Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The MBA Fit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The MBA Fit [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 22:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
HI All,

Am Goutam, almost 12 years work experience of which I have spent the last 5+ years in technology management roles at two of the leading institutions in the world, Yahoo! Inc. and the hedge fund D. E. Shaw & Co.

Am currently looking to pursue an MBA to enhance my leadership skills and learn what it takes to lead in the face of current economic changes that every organization faces today. I am willing to do a one year program in a school which provides a global exposure to rich cultural and functional diversities, and will allow me to learn what is takes to lead organizations through the economic crisis, foster a culture of innovation and value based approach to designing and building the next generation of consumer products.

I have spent most of my career in a technology path but over the last 5 years I have been increasingly taking on more leadership roles and helping build winning teams who are agile and nimble to deliver against a constantly changing business landscape.

I am seeking some advice from people who are either on the same boat or have been through and can share their wisdom and experience to help me make the best decision for my career for the next decade.

cheers!
Goutam
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: The MBA Fit [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 00:45
Expert's post
gkbiswas wrote:
HI All,

Am Goutam, almost 12 years work experience of which I have spent the last 5+ years in technology management roles at two of the leading institutions in the world, Yahoo! Inc. and the hedge fund D. E. Shaw & Co.

Am currently looking to pursue an MBA to enhance my leadership skills and learn what it takes to lead in the face of current economic changes that every organization faces today. I am willing to do a one year program in a school which provides a global exposure to rich cultural and functional diversities, and will allow me to learn what is takes to lead organizations through the economic crisis, foster a culture of innovation and value based approach to designing and building the next generation of consumer products.

I have spent most of my career in a technology path but over the last 5 years I have been increasingly taking on more leadership roles and helping build winning teams who are agile and nimble to deliver against a constantly changing business landscape.

I am seeking some advice from people who are either on the same boat or have been through and can share their wisdom and experience to help me make the best decision for my career for the next decade.

cheers!
Goutam

Hey Goutam,
Welcome!!! Glad to help you out, and discuss with you. We've seen loads and loads of candidates go through the same thing you are going through right now, so feel free to ask any questions or make any comments here about your application - be it schools, your own profile, etc. etc.

Take care, dude

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: The MBA Fit [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 18:44
I would grateful if you could please evaluate my profile and please suggest me whether the schools i have mentioned are at

par and what could be other schools where i could apply. my profile is as follows

GMAT 700(Q49,V35)
GPA 79% Computer Science Engineering
WE 4.5 years in IT(TCS) with diverse experience given below
worked in research and development team , technologies such as RFID and presently working in Insurance domain.

in research and development had the experience of working in some innovative projects such as TV Audience

Measurement in real time and Context Aware Recommender System ,both these projects started of as mere ideas

(trying to capitalise on stuff which had not been explored as of yet ) and became full projects which were

presented in front of client , the Trp project was presented infront of ACNeilson(a big advertisment company)

which helped my company win a big bid with the company and they also agreed to colaborate with us on future R&D

endevours .Also from each of these 2 projects i have under my name 2 publications in well known international

conferences and 2 patents filed, we have our papers published on IEEEExplore and a mere search is enough to find

us there.
I was also a part of not only the development and testing of these projects but also mots of the customer

interaction as well , i was assigned form my project with the added role of presenting /demonstrating in front,

getting their feedback etc of the client due to my good communication skills .We also one the best team award for

the Trp project and got certificates for the same.

After that i have been working as a performance test engineer in Insurance domain and have been looking at the

performance aspect of our solution for not only my project but also the various projects using the same product ,

i have also worked on development, customization and also functional testing to some extent .
I have also been an active member of some clubs which affiliate in communication,debate etc and have a few

certificates .
I have been working with some important people in my organization and as i move ahead to oversee a lot more

project i am sure that an mba degree will certainly help to not only hone my skills in areas such as

leadership,consulting etc but also increase the knowledge required to take on bigger roles in organizations.

I am applying in R1 this year and want to know my chances in the following schools

1 ISB
2 NUS
3 Dardon
4 Johnson
5 Tepper
6 Ross
7 Hass
8 NTU

please advise whether these schools are ok to apply to considering my profile my chances ,and what could be good

schools to apply to other than these , also any suggestions on how to improve my profile , also please suggest

whether i need to join some NGO for applying to US schools and how important can certifications be .

Thanks for the help in advance
Awaiting replies eagerly

Thanks and regards ,
Sidd
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The MBA Fit [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 05:41
Hi Sidd,

You have a decent profile and a good corporate exposure. As per your profile and area of interest I would suggest you to target Duke, SMU Cox, UNC Kenan Flagler, Emory and Rotman B-School where all you can apply along with the the list of b-school you have mentioned below.

The Business Schools you have chosen are excellent but I will suggest you to apply few more which I have suggested above as they have good acceptance rate and employment record. Also get in touch with the alumnus of B-School which you are targeting to know more about the B-School admission procedure.

You would need to cleverly prepare yourself for questions like the reasons you want to switch from IT to management, your rationale behind applying for a specific B school, so on and so forth.

The next step for you is to focus more on your GMAT and application essays, recommendations for these Business Schools.

Please visit http://tinyurl.com/cnpsl4a to see more about online Essay Evaluation and Interview Preparation.

If you happen to be based in Mumbai, you can attend a MBA workshop by the alumnus of ISB along with alumnus of various top global B-Schools during the dates mentioned in this links http://tinyurl.com/cjy62uh

Feel free to post any other query or concern that you might have.

Cheers!!
Shweta Vijlani
Re: The MBA Fit   [#permalink] 11 May 2013, 05:41