Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2015, 18:51
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2011 Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 3

The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Please use the following form to add your stats to the spreadsheet: Form link

Edit Link: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Av3d03301eNIdE5KVndqQmRvZWVrdWdvYUdPWV9xS0E&hl=en#gid=0

Spreadsheet

It is never too early! :)

My name is Brad and LBS is my top choice, followed by two US schools. I hope all my fellow 2011 LBS applicants can share their application progress on this thread much like the 2010 LBS thread.

I actually attended an MBA fair last fall and spoke with the LBS staff and got the ball rolling then. Over the past 6 months or so it has become apparent that LBS fits what I am hoping to get from an MBA and I'm focusing my efforts accordingly.

I checked today and it looks like they've put up the essay questions. I'm on vacation for the next month, so it will give me time to draft a couple first drafts. I've already read a couple MBA Admissions books and have a spreadsheet filled with my brainstorming for the general topics that appear on the essays. I'm still not sure whether I will use a consultant to review my essays or whether I will go the friends, family and colleagues route. Beside the obvious cost of a consultant I feel that drafting and editing myself is almost a matter of pride, ...or maybe hubris. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My info:
30 y/o male (American)
7 years work experience (real estate finance)
710 GMAT (95% V, 75% Q)
low undergrad GPA

Best of luck to everyone and I look forward to possibly sharing a stream with you at LBS!
Brad

LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL
ImageImage

Information on the school:
MBA home page : http://www.london.edu/mba.html
Employment report : http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/be ... mpact.html
Social Clubs : http://www.londonsa.org/dynamic/club_list.php

2010 Information Event Schedule: http://www.london.edu/programmes/infoevents/do?progSelect=MBA&locationSelect=

Mckinsey recruiting at LBS - http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/lbs/home.aspx

Ranked #1 school in the WORLD by FT in 2009. Link - http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... a-rankings

LBS 2010 thread can be found here: the-london-business-school-2010-thread-78838.html
LBS 2009 thread can be found here: the-london-business-school-2009-thread-70701.html
LBS 2008 thread can be found here : lbs-r1-roll-call-54115.html

LBS online application can be found here : https://www.london.edu/register/do?actionId=186
Recommendor forms : http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/ ... ctions.pdf

Other programs offered:
Executive MBA: http://www.london.edu/programmes/executivemba.html
Executive MBA-Global:http://www.emba-global.com/
Masters in Finance: http://www.london.edu/programmes/mastersinfinance.html

Last edited by bpenn on 25 Aug 2010, 00:18, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 294 [4] , given: 151

Reviews Badge
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 23:57
This post received
KUDOS
As promised, here my "LBS interview debrief".

The interviewer was an Alumnus that works in an European Investment Bank.

The interview was at 6 PM. He welcomed me, offered me a glass of water and we went to a meeting room. He had printed my entire application. He was cordial but serious.

Once there, he explained me the interview structure: he would make me questions, then the 5 minutes impromptu presentation and finally he would talk about his career and answer to my questions. About the presentation, he said that he had chosen one topic among six proposed by the AdCom, that it was fine for him if I spoke less than 5 minutes, and that the goal was to see how I think and how I make presentations.

So he started asking me questions taking some notes as I spoke. Here some I remember and in this order:
- Explain me who you are
- Tell me when you have a conflict leading people (I was surprised with a hard question so early)
- Tell me when you led people and you resolved a conflict with someone else in your team
- Tell me what you learned in those situations
- What strengths and weaknesses the people you led would tell me about you?
- Why an MBA and why now
- Career goals
- Why your current career won't help you to achieve your goals and you prefer to do an MBA?
- I see you have applied to other schools, why would you choose LBS over them? Why did you apply to X? and Y? and Z?
- What do you like from LBS?
- How would you be involved in the LBS community?
- Tell me when you had a cultural shock problem and how did you solve it
- Why are you interested in X? (something specific about the school that I've put in my essays)
- What is happening in the world regarding the financial crisis?
- What are the problems Spain has? (I’m from Spain)
- What would you change in Spain regarding those problems?

Then he gave me a piece of paper, a pen and the topic of the presentation. He gave me about 3-5 minutes to prepare.It remembered me a lot to a TOEFL Speaking question. The difference was that the topic was harder but I had much more time to prepare. I think I spoke about 5 minutes but I'm not sure, maybe it was less.

The last 30 minutes were very interesting as he spoke a lot about his career, the MBA program, why I should do it, about things he liked, things he didn't, about the city of London, where to live, what clubs he liked, about the study groups, first and second year projects, internship, etc. I made him a lot of questions as we talked. It was a very interesting conversation and I think he was honest in all his opinions.

