Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [26]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: The lower the cost of distributing fliers, the more retail e [#permalink]
The argument says, " retail establishments that distribute fliers generally charge less for items listed in the fliers". Option E clearly undermines this fact by saying that the establishments will not lower prices of the listed items. Hence, I eliminated Option E because it goes against the premise.

Also, I don't understand why Option B is not the answer. The conclusion of the argument says if the govt. subsidizes, then the cost decreases. According to Option B, if the govt. does not subsidize, then the cost will not decrease. Hence, it weakens the conclusion.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
A,B,C are out
D gives out a different plan => out
E is correct even though I do not understand the idea.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE:Law (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi, in this question, does option 'E' not go against the grain of the question stem, which assumed that "retail establishments that distribute fliers generally charge less for items in the fliers...".
Thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
riskietech wrote:
The lower the cost of distributing fliers, the more retail establishments will distribute fliers, and retail establishments that distribute fliers generally charge less for items listed in the fliers than retail establishments that do not distribute fliers charge for equivalent items. Thus, if the government subsidized the distribution of fliers by retail establishments, the cost to consumers for retail items will drop.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the author’s conclusion about the cost of retail goods to consumers?

A: The government has recently offered some subsidies to retail establishments to facilitate newspaper and radio advertisements.
B: It is highly unlikely that the government would subsidize the distribution of fliers by retail establishments.
C: Retail establishments that distribute fliers usually offer goods of a quality comparable to those of retail establishments that do not distribute fliers.
D: The majority of retail establishments that distribute fliers would continue to do so even without government subsidies.
E: Most retail establishments do not lower their price for particular items when they begin to distribute fliers in which those items are listed

Why option D is not correct??
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
jackspire

D just tells us that we don't need subsidies to have our *current* situation. But the author is saying that if we had subsidies, *more* people would distribute fliers. The thinking is that this would drive down prices. We need to know whether a change (more fliers, more ads) would lead to lower prices, not whether subsidies are needed to maintain the status quo.
Send PM
Expert Reply
By the way, this is simply a rewrite of an official question. Might as well study from the real thing: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-fewer-re ... 33526.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
jayantbakshi wrote:
Hi, in this question, does option 'E' not go against the grain of the question stem, which assumed that "retail establishments that distribute fliers generally charge less for items in the fliers...".
Thanks a lot!
Option E includes modifier words like "most" and "particular", leaving the probability that some retail establishments do lower the prices for the retail goods mentioned in the fliers. The argument does not say most or some. Thus, E is not violating the premises.

Regards

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Send PM
Expert Reply
jayantbakshi SonalSinha803 The trick with E is not just that it says "most." It has to do with whether advertising really does affect prices. We know for a fact that retailers charge less for things that they put in fliers than other (non-advertising) retailers charge for those items. But do they actually REDUCE their prices, or do they perhaps put out the fliers to advertise their already-low prices? In other words, do fliers cause low prices, or do low prices cause fliers? This kind of causal reasoning is extremely common in CR, so it's important to recognize opportunities to use it!

For an extreme example, think of basketball players. Basketball players are generally taller than other athletes of similar age and skill. But it's certainly also true that playing basketball does not generally make one taller. So we can't conclude that a government plan to encourage the playing of basketball would make the population taller.

That argument may seem very silly, but structurally, it's quite similar to the original, in that the author is using a correlation (fliers, low prices) to conclude something about causation (fliers CAUSE low prices).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts