Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2006, 18:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

52% (01:55) correct 48% (01:49) wrong based on 12 sessions
777. The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.
(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him a
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2006, 21:21
IMO, usage of "him" is wrong here. It should be "he..."

So we are left with C & E. I'm going with "E".

Nandan,
"...a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished ..."
This red part coming later is causing uneasiness to me :?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2006, 21:25
you're right vivek

I figured that anomaly in C when I marked it but somehow failed to see that E looked much better when it came to the placing of "people" in the sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2006, 00:42
E is the correct choice to me as well. Sounds stuffy, well so is GMAT english. :wink:

- Vipin
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2006, 04:11
vivek123 wrote:

Nandan,
"...a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished ..."

If usage of him is incorrect then E is the best option.
But Vivek, could ypu please explain why the usage of him is wrong?
Kindly give me few examples.

Thanks,
Brajesh
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2006, 05:34
b14kumar wrote:
vivek123 wrote:

Nandan,

Thanks,
Brajesh

Hey Brajesh,

Here is an example,

"I am taller than him" -----> Incorrect
"I am taller than he is" -----> Correct

This rule is slightly difficult for non native English speakers (like us) to digest ;)
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2006, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
At this point it would be a good idea to discuss the usage of 'than' when making a comparison.

'than' when used to compare two subjects requires a subjective form (he, she, you, they).

e.g. I am taller than she. [she is]

but not always. When comparing objects e.g.

I like him better than she/her.

To use the 'she' form would mean that 'I like him better than she likes him' while 'her' form would mean that 'I like him more than I like her'.

- Vipin
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2006, 11:29
I have seen this question somewhere before ..

I am picking ^ E ^
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Midwesterner [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2006, 11:56
I'll also go for E.
I think we will use "he" here because, we are comparing people with the man. For Man, which is the subject, "he" is the correct pronoun not "him".

hellom3p wrote:
777. The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.
(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him a
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2006, 10:40
A or E?

Go for E.
1. We can omit was thrust.
2. At th end should be he, not him.

What is OA? pls.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2006, 21:31
- the sequence should be 'wealtheir, better-educated and more polished'
We can discard C as it is not parallel.
We can also discard B and D becuase it results in the redundant use of 'more' when a simple wealthier would have done the job

- 'he' is the correct pronoun to use.
We can discard A.

E is the best choice. To read more about whether to use the subject or object pronoun after 'than', read this link: http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/pronoun.asp
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 11:26
OA is E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 07:59
vivek123 wrote:
b14kumar wrote:
vivek123 wrote:

Nandan,

Thanks,
Brajesh

Hey Brajesh,

Here is an example,

This rule is slightly difficult for non native English speakers (like us) to digest ;)

I know this is an old thread but I could not stand a side and not trying to explain this:

the subject in the second clause of the question is "he" so when you compare the subject to someone else it has to be to "he" ex. "he was a small-town ........ dominated by x , y , and more polished than he"
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 16:50
This post received
KUDOS
galafgon wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
b14kumar wrote:
Hey Brajesh,Here is an example,

I know this is an old thread but I could not stand a side and not trying to explain this:

the subject in the second clause of the question is "he" so when you compare the subject to someone else it has to be to "he" ex. "he was a small-town ........ dominated by x , y , and more polished than he"
@galafgon,vivek123
If I get rid of extra elements, the sentence to get base sentence
S1:"he was a small-town ........ dominated by x , y , and more polished than he"
S2:"he was a small-town ........ dominated by x , y , andmore polished than he"
S3:"he was more polished than he"
I am really not liking this sentence. It is hard for me to digest that the last "he" in E.

I understand that "I am taller than he" is acceptable owing to ellipsis but as per my perception we are not comparing subjects here.
The comparison is between objects of this sentence(Sub+Verb+obj).
In a parallel eg.: I love chocolates more than candies. Since, here the comparison is happening within objects than subjects.
When I say objects, I mean comparison between more polished people and object version of he(i.e. him).

I would have accepted "he" in sentence: He was better than he [is].
But accepting "he" in sentence is bothersome to me: Small Town Midwestener is was thrust in a world dominated by smarter people than him

Please let me know if I am missing anything here and how to accept this subject version of he than object version of he(him).

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 18:47
joshnsit wrote:
galafgon wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Hey Brajesh,Here is an example,

@galafgon,vivek123
If I get rid of extra elements, the sentence to get base sentence
S1:"he was a small-town ........ dominated by x , y , and more polished than he"
S2:"he was a small-town ........ dominated by x , y , andmore polished than he"
S3:"he was more polished than he"
I am really not liking this sentence. It is hard for me to digest that the last "he" in E.

I understand that "I am taller than he" is acceptable owing to ellipsis but as per my perception we are not comparing subjects here.
The comparison is between objects of this sentence(Sub+Verb+obj).
In a parallel eg.: I love chocolates more than candies. Since, here the comparison is happening within objects than subjects.
When I say objects, I mean comparison between more polished people and object version of he(i.e. him).

I would have accepted "he" in sentence: He was better than he [is].
But accepting "he" in sentence is bothersome to me: Small Town Midwestener is was thrust in a world dominated by smarter people than him

Please let me know if I am missing anything here and how to accept this subject version of he than object version of he(him).

I was almost convinced by you. But the confusion here is, what is the subject and what is the object? Since we are still comparing people in the world with the subject, we should be using "he"

the man was always aware, <blah, blah>, that he was thrust into a world dominated by people who are more privileged than he (was)

If we use "him"
the man was always aware, <blah, blah>, that he was thrust into a world dominated by people who are more privileged than people dominating him

This sentence wrongly compares the world he is thrust into with "the man". It means there are two worlds- the man and the world. This is obviously wrong!

I hope that clarifies!
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [3] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 21:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Joshnit

vis-a vis your request

In essence both usages are correct technically; It all depends upon whether you use than as a conjunction or preposition. If you are using ‘than’ as a subordinate conjunction, joining a main clause and a sub clause, then ‘than he (than he + the elliptical verb) is acceptable.
On the contrary, if you are using ‘than’ as a preposition, then what follows cannot be a clause but simply a noun or pronoun or noun phrase. Now let’s see the topic in question.
The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.

(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
Here in my opinion, you are comparing wealthier, better and more polished people with some other human being. Now the crux is that wealthier, better educated and more polished people are objects of the preposition ‘by’. So you have to compare wealthier, better educated and more polished with another object namely ‘him’.

Here is yet another way to ascertain this; the reversal test. Let us now interchange both the words and see whether we can get the meaning rightly.

1. dominated by him than by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people
2. dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he( was)
3. dominated by he ( was ) than by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people
4. dominated by him than by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people

You see choices No 1 and 4 retain the meaning, while 2 and 3 do not

There is yet another view that in sentences, where the verb is originated from the base verb ‘be” such as to be, is, was ,are, were, , will be and the like, and also in the case of verbs such as seem, appear, look, then you use ‘than’ only as a preposition and not as a conjunction

Ex; I am taller than him
I look/ appear/ seem to be taller than him

Hence, by all counts, I would prefer -than him- over other choices.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 05:02
Expert's post
There are three choices A, B and D. A can be dropped because the past tense 'was' is not as appropriate as 'had been' to describe something that happened deep in the past.
But D is still better because, it is concise.

By the way, technically I do not see much difference between wealthier or more wealthy except that more wealthy is less common.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 10:03
Hi,
is "is" assumed here? for "he is"
Re: The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2014, 10:03