Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Tiwale Founder Ellen Chilemba Discusses Launching Her Social Enterpris [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Tiwale Founder Ellen Chilemba Discusses Launching Her Social Enterprise Company at the Age of 18
Today, many aspiring MBAs and MBA graduates want to join start-ups or launch such companies themselves. Is entrepreneurship as exciting as it seems? Is it really for you? mbaMission Founder Jeremy Shinewald has teamed up with Venture for America and CBS Interactive to launch Smart People Should Build Things: The Venture for America Podcast. Each week, Shinewald interviews another entrepreneur so you can hear the gritty stories of their ups and downs on the road to success.

Ellen Chilemba, Founder and Director of Tiwale

Ellen Chilemba may be among the youngest guests in the history of our podcast series, but her accomplishments are far from few. For example, she was invited to the Global Changemakers Global Youth Summit when she was just 18 years old, and she was chosen as one of Forbes’s “30 Under 30” last year. Of course, Chilemba’s proudest accomplishment to date is undoubtedly Tiwale, a social enterprise created to help the women of Malawi, Chilemba’s home country, start their own businesses. Chilemba is in her senior year of studies at Mount Holyoke College, and she took time out of her busy schedule to share her story with podcast listeners, including these details:

• How, at the age of 19, she met a young woman her age who was already married with three children—and why this encounter spurred Chilemba into action
  • What managing a company is like when you are still finishing your undergraduate studies
  • Why, after Chilemba had presented U2 front man Bono with a humanitarian award at a recent gala, he turned around and handed the trophy back to her
Subscribe to the podcast series to hear more inspirational stories from entrepreneurs!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Do You Write with Connectivity? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Do You Write with Connectivity?
If you were to read a skilled professional writer’s work, you would find articles that are characterized by “connectivity.” Simply put, an adept writer ensures that each sentence is part of a chain—each sentence depends on the previous one and necessitates the next. With this linkage in place, the central idea is constantly moving forward, giving the story a natural flow and making it easy to follow. Although you do not need to write at the same level as a professional journalist, you should still embrace this concept, because it is central to excellent essay writing. With a “connected” MBA application essay, you will grab and hold your reader’s attention.

You can test your essay’s connectivity by removing a sentence from one of your paragraphs. If the central idea in the paragraph still makes complete sense after this removal, odds are you have superfluous language, are not advancing the story effectively, and should revise your draft.

Try this exercise with a random selection from the New York Times:

“For many grocery shoppers, the feeling is familiar: that slight swell of virtue that comes from dropping a seemingly healthful product into a shopping cart. But at one New England grocery chain, choosing some of those products may induce guilt instead. The chain, Hannaford Brothers, developed a system called Guiding Stars that rated the nutritional value of nearly all the food and drinks at its stores from zero to three stars. Of the 27,000 products that were plugged into Hannaford’s formula, 77 percent received no stars, including many, if not most, of the processed foods that advertise themselves as good for you. These included V8 vegetable juice (too much sodium), Campbell’s Healthy Request Tomato soup (ditto), most Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice frozen dinners (ditto) and nearly all yogurt with fruit (too much sugar).”

If you were to delete any of these sentences, you would create confusion for the reader, proving that each sentence is connected and vital.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Mission Admission: How to Address a Layoff [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: How to Address a Layoff

Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

Many business school applicants worry about the impact having been laid off might have on their candidacy. Do the admissions committees view a layoff as a sign of failure?

One thing to remember is that many MBA candidates share this worry—thousands of them worldwide, in fact. For the admissions committees to dismiss all such applicants outright would simply not be practical. Moreover, the admissions committees know that the global financial crisis and subsequent recession are at the root of the problem, not necessarily the individual candidate’s performance. Indeed, layoffs and firings are not the same thing, so admissions committees will examine your application with that in mind, seeking your broader story.

