Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The mayor s five-year growth plan for Greenville is not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 465

Kudos [?]: 1837 [2] , given: 29

The mayor s five-year growth plan for Greenville is not [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (02:02) correct 34% (00:55) wrong based on 91 sessions
The mayor’s five-year growth plan for Greenville is not consistent with Assemblyman Johnson’s ominous prediction that there will be less jobs in the county next year, instead the governor announcing the large amount of new federally funded job opportunities throughout the region.
(A) not consistent with Assemblyman Johnson’s ominous prediction that there will be less jobs in the county next year, instead the governor announcing the large amount
(B) consistent not with Assemblyman Johnson’s ominous prediction of fewer jobs in the county next year, but with the governor’s announcement of the large number
(C) consistent with not Assemblyman Johnson’s ominous prediction that there will be fewer jobs in the county next year, but with the governor’s announcement of the large amount
(D) consistent not with Assemblyman Johnson’s ominous prediction that there will be less jobs in the county next year, but the governor announced the large number
(E) not consistent with Assemblyman Johnson’s ominous prediction that there will be less jobs in the county next year, instead of the governor’s announcement of the large number

For a detailed discussion of parallelism, and typical parallelism mistake on the GMAT SC, see this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/parallelis ... orrection/
That blog also contains a full explanation of this particular question.

Let me know if there are any parallelism questions.

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The mayor’s five-year growth plan for Greenville is [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 11:14
I saw only "fewer jobs" AND "large number" in answer choice B :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 294

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The mayor’s five-year growth plan for Greenville is [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 22:25
The only parallel structure and correct modifier is found in Option B, hence the answer

fewer jobs and large number is the only correct option
Also consistent not with ... but with makes the idiom usage correct.

Just move your mouse to the left side pane and click on the kudos button if i helped you in any way :)
ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Re: The mayor’s five-year growth plan for Greenville is   [#permalink] 20 May 2013, 22:25