Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Continuing the tradition set by bsd_lover and others in the past, I proudly present to you, the 2010 LBS thread. I invite all those applying, or considering applying, to contribute to this thread. Im sure it'll be just as popular, if not more, than the threads from the last 2 years. So throw your names into the hat, ladies n gents, and get ready for one helluva ride !!

P.S. Im thinking about keeping this thread exclusive for MBA applicants, and have a separate one for MiF and MiM applicants, as there seemed to be a lot of interest in those programs last year :)

Here is some further info on the school :
MBA home page : http://www.london.edu/mba.html
Employment report : http://www.london.edu/mba/careerimpact.html
Social Clubs : http://www.londonsa.org/dynamic/club_list.php
Recommendor forms :
http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/ ... ctions.pdf

Mckinsey recruiting at LBS - http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/lbs/home.aspx

Ranked #1 school in the WORLD by FT in 2009. Link - http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... a-rankings

LBS 2008 thread can be found here : lbs-r1-roll-call-54115.html
LBS 2009 thread can be found here: the-london-business-school-2009-thread-70701.html#p521283

LBS online application can be found here : https://www.london.edu/register/do?actionId=186

Good luck all.

Important Dates
RoundApplication DeadlineInterview decision sent onAdmission decision sent on
107 October 200906 November 200916 December 2009
206 January 201009 February 201025 March 2010
303 March 201009 April 201020 May 2010
421 April 201028 May 201002 July 2010

LBS R1:
Applicants =?
Tally: Admits: N/A Dings: N/A Waitlist: N/A

Admits
danek
zeayin82
humblewinner
vgeri
andygee
jinbo
boofyhairgirl
stopper5
zibi1
DoctorManhattan
fishoil
mbabiden08

Waitlist :(
Evidence
gnr646
eowyn
foncia
wolfie123
s1ap
fordfirestone

Interview invites
Jmoore3
waitinganswers

Ding
wizardoftheeast
wiseguyMBA
DrSatisfaction
arv
afan
lianbear
alpha_plus_gamma
theDream (post interview)

LBS R2:
Admits
quantjock
jonatank
yangsta8
Trantastic
Michiavelli
saundyCEC
nurkholisoh
JoeMa
Dogg2012
jasonjason
planettelex

Waitlist :(
vodkacran
Frontline
crux
mayaS
Ari123
madmex82
boeinz
4test1
a11c99
bouh22
lakai777
db66460
eee
chainchain
pochcc

Interview invites
claudemarie
planettelex
JoeMahmah
pranavc
bwizzle

Ding
sh0gg0th
notsovegetarian (w/int)
highhopes09 (w/int)
pranaysrinivasan (w/int)
isjii2010(w/int)
eagleye81200(w/int)
undafry(w/int)
horrorshow(w/int)
IndianGuardian (w/int)
classof2012somewhere (w/int)
EBSIFounder (w/int)
snowinTX (w/int)
activerun
BLINDSIDE
itsmystery
bonobocobra
rockyb
Angelwrath
shamil623
sj0509
Lastminute
gmattokyo
psned11
rishiphadke
culesrules
prome2
sudeep
nitin86
Nonewsisgoodnews
guptaji

Tally: Admits: N/A Dings: N/A Waitlist: N/A

LBS R3: ? applicants
aj1545

LBS R4: ? applicants

MIA
F[ava
aval
anotherindian
danswer
poojashetty
McNerdy
Hussain15
snipertrader
zuperman
Franklin
sharshar84
Salisaaa
fernando09
thisisatestgmat88
CharlieChaplin
jsonali
jimmiejaz
satyr2k
Michiavelli
madmex82
saruba
shokks
oscar81
alnasl

Last edited by pmenon on 01 Jul 2009, 04:57, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago(Ding), LBS (Admit), CBS, Fuqua
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [8] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
Alright, I got a couple of pm's from R2 applicants asking me to share my interview experience. So I thought I would share it with everyone to give back to this forum.