If you find yourself in this situation, what is important is that you show that you have made good use of your time since the layoff by studying, volunteering, seeking work, enhancing your skills, etc. Each candidate will react differently, of course, but you need to have a story to tell of how you made the most of a difficult situation.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Luigi Zingales, the University of Chicago Booth Sc [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Luigi Zingales, the University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Luigi Zingales from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.

Luigi Zingales is known on the Chicago Booth campus for his charm, sense of humor, and humility, but students with whom mbaMission spoke also call him an innovator, citing as evidence his perspective on the discount rates used to evaluate the future cash flows of new and risky ventures (i.e., his ability to mathematically explain why some firms deserve a 30%–50% discount rate). Zingales’s novel approach to solving the mortgage crisis has been profiled in The Economist, and Bruce Bartlett of the National Review Online called his book Saving Capitalism from the Capitalists: Unleashing the Power of Financial Markets to Create Wealth and Spread Opportunity (coauthored with Raghuram G. Rajan; Crown Business, 2003) “one of the most powerful defenses of the free market ever written.”

Zingales is currently the Robert C. McCormack Distinguished Service Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance at Chicago Booth, as well as a Charles M. Harper Faculty Fellow. In addition, he became director of the school’s Stigler Center for the Study of the Economy and the State in 2015. His students call him an “emerging finance superstar”—significant praise, considering the company he keeps at Chicago Booth.

For more information about Chicago Booth and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA Career News: Strategically Answering Behavioral Interview Question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career News: Strategically Answering Behavioral Interview Questions

In this new blog series, our mbaMission Career Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches,click here.

Behavioral questions and prompts (e.g., “Tell me about a time when you…”) can help the hiring manager understand your ability to do the job, as your answers are a good predictor of your future success. Expect behavioral questions to focus on the competencies required for success in your target role.

Below are our top five tips for successfully addressing behavioral questions:

• Brainstorm your six to eight biggest accomplishments. Make note of which competencies (e.g., leadership, teamwork, analytics, persuasion) each story addresses or can be tweaked to address.
  • Start your story with a headline (i.e., a road map) that shows you are directly answering the question. And consider concluding your story by describing what you learned from the experience and/or how the experience makes you more interested in/qualified for your target role.
  • Use a structured framework to answer the question in a concise manner (i.e., 90 to 120 seconds). Consider using the Situation-Actions-Result framework:

Situation: Give enough information so the hiring manager has sufficient context to understand your actions. (This part should account for about 10–15% of your answer time.)

Actions: Describe the actions you took. Make sure your actions illustrate the attribute you are demonstrating. Speak in terms of “I” versus “we.” (This part should account for about 70% of your answer time.)

Result: What happened? Quantify your impact. What did you accomplish? How did your actions benefit the group, department, company, or client? (This part should account for about 10–15% of your answer time.)
  • [b]Prepare for follow-up questions/prompts such as these:[/b]

-What happened after that?

-What did you say?

-How did you feel about that?

-Why did you decide to do that?

-What was your thought process?

-Tell me more about your interaction with X.

-How did you achieve X?
  • Practice, practice, and practice (out loud)! Think about the content as well as the delivery (word choice, confidence, nonverbal cues, etc.).

Use these sample behavior questions/prompts to help you get started:

• Tell me about a time when you had to adjust to changes that were beyond your control. How did you handle that situation?
  • Tell me about a time when you had to work on a team with someone with whom you did not get along. What happened?
  • Tell me about a team project that you had to lead.
  • Tell me about a time when you successfully resolved a conflict.
  • Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed to do so.
  • Tell me about a time when you had to “sell” an idea to co-workers or management.
  • Tell me about a time when you had to analyze information and make a recommendation.
  • Tell me about a situation in which you had to solve a difficult problem.
  • Tell me about a time when you devised an innovative solution to a problem.
  • Tell me about a time when you failed.
Have you been admitted to business school? If so, do you want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via a free 30-minute consultation!
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Significant Others at Chicago Booth [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Significant Others at Chicago Booth
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment, but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Booth Partners is an official school club that is designed to provide a social network for the partners of Chicago Booth students. During the school’s admit weekend, sessions are run by current partners to inform admitted Chicago Booth students and their significant others about life at the school, showing, said a partner with whom we spoke, “that the partner is recognized as an important part of the decision-making process.” She added, “Upon acceptance to Booth, not only does the student receive a letter, the partner does as well!”

