Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The median annual household income in a certain community of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The median annual household income in a certain community of [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2008, 20:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:48) correct 40% (01:04) wrong based on 163 sessions
The median annual household income in a certain community of 21 households is $50,000. If the mean income of a household increases by 10% per year over the next 2 years, what will the median income in the community be in 2 years?

(A) $50,000
(B) $60,000
(C) $60,500
(D) $65,000
(E) Cannot be determined
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Aug 2012, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Median [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2008, 20:44
alimad wrote:
The median annual household income in a certain community of 21 households is $50,000. If the mean income of a household increases by 10 % / year over the next 2 years, what will be the median income in the community be in 2 years?

cannot be determined.

Please respond with your answers. thanks

I think E, I find no connection btw the increase and the median!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Median [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 10:45
sondenso wrote:
alimad wrote:
The median annual household income in a certain community of 21 households is $50,000. If the mean income of a household increases by 10 % / year over the next 2 years, what will be the median income in the community be in 2 years?

cannot be determined.

Please respond with your answers. thanks

I think E, I find no connection btw the increase and the median!

I agree on E.

The median could change depending on which incomes grow and by how much.

For example,

all incomes could grow by 10% each, meaning the median would also grow by 10%.

Or

the lowest income could grow by a huge number, moving it into the top half of incomes, which would completely change the median.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: Median [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 22:19
Should be e)

Mean increasing by certain % doesnt mean that median should increase by same %.

Median will only increase by same % if all data point move ahead by same % but increase of mean does not guarantee that all data points are moving by same % as well.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Median [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 07:08
nmohindru wrote:
Should be e)

Median will only increase by same % if all data point move ahead by same % but increase of mean does not guarantee that all data points are moving by same % as well.

Hi,

I am a bit confused now,

I thought this was the rule..
" If we increase or decrease each term in a set by the same percent:
Mean will increase or decrease by the same percent.
SD will increase or decrease by the same percent.

so by that if mean increase by 10%, shouldn't all data points move by 10%..?

By the way, above rule was also Highlighted in one of the post by Bunuel Here
ps-questions-about-standard-deviation-85897.html

am I missing a point here? can someone please explain the concept here?

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3494

Kudos [?]: 26255 [1] , given: 2708

Re: Median [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nikhil007 wrote:
nmohindru wrote:
The median annual household income in a certain community of 21 households is $50,000. If the mean income of a household increases by 10% per year over the next 2 years, what will the median income in the community be in 2 years?

(A) $50,000
(B) $60,000
(C) $60,500
(D) $65,000
(E) Cannot be determined

Should be e)

Hi,

I am a bit confused now,

I thought this was the rule..
" If we increase or decrease each term in a set by the same percent:
Mean will increase or decrease by the same percent.
SD will increase or decrease by the same percent.

so by that if mean increase by 10%, shouldn't all data points move by 10%..?

By the way, above rule was also Highlighted in one of the post by Bunuel Here
ps-questions-about-standard-deviation-85897.html

am I missing a point here? can someone please explain the concept here?

Reverse of this property is not true: if the mean increases by a certain percent it doesn't necessarily mean that each term increases by the same percent.

Consider the following set: {1, 2, 3} --> mean=median=2 and sum=6. Now, if we increase the mean by 100%, we increase the sum by 100%, so it'll become 12. But new set can be {0, 0, 12}: the third element increased and the first two elements decreased or {2, 2, 8}: the first and the third elements increased and the second remained the same...

You can apply the same logic to the question at hand.

Answer: E.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Median [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 23:34
Bunuel wrote:

Reverse of this property is not true: if the mean increases by a certain percent it doesn't necessarily mean that each term increases by the same percent.

Consider the following set: {1, 2, 3} --> mean=median=2 and sum=6. Now, if we increase the mean by 100%, we increase the sum by 100%, so it'll become 12. But new set can be {0, 0, 12}: the third element increased and the first two elements decreased or {2, 2, 8}: the first and the third elements increased and the second remained the same...

You can apply the same logic to the question at hand.

Answer: E.

Wow thats an usefull insight..Kudos..!!

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The median annual household income in a certain community of [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 21:48
Answer is E, because there are different numbers in the set and we are not sure which side of the numbers in the set will be increased so the mean is increase by 10%. It could be the case that small number of higher end incomes increased a little or many low end incomes increased - it cannot be identified.

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: The median annual household income in a certain community of [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 17:55
+1 E

For example, if the highest value increase enough to increase in 10% the mean, the median will be the same.
Other scenario is that every value increases in 10%, including the median.
We cannot determine the new median.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The median annual household income in a certain community of [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 12:34
But here the It is clearly mentioned that it is the mean income of a household..So here the mean refers to the average rise in income of the household members and not the mean of the incomes of the cimmunity..I think it is a typo error or I am missing something here...
Correct me if I am wrong

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 193

Re: The median annual household income in a certain community of [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 12:47
JusTLucK04 wrote:
But here the It is clearly mentioned that it is the mean income of a household..So here the mean refers to the average rise in income of the household members and not the mean of the incomes of the cimmunity..I think it is a typo error or I am missing something here...
Correct me if I am wrong

We can not determine the median income from provided data.

As we do not know that distribution of income is uniform we can not conclude that median = mean

from provided data we got that 11th household is earning $50,000
Let mean = x increase by 10% for next 2 years... we do not whether every house hold income has increased or few has increased or for few remain constant or reduced.. its easy to get 10% rise in mean by just increasing income for few households ..thus we can not construct data set and we can not get median.

Answer is E.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The median annual household income in a certain community of [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 12:57
PiyushK wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong

We can not determine the median income from provided data.

As we do not know that distribution of income is uniform we can not conclude that median = mean

from provided data we got that 11th household is earning $50,000
Let mean = x increase by 10% for next 2 years... we do not whether every house hold income has increased or few has increased or for few remain constant or reduced.. its easy to get 10% rise in mean by just increasing income for few households ..thus we can not construct data set and we can not get median.

Answer is E.

Bahh..My bad..I read it extremely wrongly. :toilet ...I was referring to the income rise from household members.. :yikes Don't know where did that come from..Guess I did :sleep better

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Re: The median annual household income in a certain community of   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2014, 12:57