My interviewer was a very senior executive in a top level management consulting firm. He was very approachable and made me feel very comfortable during the complete interview. He was genuinely trying to understand my background, my career goals and my fit with London Business School. Following are some things I remember about the interview:-

1. He set up an interview for one hour and he timed it precisely so that it was over in exactly one hour. This was a little different from other London Business School interviews that I have heard of, where people had interviews lasting 1.5-2 hrs.
2. My interviewer had read my application in and out. He was well prepared with specific questions from my application to verify the authenticity/genuineness/commitment to my career goals. He was trying to make sure that I had not 'bluffed' in my application. This was very much inline with most of the London Business School interview experiences that I have heard of - London Business School interviewers read your application through and through before the interview.
3. He asked following questions in order:-
a. My background
b. How I performed in a team pertaining to a specific example I had put in my app. How did I handle conflict in that team?
c. Cross-questions from my app regarding my career goals. Why have you chosen this career goal? What will you do if your career goals are not met?
d. Why London?
e. Why 2 year MBA? Why not 1 year?
f. Presentation topic. He told me not to worry about presenting for five minutes. I think I presented whatever points I had in 2 minutes. I was prepared and gave a structured presentation - Introduction (basically repeapted the topic he had given), then pros., then cons., and then conclusion (which point of view I supported and why?). I was a little nervous when I began. But as I started speaking, I gained confidence and words and ideas automatically started flowing. [I am not the very best of the presenter nor a very good speaker].
g. Questions for him. I asked him a couple. But he had already got the idea that I had done my homework about London Business School well and had good reasons for applying there. In the end he said that he thought I will be a good fit for London Business School.

I came back and sent him a thankyou mail.

After reeceiving the admission, I again emailed him about my admit and thanked him again.

Hope you guys find this helful.

D.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [4] , given: 7

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
I just got done with my interview last night as well. I could not get a read on the interviewer at all, so I'm really not sure how I did. I thought it was ok, but could have been better.

The interview time was 8pm. I offered to meet at his hotel lobby, as I figured I didn't want to be bound by the operating hours of a cafe. My interview ended up being 2 hours long, and I didn't even cover a key EC during this time! By no means is a longer interview a better interview, it's the quality. I think where I went wrong was whacking around the bush at the start and not being very concise in my answers. I figured, ah this is a long interview, I can take my time answering - don't do this!

The interviewer was nice and brought me to back on track a couple of times. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the interviewer and I had a lot in common - same undergrad, similar career goals and post-MBA location preference (Asia). He said he would be taking lots of notes, but I don't think he wrote as much as I thought he would. We had good eye contact. All in all, he was a very nice guy.

He did not ask me any difficult questions. I had prepared extensively for industry specific questions, but no questions on that front. He asked the usual, tell me about yourself, why do you intend to leave your current field, why Asia, why LBS, leadership story, leadership style, a time when you had to win the support of someone, weaknesses (come prepared with at least 2 that you can address because I was asked the weakness question twice in a different format). I talked at length about my current industry, why I wanted to leave (both push and pull factors) and where I want to go.

After about 1h20min, it was time for the impromptu presentation. I was very intimidated by this part of the interview process going in. I had prepared as much as I could by searching for questions asked in prior years online, and doing some mock presentations. I recommend you do the same, it will really help. The interviewer himself recommended that I do the following when I present my case (i) state your stand, (ii) define your structure, (iii) reflect how this affects you. I think I did an OK job with the presentation, not great.

One thing I was surprised to learn was the the interviewer has access to your entire application file, not just your essays and resume. My interviewer had even read the recommendations. I didn't think they had access to recommendations, not that it makes any difference to me at least.

After the presentation, he asked me if I had any questions. I could ask him really detailed questions because of our similar interests/background and got some great advice from him.

I sent him a thank you note and he was nice enough to reply to it - I never expect replies from my Thank-You notes!

I guess I'm done with the application process, everything is out of my hands now. All I can do is wait on the sidelines and pray that things go well. :pray

Good luck to others who have their interviews coming up, I hope this short summary was useful.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 16 [4] , given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 15:30
This post received
KUDOS
pranaysrinivasan wrote:
Hi All,

Like Doctor Manhattan, I too, have been a silent lurker around these parts. If you noticed a few goats missing, that was me :)

I've submitted my application today in R2. A brief about me:
Under Grad 1999 in Life Sciences / Biotechnology - Mumbai Univ, St Xaviers College - 69.25% (3rd in class)
11 years Entrepreneurial Small Family Business Experience in Apparel Export - multiple leadership, teamwork, and strong cross-functional, multi-cultural experience / exposure. Lots of foreign travel for Business Development.
ECs: State Level Basketball in College, Currently write a blog and writing a fiction novel that is part of a bigger franchise.
Reccos: 2 clients in US Beachwear Industry
GMAT: 730 - Q49,V41,AWA5.5

Thanks,
Pranay

Good luck to all you Stage 2 Contenders!

pranaysrinivasan,

Glad you've decided to emerge from the shadowy recesses of absolute anonymity!