Partners—with or without children—who move with their students to Chicago Booth can take advantage of what the group has to offer by paying a reasonable membership fee. Membership benefits include invitations to partner events, such as end-of-quarter or holiday parties, and inclusion in sub-groups, such as the Explore Chicago subcommittee, the Book and Movie subcommittee, the Wine and Dine subcommittee, and the Community Service subcommittee. The Booth Partners Web site provides information on moving to Chicago, with links to descriptions of area neighborhoods and apartment buildings as well as specific resources for international students and their significant others. In addition, the club has created a guidebook to life in Chicago that includes additional housing information as well as grocery shopping tips and other pointers.

Within the Booth Partners club is Parents of Little Ones (POLO), a resource targeting students/partners with children. Said the partner with whom we spoke, “There are lots of resources available to make everyone that is special to a Booth student feel welcomed and cared for! As a Chicago Booth Partner, I have found the Booth Partners club to be an excellent organization in which to meet new people and participate in fun, interesting activities.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at Chicago Booth and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Luxury Brand Management at the GCU British Scho [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Luxury Brand Management at the GCU British School of Fashion
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

In the fall of 2013, Scotland’s Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU)—known as a leader in fashion education since the 19th century—inaugurated a new fashion business school in London and soon after opened a satellite campus in New York City. Rather than focusing on the design aspect of fashion, however, the GCU British School of Fashion instead aims to offer a specialized business education with applications to the fashion industry, as the school’s director, Christopher Moore, explained in a FashionUnited article at the time the new campuses were being revealed: “The remit of the School is clear: we are about the business of fashion. While there are other great international design schools, we are quite different. Our aim is to be a leading School for the business of fashion.”

The British School of Fashion’s MBA in Luxury Brand Management program aims to impart industry tools and skills related to such topics as consumer behavior, globalization, and strategic management. The school also professes a commitment to social responsibility, sustainability, and fair trade as part of its core values. The MBA curriculum consists of eight core modules. With support from a number of British fashion brands, which in the past have included Marks & Spencer, House of Fraser, AllSaints, and the Arcadia Group, the school’s faculty also features a team of honorary professors and fashion industry leaders. Moore told the BBC, “Over the past decade, there has been a significant professionalization of the fashion sector, and there is now a need for high-quality fashion business graduates.”
Send PM
Applications Are Done—Your MBA Job Hunt Starts Now (Really!) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Applications Are Done—Your MBA Job Hunt Starts Now (Really!)
Have you been admitted to business school? If so, congratulations! You are about to embark on an exciting and rewarding journey—one that will eventually help prepare you for the job of your dreams!

Many MBA admits make the critical mistake of waiting until they arrive on campus to start their job hunt. During this pivotal moment in your life—before your MBA program begins—you must have a clear plan to get your dream job. Have you carefully considered your career goals? Do you know what it takes—and do you have the network—to get that job? Have you considered pursuing pre-MBA internships to facilitate a career transition?

We have created a one-of-a-kind online presentation to help answer all of your questions on how to prepare for—and eventually land—your ideal full-time post-MBA position!

Join mbaMission’s founder and president, Jeremy Shinewald, on December 20 at 9:00 p.m. Eastern for an eye-opening online event and ensuing Q&A! Enroll for free today.

