Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The lucky number trick: Remainder when divided by 9

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 3

The lucky number trick: Remainder when divided by 9 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
Everyone feels charmed about their lucky number. They take all pains to add up the digits in their date of birth and get to their licky number. A tiny mathematical trick is quite useful here. In the context of GMAT, I use it extensively to attack remainder problems when large numbers are involved. Say when I have to find out if 3 is one of the prime factors, I use this trick.

This post is deliberately being left out of the Remainders post which is more elaborate and covers more prime numbers than the explanation below entails.

Whenever I have to find the remainder divided by 9, I merely add all the digits and take the sum. I subject the sum to the same trick again and this process goes on repeatedly until I have a single digit. That single digit is the remainder when the number is divided by 9. For example, consider the following number:

The first sum would be: 7 + 2 + 3 + ... + 2 = 38
Repeating on 38, I get a 11 and repeat on 11, the final sum will be 2 which means that the number leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 9. This also means that the number is not divisible by 3 and leaves a remainder of 2.

What does this mean to GMAT math questions? If you want to quickly find out whether 3 is a prime factor, use this trick and if 3 or 6 is the lucky number, then bingo. 3 is a prime factor involved.

Deciding about 2 and 5 needs no explanations. I am not sensing that the GMAT will test you on higher primes anyway.

NB: As a further shorter cut, do not add 9 if it appears somewhere in the digits. And even drop those numbers that add up to 9. You'd not need a calculator. So in the above number, the result is easy to see even as you glance at the number.

This also has a mathematical proof. So feel safe and exploit the trick

Regards
Rahul

Regards
Rahul

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 930 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The lucky number trick: Remainder when divided by 9 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 07:22
if the sum is 38..that itself means it is not divisible by 3...as per the rule the sum of digits should be divisible by 3 then only the number is divisible by 3.

properties-of-divisible-numbers-79896.html

m I missing something?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 3

Re: The lucky number trick: Remainder when divided by 9 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 10:57
I am saying decompose further as long as you would not have a single digit sum. 38 goes further down as 11 and that boils down to 2 which is not divisible by 9. Hence 38 is not divisible by 9. for simple 2 digit numbers, this trick is a good-for-nothing. The approach is specifically useful with very large numbers.

If however the final single digit sum is 3 or 6 (of course or 9 too), then we could say that 3 is a definite factor to that number.

[The mathematical theorem underlying the trick is related to congruences and may be a little too irrelevant here. Basically it says that if a number n leaves a remainder r when divided by a dividend d, then for any power of n the remainder will be the same as what you would have when r^n is divided by d].

When 10 is divided by 9, it leaves a remainder 1. When 9 divides 10^n, it would leave a remainder 1^n which is 1. So if a multi-digit number were to be written as x0 + x1*10^1 + x2*10^2 +.. + xi*10^i +.. then when divided by 9, the remainder is x1 + x2 + x3...+xi+.... Repeatedly applying this on the sum, one would arrive at the single digit which would be called the lucky number.

Regards
Rahul

Regards
Rahul

Re: The lucky number trick: Remainder when divided by 9   [#permalink] 08 May 2011, 10:57