The whole think lasted about 1h20 minutes.

I hope this helps.

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS (Waitlist), IESE(ding), Haas (R2 - ding), Anderson(R2 - Interview - Waitlist), Stern(R2 - IN!! with $$)
WE 1: MS, Electrical Engg, USC
WE 2: Research and Dev Engineer (3.5 years)

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 18:04
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview a few days back and I have listed some of the questions that I was asked (atleast the ones I remember!)
As I mentioned before, my interviewer was from the same industry as me; in fact the company she works for is a major client of ours!
The questions in random order are listed below..

- What would your team mates have to say about you?
- How do you handle pressure/ stress?
- What are some of your limitations/ weaknesses?
- Example of when you led a group of people to achieve a common objective
- What other schools you are applying to? Where does LBS stand?
- Why LBS?
- Why MBA now?
- Example of when you took a risk - both personal and professional
- Example of a setback/ failure and how you dealt with it
- What do you think is the best way for diverse strangers in a group to get to bond as quickly as possible?
- How would you contribute to a study group?
- Long term and short term goals
- What do you are some of the opportunities and challenges facing the industry in the near future?
- Do you think your company is well equipped to exploit these opportunities?
- What would you change about your company's strategy for the future?
- What distinguishes you from all other MBA applicants?
- Example of when somebody on your team frustrated me and how you dealt with it

There were probably a few more questions but I cant seem to remember them.
The questions were pretty standard and from the huge question bank reported by prior applicants on the forums. I dont think I can say I was particularly surprised or caught unawares by any question.

The presentation she had chosen for me seemed more on the lines of an analysis - I was given 2 pieces of information and asked to make a decision based on them.

After the presentation, we moved to my questions. Considering she had been out of school for a while, my questions were generally focused around how LBS had impacted her life etc. She answered the questions comprehensively along with her motivations for choosing LBS, how it had impacted her life at every step along her career etc.

She took notes through out the interview and didnt really offer any feedback beyond a courteous smile and nodding of the head.

Hope this is useful to anybody who is yet to go through the interview. Good luck to everybody!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [4] , given: 9

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 21:08
This post received
KUDOS
For those interviewing, here’s my R1 experience and some key takeaways. Hope the post isn’t too long. Send me a PM for more details.

In case you don’t already know, LBS provides your full application to your interviewer, which naturally gives some insight into your strengths and weaknesses and lends itself to an in-depth interview. What your interviewer does with this info is obviously up to him or her. It seems, based on other debriefs, that some will stick to stock interview questions (why MBA, why LBS, short & long term goals, give me an example of …) and expect you to give answers different from your essays.

Another possibility is that your interviewer will dive into your weaknesses. This was definitely my experience, as my interviewer didn’t ask any of the usual MBA questions. After a couple minutes having me share some stories about my resume, he started asking about how my previous experience pertained to my future goals. I wrote in my essays about viewing LBS as bit of a launch pad into international work but was also upfront about how I currently lack international experience. My interviewer kept saying that he didn’t see how my previous experience pertained to my future goals and then would ask me to explain/clarify. I kept bringing it back to how LBS would fill this gap in my experience. This circle of questioning ultimately made me nervous and a bit defensive towards him hammering me on a weakness I was very upfront about in my essays. Needless to say, the interview was not going well, and I was starting to feel my dream school slipping away.

Ultimately, he admitted that he was testing me and pushing me to better sell myself. I wish I had perceived that at the time. Rather than recognizing the test, I thought he was actually suggesting I wasn’t qualified for LBS and my goals were pointless. I must have rebounded really well in the impromptu presentation, however, because when I finished, he told me it was the best he had seen in his several years of LBS interviews. I left the interview with very mixed feelings, but in the end, I was accepted.

So a couple takeaways. First, LBS interviews can vary immensely. It ultimately depends on the personality of your interviewer, and since they have your full application, they can take the interview wherever they want. Second, your interviewer may try to test you or push you. While it may come across as abrasive, don’t be fooled into thinking that your interviewer is actually questioning your qualifications. If you’re invited to interview, there are certainly no deal breakers in your application. Just remember that you are undoubtedly a potential fit for the school.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD (R1-admit)

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview today over lunch hour with an alumnus who was working as a marketing manager for an MNC. She was very friendly and as we were taking the elevator up to the conference rooms, she told me a bit about her job scope and the business culture of the firm.

She had my application with her and had obviously read through my entire profile including the essays. So her questions were all directed at specific aspects of my resume and essays. Some of her questions were:
1. Why the transition from clinical practice to management? Will you miss clinical practice?
2. Tell me about the thought process you went through when deciding to do XX?
3. Some people say that doctors/dentists are the worst team players. What do you think?
4. Tell me about the leadership experience you mentioned in the essay.
5. Can you tell me why you applied to INSEAD? Why will you pick LBS over INSEAD?