I'll always maintain that the hardest part of all my applications was The Wait. The first stage of your Wait has just begun. Occupy it by trying to relax, but also, in preparing for your London Business School interview (should you be fortunate enough to be short-listed! :-) )

The following commons sense tips should get you ready for the interview:

1) Know your application inside out
2) Do further research on the programme; be able to engage the alumnus(a) in detailed conversations about what aspects of the London Business School community appeal to you, why they do so, and how they fit into your overall story
3) Do not fret over the legendary "short presentation", but do not take it for granted either
4) Know "Why an MBA," "Why now," and "Why London Business School," if you refuse to know anything else! Be prepared to be prodded on this, and be articulate in the rationale you outline to the interviewer
5) Be prepared to provide supplemental anecdotes that buttress your conversational points throughout the interview; supplemental in that they are in addition to, and completely different from, any of the anecdotes you've already provided in your application essays or elsewhere in your application.

Good luck!

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Sloan, LBS, NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 5 [4] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 17:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hello All,
I just got done with my LBS interview around an hour and a half ago in New York City. I am actually typing this on the bus back to Boston.

I interviewed with an alum from the class of 1993. He is the Vice-Chairman and chief strategy officer for his company. Amazingly down-to-earth guy. He interviewed me at a conference room at a law firm in Manhattan. He seemed very relaxed about the dress code. He said "dress in any way that makes you comfortable". Since this was an interview, I adopted a semi-formal dress code. The interview was very conversational and I felt oddly relaxed throughout. I just hope I didn't talk too much. So I am guessing all of you want to know the questions. So here goes:

a. How would your team members describe you? Is their description accurate? If so, why?
b. Is there anything about the perception your team members (at work) have of you that you don't necessarily agree with? If so, what do you not agree with?
c. Why did you pursue an Engineering degree in college? Why not music (I play the piano)?
d. What is the biggest thing you would change in your education and why?
e. What do you think are some of the challenges being faced by businesses today?
f. What do you think about the Toyota recall? How would you handle things now if you were in their shoes?
g. Have you faced resistance from members on your team? How did you deal with it? If you didn't face any resistance but one of your team members did not complete the task you delegated to him or her
despite you explaining the requirements to them well, how did you deal with this person?
h. What has been the biggest challenge of your professional life?
i. You are interested in the media industry. What if I gave you a choice between two options:

- I give you $100,000 to start your own media-related venture.
- You go to business school.

Walk me through the thought process you would use to decide between the two options above.
j. If you got admission offers from ALL the schools you applied to, how would you weigh one vs another to make your decision on accepting one?
k. How do you manage your team at work?
l. How have you dealt with a team member that is on an ego trip?

The 5-minute presentation related to the financial crisis. It was a very easy topic - almost disturbingly easy. I was asked to take a stand on a specific question - so not too bad. The real surprise came at the end of the presentation - when he asked me for a counter-argument. Fortunately, I had one in mind which was probably not nearly as compelling as my original argument but it seemed good enough for the interviewer.

I don't know how I fared on the interview. It is very hard to judge. The interviewer was definitely a very nice guy and he really painted a good image for LBS. A huge thank you to all of you that shared your experiences on this forum. It really helped me prepare for this interview. I could not have reached so far without your help. Kudos to our student ambassadors from LBS on this forum (they know who they are!). They are shining examples of what we all should aspire to be at the end of our business school application journey.

