom?
E.g. grammatical mistakes in essays, mistakes in dates in resume, or some other considerably small errors?

One may be tempted to think that bringing adcoms special attention to the mistake may not be desirable since the chances are quite high that it is not found out otherwise, considering the number of applications.

But then again, is it actually possible to get in touch with the Adcom and correct small mistakes in your application? Can someone who has been admitted confirm whether this indeed works positively? :|

Last edited by shokks on 29 Jan 2010, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: London Business School (int)
WE 1: Research
WE 2: Corporate Strat

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
Looking at the amazing profiles of the unlucky ones who got dinged, it just seems like that's all it really says - that they are merely unlucky. It also looks like LBS gives lesser importance to the GMAT and weighs international exposure (perhaps they are building a certain mix) and WE much more.

I personally feel extremely lucky to have gotten to the interview stage and believe this will be the most difficult part of the entire process for me. I know bsd_lover and Dr. Manhattan have taken pains to list out interview feedback here but it would be great to have their inputs on how to best use the next few weeks to prepare well. LBS is my first and only real option - and the process is far from over.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
pranaysrinivasan wrote:
Hi All,

I received an Interview Invite earlier today.

Doctor_Manhattan, I have annointed you my official LBS Admissions Mentor.

I am going to bug you, stalk you, cyberstalk you, and irritate the hell out of you until you sit me down and tell me all that you did to impress that alum and the 7 other people you networked your way across North America to land up on that admit list. :evil:

Cheers, and Best of Luck to everyone else!

Pranay
p.s. My profile:
Under Grad 1999 in Life Sciences / Biotechnology - Mumbai Univ, St Xaviers College - 69.25% (3rd in class)
11 years Entrepreneurial Small Family Business Experience in Apparel Export - multiple leadership, teamwork, and strong cross-functional, multi-cultural experience / exposure. Lots of foreign travel for Business Development.
ECs: State Level Basketball in College, Currently write a blog and writing a fiction novel that is part of a bigger franchise.
Reccos: 2 clients in US Beachwear Industry
GMAT: 730 - Q49,V41,AWA5.5

pranaysrinivasan,

Haha, accepted as a compliment!

Well done on your accomplishment so far, it was clearly no mean feat! Good luck in the rest of your application journey. While post-interview acceptance rates hover somewhere near 50% (intelligent speculation), your new reduced pool is more competitive, so do not take your interview for granted and rest on your oars.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, LBS, LBS

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
FYI:

http://www.londonsa.org/prospective_stu ... 0Guide.pdf

Best,
Pranay
p.s. It was on Page 23. My bad.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, LBS, LBS

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
Spoke to Phillipa today and she said she's sending out my interviewer's details to me tomorrow.

isjii2010 wrote:
As per London Business School tomorrow should be the last day for them to send interviewer details. I haven't received mine. Lets see whether I get to tomorrow.
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2010, 11:25