Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The mayor plans to deactivate the city's fire alarm boxes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

The mayor plans to deactivate the city's fire alarm boxes [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 11:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (02:20) correct 23% (01:19) wrong based on 185 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 26
Page: 125
Difficulty:

Editorial: The mayor plans to deactivate the city’s fire alarm boxes, because most calls received from them are false alarms. The mayor claims that the alarm boxes are no longer necessary, since most people now have access to either public or private telephone. But the city’s commercial district, where there is the greatest risk of fire, has few residents and few public telephones, so some alarm boxes are still necessary.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the editorial’s argument?

(A) Maintaining the fire alarm boxes costs the city more than five million dollars annually.
(B) Commercial buildings have automatic fire alarm systems that are linked directly to the fire department.
(C) The fire department gets less information from an alarm box than it does from a telephone call.
(D) The city’s fire department is located much closer to the residential areas than to the commercial district.
(E) On average, almost 25 percent of the public telephones in the city are out of order.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Narenn on 16 Oct 2013, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Necessary Corrections for Official Guide Verbal Review 2nd Edition Project
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Fire alarm boxes [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 11:45
Will go with B
If there are auto fire alarms then there is no need for manual fire alram boxes used to call the fire dept. Hence even though there are no pub phones in comm district, the comm district is still safe without the manual fire alarm boxes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 11:59
B.

But, I was getting confused between B & E.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 12:03
crackgmat3 wrote:
B.

But, I was getting confused between B & E.

I think E is incomplete
The arg says "since most people now have access to either public or private telephone" whereas E talks about only public telephones
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 13:50
Can somebody tell me what is the conclusion which we are trying to weaken?
S
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 16:44
saurya_s wrote:
Can somebody tell me what is the conclusion which we are trying to weaken?
S

so some alarm boxes are still necessary - is the conclusion.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2004, 16:49
B for sure ! We want to find something that weakens this particular stance "City commercial buildings need alarm boxes because they have no phopnes"

(B) does just that. If the building all have automatic fire alarm systems that are linked directly (note the key words here) to the fire department, then fire boxes are completely redundant because no one is going it, ever.

In (E), tellign us 25% of the public telephones in the city are out of order does not dispute the argument that alarm boxes are not required.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

Reviews Badge
Re: The mayor plans to deactivate the city's fire alarm boxes [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 01:42
I have been fallen into trap answer B.

I chose B because B support the fact that why alarm box is not required. By now I have realized that argument is about why alarm box is required in commercial building.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 31

Re: The mayor plans to deactivate the city's fire alarm boxes [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2014, 21:45
Wilfred,

What has to be weakened here? Mayor plans to deactivate the city’s fire alarm boxes or the commercial or necessity of alarm boxes in city’s commercial district? I am confused. Opted answer E assuming that since public telephones are not necessary, alarm boxes should be present.
Re: The mayor plans to deactivate the city's fire alarm boxes   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2014, 21:45