Regards,

Pranav
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stanford '12
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [4] , given: 18

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
ok. LBS debrief.

i had my interview today, also with a mid 90s alum. he was a corporate executive in a multinational firm and of european descent. it was very clear to me that LBS picked him because of the similarity between his current role and the aspirations and experiences i described in my essays. luckily, the general tone of the interview was friendly, which put me at ease and our interview turned out to be very conversational in some parts.

his approach was to lay out a series of questions that you should expect in all these bschool interviews - all at the same tme: walk me through your resume, what are your career aspirations, short term and long term goals, explain why you want an mba, why LBS in particular.... so i spent the next several minutes answering all these questions and he asked follow ups depending on what i chose to speak about. (personally, i liked this approach because it allowed me to control my message and weave in several themes). halfway through the interview (unusual, but i think this was because my food was getting cold - we had an interview over breakfast) he gave me the opportunity to ask him any questions i had. it was a good thing i had prepared five or six, because he kept asking me if i had anything else like i was supposed to have an endless supply!

he also asked a series of teamwork example questions and teamwork challenge questions. and then a few questions about my travelling experiences (as relayed in my application). probably the most interesting question tho was: what do you see as some of the major opportunities in business today that are perhaps being overlooked? towards the end he also asked which other schools i had applied to and why. followed by what were my plans if i did not get accepted, and would i then consider reapplying. all the time while writing a copious amount of notes! he ended by giving me a few minutes to work on the presentation.

my topic was also related to the financial crisis. it was a good question, but i didnt consider it easy - and i have a finance background. the good news is that i think the point of the presentation is to judge your reasoning and presentation skills because even though the topic was finance, there was nothing technical about it. i liken it to the AWA section of the GMAT.

the interview lasted just under two hours. i think it went fairly well. hope this helps.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [3] , given: 9

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
hi guys, i just had my interview this afternoon. given that I found others' posts here on interview experiences very helpful, I'll share a quick debrief as well.

my interview was this afternoon (Sunday!) at the offices of my interviewer. I still decided to wear my best suit & tie and I think that was the right way to go. we actually started off with a bit of info on her background, what she did before LBS and current role (it turned out she had background in the industry I work in and also plan to work post-MBA - I hadn't realised that previously, as I only knew her current position which is very different to my background/interests). then she asked me about my current role, and a specific project i mentioned on my cv. We talked at length about my industry and she had some specific questions about trends, what should various market players do, etc. Definitely worth knowing your industry going into the interview!
We had the usual questions: leadership/team work story and style, a time I made a mistake, a time I took a risk (had to take a minute to think about this one). also had a couple of specific team work situtations and what I would do in those situations - relatively easy stuff.
Then came the presentation - this was more of a role play in my case, so prepare for that. As others have said, I think the key is to be structured - I presented a quick agenda upfront, and then talked through the 3 key points on there. Also good to close with a 'call for action' I think.

In the end I had time to ask my questions. Overall a very pleasant experience, and she was very friendly throughout, but also very professional. She really knew my application file inside out as well.
It was hard to read how I did, but she did eventually say that I did well and she would write a positive report.

I'm really glad I am done, and have the applications out of the way finally. Let's see what happens and if they decide to accept me.

I wish best of luck to everyone else applying and especially those with interviews coming up!
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
danek wrote:
Alright, I got a couple of pm's from R2 applicants asking me to share my interview experience. So I thought I would share it with everyone to give back to this forum.

My interviewer was a very senior executive in a top level management consulting firm. He was very approachable and made me feel very comfortable during the complete interview. He was genuinely trying to understand my background, my career goals and my fit with London Business School. Following are some things I remember about the interview:-

[redacted]

I came back and sent him a thankyou mail.

After reeceiving the admission, I again emailed him about my admit and thanked him again.

Hope you guys find this helful.

D.

All,

danek says something at the very end of his debrief which might seem routine, but which I think is of tremendous value, and should certainly be embraced by those of you fortunate enough to be short-listed for interviews in the coming stages. The comment about sending a thank you note after the e-mail, but then following up with another thank you and notification note about the Offer, is the one of the first steps to building a successful network within the London Business School Community before even arriving on campus in London.

I did precisely what danek just recommended in his/her post, and below, as a consequence, are the ripple effects of those actions:

My interviewer put me in touch with another alumni who works at his firm, and who had been active in a club I'm very interested in joining. I had dinner with that alumni who enjoyed our conversation, and gave me contact information for two other alumni within this club I fancy joining. I had a telephone chat with one of these contacts who, upon hearing of my post-MBA career goals, put me in touch with her brother, who is also an alumni of the programme, but more importantly, who happens to be working in the very industry, and at one of the very firms, I shall be targeting in the January milk rounds in 2011.

