Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2011 Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 03:03
srjaidev wrote:
So my question is - is 2 months sufficient to write the essays or is it better if I start doing college research and essay drafting now itself?

Definitely start doing research on b-schools now (please don't refer to them as "colleges" :-) hehe). 2 months is enough time to write essays, but the research has to start as soon as possible (sometimes even 1 year in advance, e.g. attending info sessions, scheduling class visits (where feasible), going to MBA fairs, speaking to alumni, etc.).

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 09:09
oops! :-P
I try making sure that I say/write "b-school", but here in a small town in India people call any institution that gives a degree a "college" which kind of sticks :-(.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:19
Hi all,

So I'm actually applying this year (I've been meaning to apply since 2008 and I believe I've posted my intention to apply in the last two LBS threads as well!). I wanted to apply in R1 (don't we all?) but the deadline's in about 2 seconds so I've decided that having 3 extra months to retake the GMAT, take that mbamath.com course, and expand my business (I bake) can only enhance my application. Procrastination is a horrible, horrible thing.

My info:
-26 y/o female from a relatively underrepresented country

-4.5 years' w.e. by matriculation (2 years for-profit in shipping; 10 months non-profit with the special guest on the Oct 13 episode of the Simpsons; 3 years running a non-profit/part-time company turned for-profit/full-time)

-GMAT: To be taken sometime before the end of the year (I literally passed out the first time I took it - not bc of the exam, but because the test center was a bit like hell on earth). Practice scores hover around 700 but it all usually depends on my caffeine intake; I'm aiming for a 750+ because it would obv help with internships/job recruitment.

-GPA: 3.58/4.0 (cum laude) in English Literature (hence the mbamath.com course to offset the fact that I haven't touched math since 12th grade).

-International experience: Born+ brought up in 4 countries until the age of 17; fluent in 3 languages

Totally applying this year. Let the fun begin!

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 12:15
best of luck, sharshar84 :-)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), Ivey+$$$
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 16:28
bpenn wrote:
Embeayy wrote:
Application deadlines for Fall 2011 are out :

http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/applying.html

I'm a little concerned, it seems that the application form shall become available towards the end of September, and R1 deadline is the first week of October? That gives my recommenders less than 2 weeks to write LORs...

They just changed it to read "late September". That concerns me too. Not much lead time for rec's. Other than that I don't have a problem with 2-3 weeks to input my info and essays.

The website now says mid-September...

Am I being obsessive? I think so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 07:08
tmino wrote:
I actually heard an interesting fact the other day from the MBA director. LBS receives most applications in R2, which is not surprising, but he said that more applications are received in R3 than R1! But there were at least 2-3 times more offers given out in R1 than R3. So always avoid R3 (and of course R4). As to R1 vs. R2; in R1 your chances tend to be better (last year roughly ~180 offers in R1 vs. roughly ~220 offers in R2, but we know that LBS receives way more applications in R2).

Agree though with trump, apply when you can present the best application possible.

Hi Thomas, I saw this post in another thread. The post is pretty old. Does it still hold? :(
I guess its because one gets more time to prepare for the essays in R2 than in R1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 09:38
I find you blog very useful, especially all the stats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 07:28
Hurray!
I just checked and found that LBS is coming as part of the MBA tour to Bangalore, India!
http://www.thembatour.com/events/bangalore.shtml
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 151

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 19:16
Guys,

Do you write LBS or "London Business School" or "London" when you refer to the school in your essays?

I'm writing the "Why London Business School" question but I'm not sure whether they like to be referred as LBS (shorter). In he web they seem to use always "London Business School" (longer)

Thanks

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 20:20
rid82 wrote:
Guys,

Do you write LBS or "London Business School" or "London" when you refer to the school in your essays?

I'm writing the "Why London Business School" question but I'm not sure whether they like to be referred as LBS (shorter). In he web they seem to use always "London Business School" (longer)

Thanks

Hi rid82, good question! I have been through the School website quite thoroughly and I haven't found it addressing the school as LBS anywhere. Its almost always London Business School, especially when addressing the faculty or students, and at other times just 'school'. I did a search on the keyword 'LBS' on the site and found that only document names have LBS! :O

So, I would suggest you to keep away from using LBS in the essays.

Perhaps bsd_lover or tmino could answer better.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 02:09
I think officially the school never calls itself LBS in order to avoid the common confusion with LSE. Unofficially, everybody says LBS though :-).

I would use London Business School in my essays (that's what I did), but I'm sure you won't be penalized for using LBS.

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Current Student

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 02:22
Thanks tmino.

The issue is that I always struggle to keep my essay within the word limits and writing "London Business School" is wasting 2 words every time...

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), Ivey+$$$
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 04:49
srjaidev wrote:
rid82 wrote:

So, I would suggest you to keep away from using LBS in the essays.

Perhaps bsd_lover or tmino could answer better.

I agree. I have been using "London Business School" in my essays.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD Class of J'12

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 09:09
Chaps,

Anyone attending/ attended LBS info session on campus 13th Sept? If so, any news on when actually the application will go live.

I think they are testing everyone's patience this year!

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 10:38
cpandya14 wrote:
Chaps,

Anyone attending/ attended LBS info session on campus 13th Sept? If so, any news on when actually the application will go live.

I think they are testing everyone's patience this year!

Cheers

There is a session here at Bangalore, India on 19th. If the application doesn't start by then, I can bring up the question. Did you try mailing them?
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD Class of J'12

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 04:56
Thanks. I called Ad Com on 6th Sep and they were testing the new system then also.. I think they are moving to apply online type system similar to US universities.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 15:05
American applicants: How many of you will consciously use English spelling, as opposed to American?
Current Student

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 01:53
guys, the application is still down and there are only 2-3 weeks to go. I need my recommender to send the letter before he leaves on vacations...

Anyone knows what is happening here?

Current Student

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 01:59
bpenn wrote:
skahuh wrote:
American applicants: How many of you will consciously use English spelling, as opposed to American?

haha Oxford v Webster? Much to my British wife's chagrin, I will remain a Yank, no matter where I go to school

btw, as a non-native I struggle to find the differences between American and British English. I know some rules such as program-programme, center-centre and others, but not every one.

Sometimes I don't know if I'm writing in American or British English and I mix them. For example, yesterday I found a 'typo' in one of my Chicago essays as I had written "learned" in the first paragraph and "learnt" in the last. Some of them are caught by Word but not all.

I will try to review them 100 times but what if I miss some of these typs? Do you think it would be an issue?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 03:15
BSD_Lover and tmino,

I have been admitted to Sloan Masters program of LBS; I am joining the program in Jan 2011 and I am 34. I want to know more about the LBS HSBC loan. How hard is it to get the LBS HSBC loan (especially for an Indian and 34 years)? What are the documents that are required? And what extra caution should I have to take to get the loan?
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2010, 03:15