Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The mayor boasts that the average ambulance turnaround time,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The mayor boasts that the average ambulance turnaround time, [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 09:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The mayor boasts that the average ambulance turnaround time, the time from summons to delivery of the patient, has been reduced this year for top-priority emergencies. This is a serious misrepresentation. This reduction was produced simply by redefining 'top priority.' Such emergencies used to include gunshot wounds and electrocutions, the most time-consuming cases. Now they are limited strictly to heart attacks and strokes.

Which one of the following would strengthen the author's conclusion that it was the redefinition of 'top priority' that produced the reduction in turnaround time?

(A) The number of heart attacks and strokes declined this year.

(B) The mayor redefined the city's financial priorities this year.

(C) Experts disagree with the mayor's definition of 'top-priority' emergency.

(D) Other cities include gunshot wound cases in their category of top-priority emergencies.

(E) One half of all of last year's top-priority emergencies were gunshot wounds and electrocution cases.

A 750 aspirant.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 10:23
A looks good to me.

Since heart attacks and strokes reduced this year, there was less pressure on the ambulance system. SO it is possible that it might be able to handle that load.
I hope I am right.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 11:46
E is talking about the numbers in last year. We need to know what progress has been made this year by knowing how many injuries were there. The argument is talking about reduction in the current year.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 12:53
monarc and anandnk,

'A' looked good to me too. But the official answer is E.

A 750 aspirant.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 12:56
aspire, give us more time to do your problems! I was in the middle of picking E! Let me try to prove.

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 13:06
I believe if E is right then folowing explanation suits.

Basically the author is saying that the mayor changed the definition to Priority to include cases that can be handled easily. If one can prove that the cases which are complex constitute major portion of all the cases then in a way author's argument is strengthened. This forms the assumption of the authors argument.
Probably the measure should be measured for a long time to see the effectiveness and the long time could mean that 1 year sufficient. In that case taking prev year's figures into account would be OK.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2004, 13:09
So it's between A and E.
E) Let G=gunshot E=electrocution H=heart attack S=stroke
If (G+E) represent 1% of TPEs then the exclusion of G+E has no bearing on the redefinition of the term 'top priority' and (E) would therefore strenghten the author's conclusion
A) The number of heart attacks declined this year but it still doesn't give their proportion vis-a-vis (G+E). No matter how much 'H' increased or declined by, we have to know that ratio in order to know its impact on total 'top priority' and be able to determine whether it strengthens or weakens the argument.

Furthermore, we should only be concerned with the figures last year because it is last year that the figures were misrepresented. A can thus further be weakened by adding this year's figure which has no bearing on how last's year figures could be misrepresented

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 30 Mar 2004, 13:09