All in all, I've managed to network with seven London Business School alumni so far across Finance and Consulting, and I'm reminded that the subtle art of effectively building and expanding an optimal network before, during, and after attending a top MBA programme is one of the cornerstones that drive us to pursue these programmes in the first place.

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12

Kudos [?]: 26 [3] , given: 22

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 19:14
This post received
KUDOS
i'll toss my experience as well.

met my alumni at his own apartment. which i thought really helped ease the tension. i was sitting at a dinner table with many familiar things like family pictures and basic home items surrounding me which made the interview much more of a conversation feel rather than an "interview". his demeanor was very friendly and very easy to talk to. my questions were drawn directly from my application and essay responses and we did not go through the "walk me through your resume". since my experiences were unique, it was somewhat liberating not having to describe every position and its significance, and going directly to the meat of the issue. he also stated that there were "canned" questions that LBS had supplied him, but that he did not want to ask them because they were so generic and "boring". but the themes that he emphasized quite heavily was my experiences in teams and how and when i led. although my questions were highly personalized, it can be assumed that these characteristics is what others can take away from my interview experience and prepare for: "tell me about a time you led a team", "what was the outcome", "what did you learn", etc.

for the "case study", it was fairly simple but i believe i tripped up trying to be too thorough. My question revolved around private enterprises and government influences. it sounds more complicated than it was. it was fairly simple to answer, but i think i tried to do too much and would have liked maybe 3 more mins of prep time and may have come off a little stumbley. but regardless, it made me think that these "case" questions are matched to each interviewee because it seemed like it was near my wheel house of expertise, even though i didn't have a finance background.

lastly, after the presentation, we BS'd a bit talking about london, housing, travel, ECs, weather, finances, and even dating in and out of the school atmosphere. being in Southern California, he warned that i would hate the weather in London, but the upside was that with just a few bucks, i could be in paris or madrid at the drop of a hat.

after that, we shook hands and went our ways. i feel pretty confident about my performance, but hey, who knows?
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, LBS, LBS

Kudos [?]: 6 [3] , given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 00:27
This post received
KUDOS
Just came back from my interview. Brief as follows:

Interview was at 8:45 in downtown Mumbai (Nariman Point for those who know it). My alum is an AVP at a PE Fund in Mumbai. He's a Harvard Economics undergrad, and an LBS 2004 Alum - finance thru and thru.
So he had told me that if I arrived early, I should tell the guard and he'd make sure I was in a conference room. So as promised, the guard made sure I was well esconced in a conf room with coffee when he arrived. He was the picture of grace, and politeness, and made me feel very comfortable.

The interview itself was about 2 hours long, and it followed more of a conversational note rather than staccato questions thrown at me. He asked me to walk him through my background, education, career, roles I'd played. He asked me 3-4 questions about my leadership style, my teamwork experiences. When I explained my current role, he asked me what were the biggest impediments to growth in my business and what I would do to logically grow my company. We then discussed a few companies he'd worked on during his PE stint, and what their pros and cons were. We talked about the Retail and Export Apparel market, and he offered a lot of perspectives from his point of view (which was finance based). He then asked me a couple questions (probably questions he'd been told to ask, since he rolled his eyes, as he said "a couple of questions I Need to ask you"), like how would your teammates or friends describe you, why LBS, why Now, he asked me for a weakness, and he asked about the rationale for why I applied to only 3 colleges.

The presentation was based on the Aviation sector which was extremely coincidental, since a friend and I had been discussing this exact case over coffee about 2 weeks ago! So I told him this and he laughed, and said that I'd most probably be very prepared for this case. Anyhow, I outlined both sides of the case, and then made my point that sort of bridged the gap with a lot of detail. So then we discussed the aviation sector in India, and we
talked about how different it was abroad.

We then talked about the employment scenario in LBS, about his impression of Banks, MBA Leadership rotation programs, and opportunities. He said that you need to meet companies outside the Milk Rounds to make a better impact as well. He felt I was a good fit in LBS and it has great International diversity.

He spoke about his industry, and was very eloquent about it. He said that LBS is a great place to study as well. I asked him a couple of questions about electives and about the individual professor's performances since I'd heard something about it from a current student.

So that was it. It lasted about 2 hrs. I thanked him and he walked me out to the lobby.

