Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2011 Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 00:24
I keep getting asked for information regarding london business school clubs.

Check here for clubs and when in doubt contact the club leaders directly (I know personally of only a subset of these clubs which I am a member of)

http://clubs.london.edu/sa/student-clubs/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 00:30
dude recognized?So good to see u....way back 08....my 2nd shot in Nov...hope u doing good
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 07:43
Hi suyash I vaguely do remember. Good luck buddy. Persistance pays off ...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 169

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 10:15
27 year old, 4.5 years of experience in US, UK, Kazakhstan.
Gmat 650
GPA 4.89/5.00 Master's in Automation

Purely technical and project management experience in Petroleum Industry.

PS: looking to improve Gmat to 750

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 04:07
all....is anyone's recommendation likely to be submitted after the 6th date?

mine are, and wondering if that take me out of R1? some place on the website, it says no, but just asking....

thanks!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 04:11
Embeayy wrote:
skahuh wrote:
2) Why risk it? I'm sure you can trim 5-10 words without compromising the quality of your essay.

I agree. You don't want to piss off the AdCom, especially when they explicitly state that any words in excess of the limit may be disregarded.

thanks Embeayy and Skahuh!
Close to submitting mine...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 18

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 12:36
I am planning to submit 1 academic and 1 work related recommendation. How does LBS react to academic recos?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Finance Treasury
WE 2: Entrepreneur
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 21:09
Submitted my R1 application. Good Luck to fellow applicants.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 169

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 01:27
Hi I'm planning to apply to LBS for an executive MBA degree. However, I have only 5 years of experience in the Petroleum Company: 2 years in US, 2 years in Kazakhstan and 1 year in UK. I have Master's in Engineering. My work has purely been technical and project management. I have managed several big projects, and currently working on 3 projects with total value over $50M.

GMAT - 650
GPA - 4.89 ou of 5.00

My question: How realistic is it to get into Executive MBA with 5 years of experience.

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 03:51
you will need to provide strong rationale for why Executive MBA is more suitable for you. EMBA is more for advanced stage professionals with over 10 years WE.

Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 05:26
bsd_lover wrote:
you will need to provide strong rationale for why Executive MBA is more suitable for you. EMBA is more for advanced stage professionals with over 10 years WE.

Hi bsd, could you tell me how LBS reacts if I provide them with an academic recommendation instead of both work related recommendation. The reason I want one acad reco is because I am at very good terms with my former professor who happens to be the director of international affairs currently in one of the top private engineering college in my country.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 06:12
summitbid wrote:
all....is anyone's recommendation likely to be submitted after the 6th date?

mine are, and wondering if that take me out of R1? some place on the website, it says no, but just asking....

thanks!

Last year, they allowed for up to a week after the deadline for references to come in, but I haven't seen anything like that this year. Did anyone else?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 06:52
There is indeed a one week recommendation grace period.
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 06:56
LBS is not especially focused on academics - the average age reflects the importance of work experience. Although the ad-com may never admit it on record, I personally feel that they would prefer a work recommendation.

shekharvineet wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

Hi bsd, could you tell me how LBS reacts if I provide them with an academic recommendation instead of both work related recommendation. The reason I want one acad reco is because I am at very good terms with my former professor who happens to be the director of international affairs currently in one of the top private engineering college in my country.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 07:00
bsd_lover wrote:
LBS is not especially focused on academics - the average age reflects the importance of work experience. Although the ad-com may never admit it on record, I personally feel that they would prefer a work recommendation.

shekharvineet wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

I can echo this. I have a poor undergrad record and I called admissions to discuss how to list my mathematics and statistics graduate extension courses. They literally told me that those classes weren't important and they don't recommend anyone take courses to offset a poor academic record. Much different than US schools.
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 08:44
bsd_lover wrote:

shekharvineet wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

Thanks. I suppose then I have to submit both work related recos. Now have to go and ask my supervisor to write me a reco
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 08:47
bsd_lover wrote:

shekharvineet wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

When you say that LBS is not especially focused on academics, then can I take it for granted that my average undergrad cgpa would not create a barrier provided that I smash the Gmat (700+), and write stellar essays.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 11:10
Just hit the submit button for R1....................
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ICAI, CIMA
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, ISB and......
WE 1: N.C.Rajagopal & Co, Chartered Accountants
WE 2: NCR Consultants Limited

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 11:22
hi guys.. submitted my application... hope everything goes on well..
CEO
CEO

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 15:03
Well no you can't take this for granted either. Its a matter of "relative" importance. If undergraduate grades were an issue and if there were exinuating circumstances, do write an essay describing this.
shekharvineet wrote:
When you say that LBS is not especially focused on academics, then can I take it for granted that my average undergrad cgpa would not create a barrier provided that I smash the Gmat (700+), and write stellar essays.

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2010, 15:03