The questions took about 40mins in total. Then she gave me a piece of paper with the presentation question and 5mins to ponder over it.
She picked a topic relating to business ethics; I wrote some thoughts down on the paper and presented my answer over 2-3mins.
She then asked me what my thought processes were when I approached the problem. I was really worried about the presentation part prior to the interview, now I realise that it is truly the easiest part of the interview (like what everyone else said). They are just looking at how you approach the question and not the content. I asked her a few questions after that about the school in general and we ended the interview. Took about 1.5 hours in total.

For those who haven't had their interviews yet, I hope this helps. Be sure to read your application essays again and again before your interview. That is really the most important aspect I think. Good luck everyone!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
Finally I did my interview today with a LBS alumnus, which lasted about 1:30h. It was at his place which left me a bit uncomfortable in the beginning I must say, but then I got convinced that it was far better than sitting in any office. The interviewer was always very polite and explained the structure of the whole interview very well so that there were no hidden surprises. He started with the typical question of giving a brief overview of my career. Then he also asked particular questions about my professional life which I had written in my applications essays. He then moved to a set of more generic questions. Here are some which I still recall:

1) Why an MBA? Why LBS?
2) How will you balance your MBA with your family and personal life?
3) Tell me a about a failure in your professional life and what lesson did you learn?
4) What are the differences between the leadership of the past and the leadership of the present?
5) Which characteristics do you think a leader has to have?
6) Tell me something about yourself? (this was the last question)
7) How do other people see you (good traits and bad traits)?

We then moved to the presentation and I must say that it was very easy (unless I got it completely wrong). The case consisted on a chemical products company which was based in a country with very tight environmental laws. The manager of the company decided to do business in a country where the environmental were more loose so that he could take advantage of that fact and increase the company profits. As a worker of that company I was supposed to advise the manager of whether or not that would be a good option.

The interviewer then spent about 30-40 minutes talking about the school (he was really passionate about it) and answering some specific questions that I had about the program. Overall I think it was good but still need to wait until the 15th to know the outcome. Fingers crossed and good luck for all.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 294 [2] , given: 151

Reviews Badge
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
I have my interview tomorrow.

I hope my interviewer is not as hard as the one that had the following applicant :shock: :

16. Round 2 / Alumnus / Off-campus (Published March 9th, 2010)

I had an interview in March 2010 and it took 3 hours, out of which 30-40 minutes were devoted to my questions.

The questions I was asked are as follows (as far as I remember):

Related to school, career:
* Why LBS?
* Why MBA?
* Imagine a world without an MBA. What would you do? (I understood as what I would do to achieve my professional goals?) If you can achieve your goals without an MBA why do you want to get an MBA?
* How would you contribute to your study group at LBS from professional point of view?
* What will be your personal development after arriving at LBS?
* Imagine that some people in your study group are not contributing enough and your talk to them didn't help. What would you do next? How would you handle it? How would you feel?
* Walk me through your resume
* What would you do after an MBA? Location, company, industry, position.
* Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Related to leadership, achievement, behavior:

* Are you a leader? Why so?
* What is the difference between a born leader and a manager? Who do you admire as a leader?
* What characteristics should a successful business leader have?
* Leadership experience. Resolving conflicting situation. 2 examples.
* What is your most significant achievement?
* What is the toughest decision you made in your life?
* What are your strong points?
* What are your weaknesses from the point of your friend? Do you agree with him/her? What other weaknesses do you have?
* What are the key things for success? Or what is success for you?
* What do you think are the development areas in your communication skills? How do you plan to improve them? (This was asked after a 5-minute presentation)

General questions:
* What would you do if you had $10 million?
* What would you do if you had unlimited money?
* What is going wrong in the world today? Why? What should be done about it?
* How financial crisis happened?

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Did someone forget to click the "Send" button before going home ? ;-)
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 493 [2] , given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
2nd year projects are extremely open ended - as long as a faculty member approves the work to constitute enough work as a project. Its done in a group of 2 or 3 (depending on the work). Firms post such projects on the portal, but many students source their own project through contacts and networking. The students are responsible for negotiating the scope and outcomes of the project. An example project could be a market entry strategy for a start-up or a competitor analysis for a retailer or a portfolio optimisation strategy for a fund - it could really be anything as long as there is academic relevance and constitute enough work. The money part is also very open ended. Many students do projects with non-profits or charities or in an interesting as an "in" and do not get paid for it. Others get paid decent amounts.

tryinghard wrote:
Can an existing student share details on the Second Year consulting project. What sort of projects does the students get and what is the process for getting a project of your liking. Is there a pool of projects that students pick.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [2] , given: 26

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
zimzamzum wrote:
We met in a coffee shop

You probably meant a cafe? Do you know what a coffee shop is? No wonder why the interview took so long :lol:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: London Business School

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 22:34
This post received
KUDOS
NikkiMBA wrote:
Guys- can we expect a lot of questions from the resume (like detailed questions) or is it an even balance between Why Mba, LBS, now? leadership examples, international experiences, clubs that you want to contribute to, changes made in your career and decision reasoning behind that, etc.