I really liked the process. It felt like an adult conversation as opposed to an Indian B-School Interview I attended where I felt like a child being rebuked for stealing cookies.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS R3

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 15

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
woow hoo, did somebody just gave me a kudo :cool my very first kudo in gmatclub! Cheers :beer
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 435 [2] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hey folks the thread is a bit quiet. I'm finally in London and am still pretty jet lagged. Will start looking for apartments pretty soon. London is AWESOME. So much culture and it doesn't feel as crazy crowded as NYC. Although, the LBS campus leaves a little to be desired for. Chicago and Stern, schools that I visited last year, boasted of finer campuses, although only Stern compares in terms of location. Furthermore, Regents park, which is right behind the campus is simply stunning. Here are a few teaser snaps for those interested (feel free to use as avatar etc.)
Attachments

IMGP4454.jpg
IMGP4454.jpg [ 47.02 KiB | Viewed 5146 times ]

IMGP4455.jpg
IMGP4455.jpg [ 44.75 KiB | Viewed 5142 times ]

IMGP4449.jpg
IMGP4449.jpg [ 37.88 KiB | Viewed 5134 times ]

IMGP4450.jpg
IMGP4450.jpg [ 72.17 KiB | Viewed 5136 times ]

IMGP4453.jpg
IMGP4453.jpg [ 77.82 KiB | Viewed 5127 times ]

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern' 2012

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
Here goes my update about my interview from today evening-

It was very very conversational. Since my interviewer was 09 grad, she was taking it very light and kept it friendly rather than Q&A. However, she had prepared few questions based on my application and discussed those. Overall, we talked a lot although it took only one hour overall as she skipped few common questions as to why MBA etc since I am looking for career transition which made it fairly obvious why. So although I thought timewise it was shorter than most other people, I feel I was able to communicate the major points. Let me get few details for those who are preparing-

1. Some details about one of my experience which she found interesting.
2. How will I realize my transition.
3. 2-3 questions on team experience/leadership.
4. Whats my experience in dealing with diversity.
5. Discuss my strengths.
6. How will I contribute to my study groups.

Then came the presentation, she was very helpful and told me to not worry about the presentation at all and just talk naturally. I cant disclose the topic but was a role play too and I had to present my opinion. I think it went decently well since I could come with structured points and discuss for sometime.

She kept taking little notes here and there when I was talking for long. After the presentation, it was my turn for questions but we just started talking again. She gave me a brief tour of her office and told me about a lot of her experiences at LBS.

I forgot to ask for explicit feedback but I didn't get any negative impression.

Except for the relatively short duration of interview, I feel I did the best I could and got a better feeling than the one I had last year when I was WL at other places. Rest, the time will tell.

For those who are interviewing soon - I didn't get any baffling questions and presentation will be fine as long as you take it easy. Besides, I believe that LBS alumni are just phenomenally friendly and will not make you nervous anyways.

Attire - I dressed in a suit since I was meeting her in her office but she was in casuals. However, it didn't feel awkward anyway. So, if your interviewer hasn't communicated anything on this topic, I feel business formals might be the way to go.

If you have any specific questions, pm me.

Thanks to whoever provided updates here and bsd. I had started getting nervous but it was nice to vent it out here :)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 21:27
This post received
KUDOS
humblewinner wrote:
DoctorManhattan wrote:
I also applied to Wharton and Kellogg and was accepted to both (with Kellogg offering generous financial consideration).

wow! Congratulations on your triple offers!! Where are you headed and why ? Would you also mind sharing your profile briefly. Thanks.

humblewinner,

Thanks for the congratulations! I appreciate it!

I believe I'll ultimately end up accepting the London Business School offer. I've always wanted a global MBA in a really global environment. The other American programmes I applied to are fantastic, but they don't come close to the sort of diversity I crave and would experience in London. Further, I'm not overly keen on excessively large MBA programmes that bear the distinct aura of MBA mass production, and have been convinced that such is not the vibe at London Business School; a close-knit community feeling prevails, so I'm told, which is more in line with my preferences for an MBA programme.