Are you an MBA admit, current student, or alum? Do you want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via a free 30-minute consultation!
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Chicago Booth for Marketing? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Chicago Booth for Marketing?
You may be surprised to learn that Chicago Booth is making inroads into an area that its crosstown rival (Northwestern Kellogg) is known to dominate: marketing. Through the James M. Kilts Center for Marketing—named for the Chicago Booth alumnus who was formerly CEO of Gillette and Nabisco (and is now a partner at Centerview Partners)—Chicago Booth offers students roughly ten marketing electives. In particular, the school is growing its experiential opportunities in the marketing field, with students taking part in marketing management labs (semester-long consulting projects) at such companies as Abbott Laboratories, Bank of America, and Honeywell International. Further, professors in the department saw opportunities for increased practical involvement and created “hybrid” classes in “Marketing Research” and “New Product Development” that involve a lecture component but also allow students to work on shorter-term consulting projects.

Students can also sign up to be paired with an alumni marketing mentor or apply for Marketing Fellowships, which provide scholarship funds and a two-year mentoring relationship. Although Kellogg’s reputation for excellence in marketing is firmly intact, we have to assume that the folks in Evanston are occasionally glancing over their shoulder to see whether Chicago Booth is continuing to gain ground.

For a thorough exploration of what Chicago Booth and other top business schools have to offer, please check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA News: London Business School Reclaims the Top Spot in Bloomberg Bu [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: London Business School Reclaims the Top Spot in Bloomberg Businessweek’s International MBA Ranking

Bloomberg Businessweek released its 2016 ranking of international MBA programs recently, with a new school at the top of the list. The Ivey Business School at the University of Western Ontario, which was ranked the best international program in 2014 and 2015, dropped to the tenth spot this year—making way for London Business School to take over first place, which it last held in 2012. INSEAD, last year’s number-three program, was ranked second this year, while Saïd Business School at the University of Oxford rose three spots to claim third place.

Melbourne Business School was one of the year’s most notable shifters. The school entered the top ten at ninth place after ranking 23rd in 2015. The rest of the top schools were otherwise largely similar to last year’s. Such renowned institutions as IE Business School, IMD, Cambridge Judge Business School, IESE Business School, and SDA Bocconi School of Management moved slightly in their respective rankings, but all remained within the top ten for at least the second year in a row.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Have No Real Options! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Have No Real Options!
In the late 2000s, Harvard Business School (HBS) made a change to its application essay questions that surprised many. Its previously mandatory “long- and short-term goals” essay prompt changed its focus more broadly to “career vision” and became one of four topic choices from which applicants could select two. Immediately, MBA candidates tried to read between the lines and decipher HBS’s hidden agenda behind the change. As a result, many perplexed applicants called us, asking, “Every other school asks about goals, so HBS must want to know about them, too. I need to answer the essay question option about career vision, right?”

This question, in turn, compelled us to ask rhetorically: Why would HBS make a question an option if the admissions committee expected you to answer it? If it did, why would the school not simply designate the question as mandatory, as it had been previously? We believe that in this case, HBS made the question an option because the admissions committee did not feel that applicants must have a definite career vision to be admitted. Essentially, HBS was saying, “If you have a well-defined career vision that would help us better understand who you are as a candidate, tell us about it. If not, we would love to hear something else that is interesting about you.” Note that HBS no longer poses this particular essay question, but we offer it here as a way of illustrating how candidates can sometimes overthink or misinterpret the “optional” elements of a school’s application.

Essay options are just that: options. None of HBS’s essay choices—or those of any other MBA program—are necessarily “right” or “wrong.” The admissions committees are not trying to trick you, nor does a secret answer exist that will guarantee your acceptance. The programs offer multiple essay question options because they know that each applicant is different, and they want to provide an opportunity for each candidate to tell his/her unique story. So, as you approach your essays, focus on what you want to say—not what you think the admissions committee wants to hear.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: Stop Taking So Many CATs! (Part 3) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: Stop Taking So Many CATs! (Part 3)
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

What are the Dos and Don’ts to get the most out of your CATs? If you have not yet read the earlier installments of this series here and here, go take a look!