Please advise - Thank you!!!

NikkiMBA, I will advise you to be prepared for
1. The conventional Qs like Why MBA, now, LBS etc.
2. Any thing that you think is unique in your application like some unique leadership/international experiences etc.

There are two types of Qs that are asked by the interviewer. First, the questions that the interviewer wants to ask and second is what adcom wants the interviewer to ask you.

All the best for your interview.

Cheers
Punzo
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 15:57
This post received
KUDOS
BeeSkool wrote:

I'd also love to have someone chime in on this. My potential answer to the "international experience" essay is even thinner so I'm wondering if this is a kiss of death for an application. Has anybody been accepted with pretty limited int'l experience?

I can't tell you the exact name of someone, but when I attended an info session on campus last summer, one of the admissions people specifically mentioned one person whose first trip outside their home country was when they traveled to start at LBS. I'm in a similar boat as you are in terms of international exposure being my weak link. You're at least not alone...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
BeeSkool wrote:
I'd also love to have someone chime in on this. My potential answer to the "international experience" essay is even thinner so I'm wondering if this is a kiss of death for an application. Has anybody been accepted with pretty limited int'l experience?

This was one of my worries. For what it's worth, in four years of working in the UK I spent precisely 3 weeks outside the country. My international experience essay focused on one week of international volunteer work. This is definately on the low side relative to most people, but it hopefully shows that you don't need a massive amount of overseas experience if your application is strong in other areas.

My London Business School blog

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
srjaidev,

That info was from 2008 - not sure how valid it is anymore. I think it's still true that your best chances are in R1. But then, if you need more time go for R2, but avoid R3/4.

More on LBS rounds:
http://mbajourney2010.blogspot.com/2010 ... apply.html

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), Ivey+$$$
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 15:43
This post received
KUDOS
cpandya14 wrote:
Chaps,

Anyone attending/ attended LBS info session on campus 13th Sept? If so, any news on when actually the application will go live.

I think they are testing everyone's patience this year!

Cheers

AdCom is currently testing the online application system and it should go live within a week.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 21:12
This post received
KUDOS
skahuh wrote:
American applicants: How many of you will consciously use English spelling, as opposed to American?

haha Oxford v Webster? Much to my British wife's chagrin, I will remain a Yank, no matter where I go to school
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
skahuh wrote:
How is LBS for entrepreneurship, and social entrepreneurship specifically? Does LBS want students interested in entrepreneurship or would this be frowned upon as a short-term career goal?

Thanks for any help.

Entrepreneurship as a short-term career goal is definitely not a disadvantage. In my graduating class there are 5 start-ups I know of involving 8 students. The Entrepreneurship club is one of the most active clubs on campus. There are plenty of electives as well (in addition to Entrepreneurship Summer School). Also, check the E-100 group:
http://www.london.edu/facultyandresearc ... se100.html

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 493 [1] , given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hot off the press :
"Sunil Bharti Mittal appointed to London Business School’s Governing Body"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
skahuh wrote:
tmino wrote:
Entrepreneurship as a short-term career goal is definitely not a disadvantage. In my graduating class there are 5 start-ups I know of involving 8 students. The Entrepreneurship club is one of the most active clubs on campus. There are plenty of electives as well (in addition to Entrepreneurship Summer School). Also, check the E-100 group:
http://www.london.edu/facultyandresearc ... se100.html

Thanks for the feedback. Do many students take part in the Entrepreneurship Summer School? Looks like you don't have to pass up an internship in order to take part. Or is that intensive week at the beginning of summer a deal killer for students with internships?

I can't quite remember how many participate in the end. Perhaps 30+? You have to apply (not everyone gets a spot).

Yes, you can do both, ESS and an internship, no problem. Many students do 2 internships during the summer, so ESS shouldn't be an issue.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
rid82 wrote:
I have been able to log in and to register my recommenders, it is up!

Best of luck, rid82! You're applying to all of the 3 schools I am applying in R2 :)
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2010, 05:48

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  68    Next  [ 1343 posts ]