My profile: Male/700 GMAT/3.6 University GPA (American)/Finance Background (~4 years by matriculation in Wall Street Asset Management)/Extensive community involvement in the Greater New York area and during University/Published Author

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
humblewinner wrote:
Looking at various student blogs, SA website and google, I think 200-250 pounds per week is what we are looking at for a studio and 250-350 for a 1 br flat if we want to live at a walkable distance from school (St Johns Wood, Marlyeborne, bakers street etc). We may be able to save some if the apartment is shared. I was looking at the possibility of living 3-4 miles away from the school and saving some money. I could find a couple of college accomodations with studios for around 125-150$ per week. I need to figure out if commuting even this distance would cost as much as the rent saved. Also if biking is an option at all in this part of London (ofcourse, weather will be an issue!).. I wuld be more inclined to a studio accomodation with a shared kitchen.. what would be the right budget, the blogs I have come across are all pretty old.

Those housing figures look about right -- apparently we are doing better than the MBA2009s and MBA2010s in that regard, since housing prices dropped considerably once the economic crisis hit. Within our class, we have seen flat sharing range from 150 to 250 GBP per week for a private bedroom, depending on flat quality, distance from campus, and whether or not an ensuite is included.

Baker Street and Marylebone are the most popular options, given their walking distance. But there are indeed students living in St Johns Wood and Maida Vale, which are slightly further (and cheaper -- Baker Street/Marylebone in Zone 1 and can get very expensive). Still, other students live even further in Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road or Camden. We even have some people living in faraway distant lands south of the Thames. :lol:

Generally, people stay closer to campus during the first year, as classes can potentially start at 8:15 and end as late as 6:30, plus time spent at the library and study group work, etc. Second-year students tend to move out into other parts of London so they can explore more of the city (and since classes are only 2-3 days a week).

In terms of budget, the figures on the LBS website are still fairly accurate. To put it in perspective, LBS caps living expenses at 20k GBP per school year (i.e. 9-10 months) for the purposes of US loan borrowing, so that is basically the high-end. I would say 1500-2000 GBP per month is a fair estimate, with the potential for lower expenses if you live frugally.

Transport is fairly simple, as mentioned -- student passes are 30% off, though if you live within walking distance of campus, it might be better to just get a top-up Oyster account, since you may not need to use transport that much. For example, a monthly Zone 1-2 pass (including buses) is 70 GBP with the discount, or 720 GBP for an annual pass. There are plenty of bike racks on campus as well -- bsd_lover is the expert on biking to campus... :P

Cost of other things (groceries, etc.) is reasonable IMO, considering London's size. Personally, my biggest expenses have been housing and entertainment/going out (I've been blowing through the leisure budget by double almost every month :oops:).
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 14

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 18:27
This post received
KUDOS
After seeing the profiles of some of the people who have been dinged, I consider myself truly lucky to have received an interview. The Adcom must place a higher value on diversity and breadth of experience than on test score/gpa - unique for an institution of such an esteemed academic caliber. I hope to have some of you as classmates in the future. Best of luck to all of you for the interview! To those who didn't make it to the interview phase, remember that it's not because you are any less than those who received interviews: perhaps, you just happen to belong to a demographic that is more competitive.

M/28/US/Top Public 3.4/680(Q46,V37,5.5)/MediaInvBanker/TopInternetCoM&A/Actor/Talent Manager
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
4test1 wrote:
Looking at the amazing profiles of the unlucky ones who got dinged, it just seems like that's all it really says - that they are merely unlucky. It also looks like LBS gives lesser importance to the GMAT and weighs international exposure (perhaps they are building a certain mix) and WE much more.

I personally feel extremely lucky to have gotten to the interview stage and believe this will be the most difficult part of the entire process for me. I know bsd_lover and Dr. Manhattan have taken pains to list out interview feedback here but it would be great to have their inputs on how to best use the next few weeks to prepare well. LBS is my first and only real option - and the process is far from over.

4test1 & Pranaysrinivasan,

Interview Summary:

My alumnus interviewer (we shall call him Alfred) had a pre- and post-MBA background similar to mine in general industry; albeit, markedly different in sub-industry. Alfred’s manner was brisk, friend, friendly, candid, and keen.

The interview was conducted at the Alfred’s offices at a time the both of us had agreed to. We’d had some back-and-forth about schedules, and ultimately locked in a slot.