DON’T take a practice CAT within five days of the real test

Would you run a practice marathon a few days before a real marathon? Of course not! You risk tiring yourself out or (mentally) injuring yourself (by reducing your confidence) just before the real test.

If your score is not where you want it to be, postpone the test; you are not going to change it substantially by taking a practice CAT at the last minute (or doing anything else).

DON’T go months without taking a CAT

When someone does this, the impetus is usually anxiety. You feel nervous that you will not get the results that you want, so you avoid getting any results at all. Alternatively, maybe you plan to study everything and then when you take the test, you are confident that you will get the score you want… but practicing without any CAT data is going to cause you to build bad habits (such as spending too much time on a question) and fail to build good ones (such as learning how and when to cut yourself off and guess).

If your last CAT was so long ago that you are no longer sure what your strengths and weaknesses are under testing conditions, it is time to take another CAT.

Takeaways

In short, do take a CAT pretty early on in your study process. Then analyze the results and use that analysis to inform your study plan. When you have addressed a substantial proportion of the major issues identified via that analysis, take another CAT. Most of the time, you should be able to find at least two to three weeks’ worth of issues to address after every CAT.

Once you have your score where you want it to be, start your final review. During this phase (which typically lasts a couple of weeks), plan to take one CAT two weeks before and another CAT one week before your real test date. Read this article, The Last 14 Days: Building Your Game Plan,” to learn what to do with this data.

Good luck and happy studying!
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Convey a Confident Tone [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Convey a Confident Tone
In your MBA application essays, you must ensure that the tone you use allows the admissions committee to readily recognize your certainty and self-confidence. Being clear and direct about who you are and how you envision your future is vital. Consider the following example statements:

Weak: “I now have adequate work experience and hope to pursue an MBA.”

Strong: “Through my work experience, I have gained both breadth and depth, providing me with a solid, practical foundation for pursuing my MBA.”

——

Weak: “I now want to pursue an MBA.”

Strong: “I am certain that now is the ideal time for me to pursue my MBA.”

——

Weak: “I have good quantitative skills and will succeed academically.”

Strong: “I have already mastered the quantitative skills necessary to thrive in my MBA studies.”

——

Weak: “With my MBA, I hope to establish myself as a leader.”

Strong: “I am certain that with my MBA, I will propel myself to the next levels of leadership.”

The key in all these examples is the use of language that clearly projects self-confidence; instead of “hope,” use “will”; rather than saying you have “good” skills, show “mastery.” Although you should avoid sounding arrogant, by being assertive and direct, you will inspire confidence in your reader and ensure that you make a positive impression.
Send PM
Mission Admission: Choosing a Safety School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: Choosing a Safety School
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

For many candidates, Round 3 is a time to sit back, relax, and wait for the MBA admissions committees to make their decisions. However, for others, the third round is a time to be conservative and apply to a “safety school.” But what constitutes a safety school?

Although determining exactly what a safety school is can be difficult (given that many variables are involved, and the definition can shift depending on the candidate in question), a good place to start is with scores. If a candidate’s GMAT score and GPA are significantly higher than the target school’s averages, for example, then the school is—at first glance, at least—a “safe” choice. So, for example, if you have a 750 GMAT and a 3.8 GPA and you are applying to a school with a GMAT score middle 80% range of 620–730 and an average GPA of 3.4 for the most recent entering class, you are off to a promising start.

Next, you might consider your work experience relative to the target program. For example, many Goldman Sachs investment banking “alums” apply and are admitted to the so-called M7 schools (Stanford GSB, Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Chicago Booth, Columbia, and MIT Sloan). If you happen to be such a candidate, choosing a school outside this tier could certainly make you more competitive.

