Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 18:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

38% (01:22) correct 63% (00:19) wrong based on 22 sessions
The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates of most other fishes.

(A) with the rates of most other fishes
(B) to most other fishes’ rate
(C) to that of rates for most other fishes
(D) to most other fishes
(E) with most other fishes
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Last edited by PiyushK on 21 Jul 2014, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 18:17
compared to vs compared with

compared to for stressing similarities

compared with for examining similarities and differences

compared to is correct choice here.

C is long and awkward. D compares rate to fishes.

B remains and is my answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 18:55
spriya wrote:
The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates of most other fishes.

(A) with the rates of most other fishes
(B) to most other fishes’ rate
(C) to that of rates for most other fishes
(D) to most other fishes
(E) with most other fishes

compared to - For similarities
compared with - For differences

Here you are comparing the metabolic rate of sharks and other fishes (similarity- metabolic rate) and hence "compared to".
A and E are out.
C- "to that of rates for most other fishes"- Wordy and clumsy construction.
D- Comparing the metabolic rate with the fishes which is not correct.

Hence B. Good question. What is OA?

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 121 [1] , given: 0

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 19:01
This post received
KUDOS
Yes rightly said !!
Compared to -> used for similarities ,
eg : he is compared to bryan adams
compared with -> dissimilarities
eq:solution A has low concentration of acid compared with solution B

I think A goes the best here.But my doubt is rate compared with rates
please shed some light on rate compared with rates

OA is A

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 19:33
Wait a sec. How come the OA is A, if we are comparing similarities? Isn't compared to the right thing?

Originals are compared with copies/fakes

My reading is rate is compared to your reading rate.

IMO, comparing singular rate to plural rates does not matter. One to many comparison is ok.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 21:08
Did some research on the "compare to" and "compare with" and found that:

"To identify either the similarities or the differences between two things, use "compare to." To identify both the similarities and the differences, use "compare with." In comparing with something, one finds or discusses both things that are alike and things that are different."

In our case, the metabolic rate is the heart of argument. The metabolic rates can be both similar and different between sharks and other fishes. According to the definition it fits.

Here are few more examples:

1) (Compared to, Compared with) running, walking is good for people who have knee problems.
answer: Compared to

2) Andy compared his math teacher (with, to) his English teacher and pointed out what they had in common and what they did not.
answer: wilth

3) When Geri compares her old boyfriend (to. with) her new boyfriend, she points out all the ways in which they are alike.
answer: to

4) In order to decide which city to tour, we had to (compare them with, compare them to) each other.
answer: compare with

Source: http://homepage.smc.edu/quizzes/cheney_ ... mpare.html

Here is a link for some of the commonly confused words (ver basic though)....
http://homepage.smc.edu/reading_lab/wor ... nfused.htm

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 21:51
I will go with A. the sentence is comparing the differences in metabolic rate here. Hence, "compare with" is correct. Additionally, A also maintains parallelism ("rate of shark.....rates of most other fishes."
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 09:32
I think rather than banging my head on the usage of compared to and compared with i will first check the sentence for parallelism and then think of compared to/with
i chose A
VP
VP

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 14:32
hibloom wrote:
I think rather than banging my head on the usage of compared to and compared with i will first check the sentence for parallelism and then think of compared to/with
i chose A

Hibloom,

How can we say that parallelism (one form of grammar) trumps another grammar issue? In essence your approach really did not care for compared to vs compare with.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 18:15
I have some info to share :
Compared with : used to find out dissimilarities between the two aspects

compared to : used to find the similarities between the two(the extent to which two are similar)

1) (Compared to, Compared with) running, walking is good for people who have knee problems.
answer: Compared to (EXTENT TO WHICH walking and running are similar)

2) Andy compared his math teacher (with, to) his English teacher and pointed out what they had in common and what they did not.
answer: with(Differentiate between the two,pick out differences)

3) When Geri compares her old boyfriend (to. with) her new boyfriend, she points out all the ways in which they are alike.
answer: to (pick out similarities)

4) In order to decide which city to tour, we had to (compare them with, compare them to) each other.(diffrentiate)

(A) with the rates of most other fishes -> compares rate1 with rate2
(B) to most other fishes’ rate -> not correct usage

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 21:22
spriya wrote:
I have some info to share :
Compared with : used to find out dissimilarities between the two aspects

compared to : used to find the similarities between the two(the extent to which two are similar)

answer: Compared to (EXTENT TO WHICH walking and running are similar)

answer: with(Differentiate between the two,pick out differences)

answer: to (pick out similarities)

4) In order to decide which city to tour, we had to (compare them with, compare them to) each other.(diffrentiate)

(A) with the rates of most other fishes -> compares rate1 with rate2
(B) to most other fishes’ rate -> not correct usage

@ Spriya,

When we can use "compared to" to compare the similarities of 2 boy friends, why can't we use "compared to" to compare metabolic rates of sharks and other fish?

In other words, Are you saying that we are comparing dissimilarities by comparing metabolic rates of sharks with other fishes?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 21:30
IMO A.

It correctly compares to parallel items : The metabolic rate of sharks (X) and the ( metabolic ) rates of most other fishes(Y)

Also,

Compared with .. is used to compare differences
and compared to ..is used to compare similarities
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 06:21
COMPARED/COMPAriSON

RIGHT: IN COMPARISON WITH (or TO) horses, zebras are vicious.
A zebra can be COMPARED TO a horse in many ways.
COMPARED WITH a horse, however, a zebra is very hard to tame.
Note: The GMAT ignores the traditional distinction between COMPARED
TO (emphasizing similarities) and COMPARED WITH (emphasizing
differences
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Whether ‘comparison with or comparison to’, one need not break his head. Both are acceptable to GMAT, whether comparing similarities or dissimilarities. I wish to see one that has been decided on TO or WITH. IMO, the rejections are all due to other factors, as can be seen in this very topic.

(A) with the rates of most other fishes – proper comparison of shark’s rate with other rates.
(B) to most other fishes’ rate --- ‘To most other fishes’ rate’ it should be rates and not rate
(C) to that of rates for most other fishes --- that of denotes singularity. It should be ‘to those’; rates for is not an elegant idiom. Rates of is the correct one
(D) to most other fishes ---- wrong comparison of rate to fishes
(E) with most other fishes --- wrong comparison of rate with fishes.

Now can we see how trivial is comparison to or comparison with to GMAT?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 17:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The metabolic rate of sharks is low compared with the rates   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2014, 17:07