Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 18:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
18. The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the experimental methods used by investigators in the field.
(A) The majority of the talk was
(B) The greater part of the talk was
(C) The bulk of the talk has been
(D) A large amount of the talk has been
(E) A predominance of the talk was


19. Because there is no formal agreement does not necessarily mean that scheduled air service between the two countries would cease.
(A) Because there is no
(B) Insofar as there is no
(C) There being no
(D) Lacking any
(E) The lack of


25. It seems probable that the group of chemical com- pounds known as the biogenic amines may play an important role in causing mental depression.
(A) may play
(B) play
(C) plays
(D) might play
(E) has been playing

Kindly help solving these and with explanations
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 19:55
I agree with previous posts on 18 and 19.

On 25 I am not sure

This is the desire argument (SC guide) which is supposed to use base without the "to"

probably that group ... play

Since its supposed to be base i dont think we can use "plays"....

Not sure...
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 658
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 20:03
Tough one ... I'll be happy if I can get even 2 right... here's my answers:

A
D (E would have been correct if had any in there i.e. the lack of any .... Just "the lack of" sort of changes the meaning)
C --> I feel very confident with this... the "Probably" and "may" are redundant + the subject is singular.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 00:18
spriya wrote:
18. The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the experimental methods used by investigators in the field.
(A) The majority of the talk was
(B) The greater part of the talk was
(C) The bulk of the talk has been
(D) A large amount of the talk has been
(E) A predominance of the talk was


19. Because there is no formal agreement does not necessarily mean that scheduled air service between the two countries would cease.
(A) Because there is no
(B) Insofar as there is no
(C) There being no
(D) Lacking any
(E) The lack of


25. It seems probable that the group of chemical com- pounds known as the biogenic amines may play an important role in causing mental depression.
(A) may play
(B) play
(C) plays
(D) might play
(E) has been playing

Kindly help solving these and with explanations


OA s :
B
E
C



Kindly let me know the following :
Q18)Im not finding OA convincing enough.I think greater part of the talk is awkward.
OR is it MAJORITY is used with countable objects !!!! :shock: can anyone clarify ?????? :?:

Q19)Im not finding OA convincing !!
lacking any is better than lack of !!!!
when we say lacking any formal agreement represents extreme condition but lack of does not .lack of is specific case .Actually can anyone explain this in detail.!!!!


Q25)probably and may are redundant but im actually concerned anbout the usage of plays Vs play ,When we use THAT we always we use subjunctive mood hence whatever may be the tense we treat the subject as plural.
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 207
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 01:27
For the first one you are right majority is used for countable words only

The majority of cases--------correct
The majority of water---------incorrect
The majority of talk----------incorrect

For the second one

think of locating a subject in the sentence

the lack of agreement becomes the subject of the sentence
Lacking any.........I don t see any subject in this contruction

For the third one verb "seem" is not in the list of verbs which require a subjunctive. Although it is usually followed by a that. So lets restrict the use of subjunctive when we see a verb which indicates hopes, proposals and desires rather than use it everytime we see a that

HTH
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1579
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 01:47
spriya wrote:
Q25)probably and may are redundant but im actually concerned anbout the usage of plays Vs play ,When we use THAT we always we use subjunctive mood hence whatever may be the tense we treat the subject as plural.


I have the same understanding on 25 and chose "play" as the correct answer.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1550
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 04:11
hibloom wrote:
For the first one you are right majority is used for countable words only

The majority of cases--------correct
The majority of water---------incorrect
The majority of talk----------incorrect

For the second one

think of locating a subject in the sentence

the lack of agreement becomes the subject of the sentence
Lacking any.........I don t see any subject in this contruction

For the third one verb "seem" is not in the list of verbs which require a subjunctive. Although it is usually followed by a that. So lets restrict the use of subjunctive when we see a verb which indicates hopes, proposals and desires rather than use it everytime we see a that

HTH



I disagree with what you said about "lacking" because it is a gerund, so it can be used as a subject. For example:

Running is healthy.

So if you believe "lacking" is bad because we don't have a subject, then think again because it is a gerund, which makes it perfectly fine to be the subject. There must be another reason why "lacking" is not the correct usage here. hmmm....
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 08:14
tarek99 wrote:
hibloom wrote:
For the first one you are right majority is used for countable words only

The majority of cases--------correct
The majority of water---------incorrect
The majority of talk----------incorrect

For the second one

think of locating a subject in the sentence

the lack of agreement becomes the subject of the sentence
Lacking any.........I don t see any subject in this contruction

For the third one verb "seem" is not in the list of verbs which require a subjunctive. Although it is usually followed by a that. So lets restrict the use of subjunctive when we see a verb which indicates hopes, proposals and desires rather than use it everytime we see a that

HTH



I disagree with what you said about "lacking" because it is a gerund, so it can be used as a subject. For example:

Running is healthy.

So if you believe "lacking" is bad because we don't have a subject, then think again because it is a gerund, which makes it perfectly fine to be the subject. There must be another reason why "lacking" is not the correct usage here. hmmm....