Finally, you might consider the program’s general selectivity. If you consider yourself a competitive candidate at a program that accepts approximately 18% of its applicants, applying to one with an acceptance rate closer to 30% may be a safe option. Before you start applying to any safety schools, however, ask yourself this relatively simple question: “Would I actually go if I got in?” Spending time applying to an MBA program that you would not be willing to actually attend is pointless. If you choose to apply to such a school (as some do) anyway, you will—rather ironically—find yourself with no “safety” net at all.

To explore potential safety schools typically ranked outside the top 15, check out our Diamonds in the Rough blog series.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Irv Grousbeck, Stanford Graduate School of Busines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Irv Grousbeck, Stanford Graduate School of Business

Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Irv Grousbeck from the Stanford Graduate School of Business.

One of the founders and former directors of the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies at the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB), Irv Grousbeck first began teaching at the business school in 1985 after co-founding Continental Cablevision (now Media One) in 1964 and teaching at Harvard Business School (1981–1985), where he helped found the entrepreneurial management department. He is currently the principal owner, a managing partner, and an executive committee member of the Boston Celtics, a National Basketball Association team. According to a recent Stanford GSB alumnus with whom mbaMission spoke, students find Grousbeck’s “Managing Growing Enterprises” class so useful because in it, they must assume the role of CEO of the companies they discuss, and Grousbeck then forces them to deal with particular managerial challenges, strongly emphasizing execution. Another popular class, “Conversations in Management,” features role-play with characters ranging from mid-level executives to external respondents.

For more information about the Stanford GSB and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA Career News: Answering the Dreaded “Failure” Question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career News: Answering the Dreaded “Failure” Question

In this new blog series, our mbaMission Career Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches,click here.

Interviewing is usually a stressful experience. However, the best thing you can do to quell your anxieties is to carefully prepare and be ready to answer any question with confidence and authenticity.

The following prompt is one that tends to concern applicants: “Tell me about a time you failed.” So, what is our recommended approach to crafting your response?

• Take some time to examine the experiences you might deem failures or setbacks. Think about what your specific struggle was, how you strategized to overcome it, what actions you took, and what you found challenging about the experience.
  • Choose an example that does not highlight a failure that would cast doubt on your skill set for your target role, your work ethic, or your ability to work well with others. In addition, consider sharing an example that did not happen very recently.
  • Be direct and concise when explaining your failure. Do not assign blame to others.
  • The most important part is to focus on what you learned—how you grew and changed as a result of the failure. Highlight the positive steps you have taken to ensure a similar failure does not happen again. Also, provide a more recent example of when you used the lessons learned and avoided failure.
Here are a few sample failures to consider (Note: These are very simplistic examples; yours should be much more specific and detailed.):

• Failure: My client presentation went badly.

What I learned: Always prepare in advance and practice out loud.
  • Failure: I finished my Excel model too late.

What I learned: Get manager input at each stage, not just at the end.
  • Failure: My boss didn’t buy into my idea.

What I learned: Use more data-based research to persuade her next time.
Much of this advice can also be applied to the “Tell me about a weakness” prompt. In both cases, use your response to show your prospective employer that you are self-aware, reflective, and humble, as well as someone who strives to improve and takes proactive steps to do so.

Have you been admitted to business school? If so, do you want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via afree 30-minute consultation!
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Columbia Business School’s Pre-MBA World Tou [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Columbia Business School’s Pre-MBA World Tour
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment, but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Although Columbia Business School (CBS) does not offer any official pre-term trips for incoming students, the student body does organize something called the Pre-MBA World Tour. Trips run in parallel from May to August. Students can join any part of any of the trips, for any period of time that is convenient for them. The trips are completely the responsibility of students, though CBS encourages and supports the initiative. Past destinations have included Peru, Oman, South Africa, Israel, Hong Kong, Thailand, Costa Rica, Cuba, Turkey, France, Budapest, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, and Japan.

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at CBS and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
   1  ...  82   83   84   85   86  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts