Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 07:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they experienced waiting in line would be the same to the children waiting in line as it would to the men.


(A) the children waiting in line as it would to the men
(B) the children waiting in line just as it would to them
(C) the children waiting in line in just as to them
(D) the children waiting in line in as it would to themselves
(E) the children waiting in line like it would to the men.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 240
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 09:04
D looks good - but this question is all convoluted.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - as/like [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 10:17
GMATT73 wrote:
The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they experienced waiting in line would be the same to the children waiting in line as it would to the men.


(A) the children waiting in line as it would to the men
(B) the children waiting in line just as it would to them
(C) the children waiting in line in just as to them
(D) the children waiting in line in as it would to themselves
(E) the children waiting in line like it would to the men.


E: Wrong because like should introduce only phrases. Here it introduces a clause.

C: Wrong because the preposition "in" muddles the meaning of the sentence.

D: Verbose version of A.

A: Wrong because "the men" isnt explicit. It could refer to "any men" not the men who refused to acknowledge.....

My AC is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2004
Posts: 274
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 11:02
B for me.

The following adverbs often go with same: exactly, just, [not] quite, almost, more or less, much, nearly, practically, roughly:

Example => Money didn’t change them: they’re exactly the same as before.

As would be correct over Like as it is not a direct comparison.
D is wrong in the use of "themselves".
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 15:30
A)...i think in A) it is clear that "the men" refers to "the men". it is explicit. in B) "them" can refer to "the children" as well.
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 217
Location: Boston
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 16:31
Since it is men who are acknowledging them should be refering to men. I think answer is B

OA please!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 19:17
OA is A.

Spot the Concept being tested:
Comparison between the frustration the men experienced and the frustration the children experienced

Rule and Fix:
Items that are compared to one another must be balanced and must be of the same or similar items (structurally and logically parallel).

POE:
C lacks the it used to imply frustration.

Chunk and Compare:
B, C, and D all introduce pronouns place of the men. The pronoun them could refer to men or children and is therefore ambiguous.

Reread your choice:
Choose A
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 854
Location: Hyderabad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - as/like [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 23:32
gmataquaguy wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they experienced waiting in line would be the same to the children waiting in line as it would to the men.


(A) the children waiting in line as it would to the men
(B) the children waiting in line just as it would to them
(C) the children waiting in line in just as to them
(D) the children waiting in line in as it would to themselves
(E) the children waiting in line like it would to the men.


E: Wrong because like should introduce only phrases. Here it introduces a clause.

C: Wrong because the preposition "in" muddles the meaning of the sentence.

D: Verbose version of A.

A: Wrong because "the men" isnt explicit. It could refer to "any men" not the men who refused to acknowledge.....

My AC is B.


the men => the group of men already identified in the first part of the sentence. right?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 13:59
GMATT73 wrote:
OA is A.

Spot the Concept being tested:
Comparison between the frustration the men experienced and the frustration the children experienced

Rule and Fix:
Items that are compared to one another must be balanced and must be of the same or similar items (structurally and logically parallel).

POE:
C lacks the it used to imply frustration.

Chunk and Compare:
B, C, and D all introduce pronouns place of the men. The pronoun them could refer to men or children and is therefore ambiguous.

Reread your choice:
Choose A


How could them refer to "children" in this context? Let's say we replace the pronoun with "children" the underlined portion would read as:

the children waiting in line as it would to the children

and the entire sentence would read as

The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they [implicit --> the men] experienced waiting in line would be the same to the children waiting in line just as it would to children.

This sentence would imply that we are comparing the "level of frustration" of children with the "level of frustration" of children? It would be silly to compare something to itself, No?

The OA seems dubious to me. GMATT73 what is the source of this question? Also as a suggestion: Would you please underline the original question in all your posts going forward.

General question to others: Did you feel the same way about the OE? Or am i missing something here?

regards,
gmataquaguy
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - as/like [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 14:29
GMATT73 wrote:
The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they experienced waiting in line would be the same to the children waiting in line as it would to the men.

(A) the children waiting in line as it would to the men
(E) the children waiting in line like it would to the men.

I was in between A and E because B, C and D have either them or themselves, both are wrong because both have no clear referant. the only confusion was whether "the frustration" is noun or action. Ok after re-reading it (the frustration they experienced) is action.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 05:30
gmataquaguy wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
OA is A.

Spot the Concept being tested:
Comparison between the frustration the men experienced and the frustration the children experienced

Rule and Fix:
Items that are compared to one another must be balanced and must be of the same or similar items (structurally and logically parallel).

POE:
C lacks the it used to imply frustration.

Chunk and Compare:
B, C, and D all introduce pronouns place of the men. The pronoun them could refer to men or children and is therefore ambiguous.

Reread your choice:
Choose A


How could them refer to "children" in this context? Let's say we replace the pronoun with "children" the underlined portion would read as:

the children waiting in line as it would to the children

and the entire sentence would read as

The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they [implicit --> the men] experienced waiting in line would be the same to the children waiting in line just as it would to children.

This sentence would imply that we are comparing the "level of frustration" of children with the "level of frustration" of children? It would be silly to compare something to itself, No?

The OA seems dubious to me. GMATT73 what is the source of this question? Also as a suggestion: Would you please underline the original question in all your posts going forward.

General question to others: Did you feel the same way about the OE? Or am i missing something here?

regards,
gmataquaguy


Could any of the SC experts throw their 2 cents in please after reading my post.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 17:55
Bumping this thread up. Could someone see my post and please comment.

regards,
gmataquaguy
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 20:25
Yes from the meaning we all know that "them" refer to the men. However grammatically "them" has ambigous reference. This is why it is wrong to use it.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2005, 04:11
HongHu wrote:
However grammatically "them" has ambigous reference.


Could you please elaborate on what you mean. If the pronoun "them" cannot refer to children what else could/would it refer to? I'm not sure i understand what you mean by them has ambiguous reference.

regards,
gmataquaguy
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2004
Posts: 128
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 01:08
GMATT73 wrote:
Chunk and Compare:
B, C, and D all introduce pronouns place of the men. The pronoun them could refer to men or children and is therefore ambiguous.


in D, "themselves" refer correctly to "the men" at the begining of the sentence. The reason D is wrong is that "line in" is verbose.
_________________

Regards,
Wunderbar03

  [#permalink] 10 May 2005, 01:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 frustrated rome5814 1 22 Apr 2013, 13:21
Recommendation Refusal vixer 1 22 Nov 2010, 14:25
While acknowledging that there are greater employment riteshbindal 10 24 Sep 2009, 22:10
Frustrated! $uckafr33 1 25 Sep 2006, 05:41
I have trouble figuring out the part of when 2 men refuse to FN 9 18 Oct 2005, 07:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The men refused to acknowledge that the frustration they

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.