Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The mean value of 5 numbers is 0. Are there more positive

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2003
Posts: 590
Location: On Vacation at My Crawford, Texas Ranch
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

The mean value of 5 numbers is 0. Are there more positive [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 08:38
The mean value of 5 numbers is 0. Are there more positive than negative values in this group of numbers?


1) The mean of positive numbers in the group is 12

2) The mean of negative numbers in the group is -6
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 795
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 08:52
C

A) Insuff. It can be (-12, -12, 0 , 12, 12) or (-4, -6, -14, 1,23) ...
B) Insuff. Similar to above...

If there are equal positive and negative values, |mean| of each would be same. From A and B, it can be inferred it is not the case.
if |mean of positive| > |mean of negative|
The |value per positive| is more. Which means fewer positive numbers than negative.
So from Above, the answer to the question is 'No'.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1735
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Above Average Averages Question [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 09:17
C should be the answer. but can we make a question like this one?

from the question stem and information provided, there are more negative numbers. how do we make a question subject to the information provided above?

suppose if negative numbers = 3, positive numbers = 2
suppose if negative numbers = 4, positive numbers = 1

in both of the conditions, we cannot have a mean 0. :roll:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 795
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Above Average Averages Question [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 09:25
HIMALAYA wrote:
suppose if negative numbers = 3, positive numbers = 2
suppose if negative numbers = 4, positive numbers = 1

in both of the conditions, we cannot have a mean 0. :roll:


1. (-6,-7,-8,10,11) -> mean is 0
2. (-6,-7,-8,-10,31) -> mean is 0
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1735
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Above Average Averages Question [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 09:40
gsr wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
suppose if negative numbers = 3, positive numbers = 2
suppose if negative numbers = 4, positive numbers = 1
in both of the conditions, we cannot have a mean 0. :roll:

1. (-6,-7,-8,10,11) -> mean is 0
2. (-6,-7,-8,-10,31) -> mean is 0


that is not the solution. donot forget the constraints given in statement i and ii.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 795
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 10:13
I am sorry. Didn't read your post fully!

If the constraint also said "all numbers in the sequence are integers", then what you say is true (N=4,P=1 or N=3,P=2) and maybe, we can say question/answer is impossible, forget A or B or....

Any one possibility is enough. Like this one -> (-6, -6, 0, 0, 12)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1735
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 10:33
gsr wrote:
I am sorry. Didn't read your post fully!

If the constraint also said "all numbers in the sequence are integers", then what you say is true (N=4,P=1 or N=3,P=2) and maybe, we can say question/answer is impossible, forget A or B or....

Any one possibility is enough. Like this one -> (-6, -6, 0, 0, 12)


no, its not possible and your example is flawed because 0 is not positive and the mean of 0, 0 and 12 is also not 12..

still do not forget the constraints gievn in statements 1 and 2.
Quote:
The mean value of 5 numbers is 0. Are there more positive than negative values in this group of numbers?

1) The mean of positive numbers in the group is 12
2) The mean of negative numbers in the group is -6
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2003
Posts: 590
Location: On Vacation at My Crawford, Texas Ranch
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 12:29
OA is C good work fellow geeks 8-)
  [#permalink] 16 Oct 2005, 12:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If the average (arithmetic mean0 of 5 different numbers is TheBigCheese 3 05 Jul 2008, 10:08
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic If the average (arithmetic mean) of 5 positive temperatures SimaQ 7 04 Jun 2006, 02:44
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is the average (arithmetic mean) of 5 different positive bewakoof 19 01 Apr 2006, 15:48
The average (arithmetic mean) of the 5 positive integers k, vivek123 3 04 Mar 2006, 11:34
If the average (arithmetic mean) of 5 positive temperatures AMBA 6 14 Oct 2005, 11:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The mean value of 5 numbers is 0. Are there more positive

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.