Hey hibloom good explanation!!!
but yah i do agree with tarek on this ,
lacking any agreement is a subject !!

practicing day and night does not help u to crack gmat but time management does help.

is this statement fine !!!!
any suggestions !!

Again i agree on majority -> thanks for clarifying.
and
seems probable -> im again not getting,lets take few examples !
i hope the design works
I wish this happens
It seems probable that the design works !!!
he desires that his demands be fulfilled!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1550
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 08:34
spriya wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
hibloom wrote:
For the first one you are right majority is used for countable words only

The majority of cases--------correct
The majority of water---------incorrect
The majority of talk----------incorrect

For the second one

think of locating a subject in the sentence

the lack of agreement becomes the subject of the sentence
Lacking any.........I don t see any subject in this contruction

For the third one verb "seem" is not in the list of verbs which require a subjunctive. Although it is usually followed by a that. So lets restrict the use of subjunctive when we see a verb which indicates hopes, proposals and desires rather than use it everytime we see a that

HTH



I disagree with what you said about "lacking" because it is a gerund, so it can be used as a subject. For example:

Running is healthy.

So if you believe "lacking" is bad because we don't have a subject, then think again because it is a gerund, which makes it perfectly fine to be the subject. There must be another reason why "lacking" is not the correct usage here. hmmm....


Hey hibloom good explanation!!!
but yah i do agree with tarek on this ,
lacking any agreement is a subject !!

practicing day and night does not help u to crack gmat but time management does help.

is this statement fine !!!!
any suggestions !!

Again i agree on majority -> thanks for clarifying.
and
seems probable -> im again not getting,lets take few examples !
i hope the design works
I wish this happens
It seems probable that the design works !!!
he desires that his demands be fulfilled!!



i guess the reason why "lacking any" is wrong is the the word "any" is useless in this sentence. Using "any" doesn't add any extra meaning to the sentence beyond what option E says, which is more concise. It's more concise to just say "the lack of" because you're talking about ALL formal agreement anyways.

It's like saying "it doesn't make any sense." This is wrong because it's no different from saying "it doesn't make sense." know what i mean?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 08:48
tarek99 wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
hibloom wrote:
For the first one you are right majority is used for countable words only

The majority of cases--------correct
The majority of water---------incorrect
The majority of talk----------incorrect

For the second one

think of locating a subject in the sentence

the lack of agreement becomes the subject of the sentence
Lacking any.........I don t see any subject in this contruction

For the third one verb "seem" is not in the list of verbs which require a subjunctive. Although it is usually followed by a that. So lets restrict the use of subjunctive when we see a verb which indicates hopes, proposals and desires rather than use it everytime we see a that

HTH



I disagree with what you said about "lacking" because it is a gerund, so it can be used as a subject. For example:

Running is healthy.

So if you believe "lacking" is bad because we don't have a subject, then think again because it is a gerund, which makes it perfectly fine to be the subject. There must be another reason why "lacking" is not the correct usage here. hmmm....


Hey hibloom good explanation!!!
but yah i do agree with tarek on this ,
lacking any agreement is a subject !!

practicing day and night does not help u to crack gmat but time management does help.

is this statement fine !!!!
any suggestions !!

Again i agree on majority -> thanks for clarifying.
and
seems probable -> im again not getting,lets take few examples !
i hope the design works
I wish this happens
It seems probable that the design works !!!
he desires that his demands be fulfilled!!


i guess the reason why "lacking any" is wrong is the the word "any" is useless in this sentence. Using "any" doesn't add any extra meaning to the sentence beyond what option E says, which is more concise. It's more concise to just say "the lack of" because you're talking about ALL formal agreement anyways.

It's like saying "it doesn't make any sense." This is wrong because it's no different from saying "it doesn't make sense." know what i mean?


Very good example !!This clears.
it does make sense

What about ...it seems probable that??
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1550
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 10:12
thanks! well, both "seems" and "probable" are redundant. Both express uncertainty anyways.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 143
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 00:47
spriya wrote:
18. The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the experimental methods used by investigators in the field.
(A) The majority of the talk was
(B) The greater part of the talk was
(C) The bulk of the talk has been
(D) A large amount of the talk has been
(E) A predominance of the talk was


19. Because there is no formal agreement does not necessarily mean that scheduled air service between the two countries would cease.
(A) Because there is no
(B) Insofar as there is no
(C) There being no
(D) Lacking any
(E) The lack of


25. It seems probable that the group of chemical com- pounds known as the biogenic amines may play an important role in causing mental depression.
(A) may play
(B) play
(C) plays
(D) might play
(E) has been playing

Kindly help solving these and with explanations



My answers are:

A
E
C


Thanks for making me realise the usage of "MAJORITY". It's indeed used with countable nouns.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 207
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 01:18
tarek99 wrote:
hibloom wrote:
For the first one you are right majority is used for countable words only

The majority of cases--------correct
The majority of water---------incorrect
The majority of talk----------incorrect

For the second one

think of locating a subject in the sentence

the lack of agreement becomes the subject of the sentence
Lacking any.........I don t see any subject in this contruction

For the third one verb "seem" is not in the list of verbs which require a subjunctive. Although it is usually followed by a that. So lets restrict the use of subjunctive when we see a verb which indicates hopes, proposals and desires rather than use it everytime we see a that

HTH



I disagree with what you said about "lacking" because it is a gerund, so it can be used as a subject. For example:

Running is healthy.

So if you believe "lacking" is bad because we don't have a subject, then think again because it is a gerund, which makes it perfectly fine to be the subject. There must be another reason why "lacking" is not the correct usage here. hmmm....

Thanks for pointing out. i agree with the point about gerunds. But i still doubt whether lacking is used as a correct subject in this particular construction. The kind of examples
such as
Skiing can be dangerous
Raising a family is a serious task.
are straight forward examples of gerunds(verbals working as noun). Whether nouns work as subject of a sentence is a different matter altogether.
I guess you are right its probably the use of any which is creating the problem. I would imagine such a construction in a modifier construction
Lacking any substantial agenda, the senator decided to make an early exit from the debate.

I hope this sentence makes sense.
With the use of any it seems the sentence is pointing to some other subject. I don't know but if the sentence at hand was

Lacking a formal agreement does not necessarily mean that scheduled air service between the two countries would cease.

It would have been a good answer choice and then I agree the gerund phrase Lacking a formal agreement would have been the subject of the sentence

Comments welcome
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1550
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 04:07
hibloom wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
hibloom wrote:
For the first one you are right majority is used for countable words only

The majority of cases--------correct
The majority of water---------incorrect
The majority of talk----------incorrect

For the second one

think of locating a subject in the sentence

the lack of agreement becomes the subject of the sentence
Lacking any.........I don t see any subject in this contruction

For the third one verb "seem" is not in the list of verbs which require a subjunctive. Although it is usually followed by a that. So lets restrict the use of subjunctive when we see a verb which indicates hopes, proposals and desires rather than use it everytime we see a that

HTH



I disagree with what you said about "lacking" because it is a gerund, so it can be used as a subject. For example:

Running is healthy.

So if you believe "lacking" is bad because we don't have a subject, then think again because it is a gerund, which makes it perfectly fine to be the subject. There must be another reason why "lacking" is not the correct usage here. hmmm....

Thanks for pointing out. i agree with the point about gerunds. But i still doubt whether lacking is used as a correct subject in this particular construction. The kind of examples
such as
Skiing can be dangerous
Raising a family is a serious task.
are straight forward examples of gerunds(verbals working as noun). Whether nouns work as subject of a sentence is a different matter altogether.
I guess you are right its probably the use of any which is creating the problem. I would imagine such a construction in a modifier construction
Lacking any substantial agenda, the senator decided to make an early exit from the debate.

I hope this sentence makes sense.
With the use of any it seems the sentence is pointing to some other subject. I don't know but if the sentence at hand was

Lacking a formal agreement does not necessarily mean that scheduled air service between the two countries would cease.

It would have been a good answer choice and then I agree the gerund phrase Lacking a formal agreement would have been the subject of the sentence

Comments welcome


would you or anyone know the proper use of the word "any"? or "any" should only be used in only the following :

anyone
anybody
anytime
anything
etc??

are these the only situations in which the use of "any" is allowed? comments will be welcomed.

As for me, if i try to investigate and strict meaning of "any", it basically means that one of the many. for example:

anyone who steals will be will be thrown in jail.

according to this sentence, the sentence says that even if one person out of the many steals, then he or she will be thrown in prison.

so according to the sentence in the answer choice: "lacking any formal agreement", implies that there are many formal agreements??? that should strike you as something is definitely wrong with this sentence.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1579
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 04:43
This is what I got from my source.

adj:
One, some, every, or all without specification: Take any book you want. Are there any messages for me? Any child would love that. Give me any food you don't want.
Exceeding normal limits, as in size or duration: The patient cannot endure chemotherapy for any length of time.

pron:
(used with a sing. or pl. verb)
Any one or more persons, things, or quantities.

adv.
To any degree or extent; at all: didn't feel any better
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 207
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc-no time#7 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 07:27
going through the commentary on this page i feel any should be used as an adverb but is doing the work of an adjective in the sentence at hand
http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/010.html
Re: sc-no time#7   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2008, 07:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Best schools for ms in accounting for non accounting major newyork1992 0 21 Jul 2013, 10:02
The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the noboru 3 28 Aug 2010, 08:24
Non-Accounting Major.. NEED HELP!!! Strangelove 1 20 Dec 2009, 20:43
MACc programs for a non-accounting major sns1011 14 19 May 2009, 15:16
The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the Beyond700 5 05 Dec 2007, 20:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The majority of the talk was devoted to an account of the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.