If I recall correctly, my interview lasted about 90 minutes, and it proceeded as follows:

• Alfred asked me to walk him through my background (not CV) which I did. I’ve got a rather varied, international, cultural, educational, and career background, and he was sufficiently interested to ask questions here and there. This probably took 7-10 minutes, and then there was a perceptible change in his demeanour; he shifted in his seat, uncrossed his legs (he’d had one ankle casually draped over one knee) and planted both feet firmly on the ground, fixing me with an eagle-stare signaling that we were about to wade into more vigorous conversation.

• The next half hour or so was spent with Alfred probing me very thoroughly as to the so-called three “Why’s:” “Why an MBA?,” “Why London Business School?,” and “Why now?” He was less interested in “Why now?” and far more focused on the former two. I believe between these two points, he placed ~ 40% emphasis on “Why London Business School?” with the rest on “Why an MBA?” Alfred made me explain my “Career Plan” to him in-depth, and made me provide anecdotal evidence that backed up my rationale (for both my career plan and the three “Why’s” which led to a thorough conversation into all the research I’d done whilst completing my applications to London Business School. While he did not prompt me per se, I mentioned Information Sessions I’d attended, current students and alumni I’d spoken with, post-MBA success of previous classes and how I’d been motivated by the programme’s employment reports, etcetera, etcetera. He did not stop probing and prodding till he had satisfied himself. After this, he relaxed his eagle-stance, informed me that I’d told him precisely what he was looking for on the former 2 “Why’s”, and then resumed swiveling in his seat while we made small talk for a few minutes. The small talk was enhanced by my familiarity with the programme based on research I had conducted during the application process, and he remarked more than once that he was impressed.

• He then told me his story, and how he had carefully evaluated London Business School before deciding it was right for him After this, we switched to my application. He remarked that my essays were interesting, compelling, well-written, and showed true fit with the London Business School Community.

• About 50 minutes into the interview, Alfred produced a list of 5 topics and without giving me a choice (some interviewers, I have heard, offer a choice of topics to the candidate), asked me to prepare a 5-minute oral presentation for the topic and left the room. He told me I had five minutes to prepare, but I believe he gave me ten. He returned to the room, and asked me to start. It did not go very well. It did not go badly; however, I’m a good and confident speaker, and found the concept of a forensic monologue to an audience of one, in a windowless conference room, to be uninspiring and unnatural. I stopped speaking in just under three minutes. This was, in my opinion, the low point of my interview.

• We then kicked around a bit, and he asked me to stay in touch regardless of what my final decision might be with respect to deciding what programme to attend should I obtain admissions offers from all, or some, of my target schools. Funny, now that I say this, I do not recall him asking me where else I was applying; though, I’m left with a hazy impression that he did! He said I’d be great for the programme, that he would be recommending me for an offer. He suggested I keep him apprised of my progress thereafter.

• We made small talk as he concluded the interview, and led me out to the lifts. We swapped business cards at that time.

• For personal reasons, I do believe my interview experience deviated slightly, but not significantly, from the norm with other alumni.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I have been following this thread for a long time but didn't want to post anything until I had heard back from the school.

Unfortunately, it is not good news. I got a ding as well.

I thought I had a good profile - 7-8 years work-ex in a top global IT company, lived and worked in 3 different countries, plenty of leadership experience, GMAT just below 700, UG degree from a top 20 business school. I had a very good interview too. Right now, I'm scratching my head thinking what else the school expects. Overall, it has been a great learning process, excruciating at times, but this thread has made it easier in many ways (knowing that there are others in the same boat).

I wish all the successful admits the best, if you've made it through this then you must be truly special. :-)

Thanks again for sharing all your stories.
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 435 [2] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
hi all I have received several requests for advice on how to get off waitlist. I am really sorry for those who didn't make it. Often admissions decisions often boils down luck and factors beyond our own control (like the existing class build up). Due to time constraints I wont be able to post in detail but here are some older posts that may help those of you on waitlist.

the-london-business-school-2010-thread-78838-380.html#p663720

the-london-business-school-2009-thread-70701-480.html#p583901

how-leverandon-is-going-to-get-off-of-the-waitlist-at-darden-75302.html#p566150

the-london-business-school-2009-thread-70701-220.html#p557838

A search on keywords waitlist by bsd_lover may yield more entries but the general advice is consistent (I think). One additional request: Dont give up - the reward is well worth it !!
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2010, 23:43