Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Middlebury train station is between the Appleton and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
The Middlebury train station is between the Appleton and [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 06:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The Middlebury train station is between the Appleton and Lancaster stations and all three are serviced by the same track. What is the distance between Middlebury and Lancaster?

(1) If a train can travel 50 miles on one pound of coal, it will use twice as much coal traveling from MiddleBury to Lancaster as it will use to travel between Middlebury and Appleton.

(2) Traveling from Appleton to Middlebury at an average rate of 35 mph takes 30 minutes longer than at an average rate of 55 mph.

Please explain your answer and why the other answer choices are wrong.
thanks
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Distance [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 06:58
tarek99 wrote:
The Middlebury train station is between the Appleton and Lancaster stations and all three are serviced by the same track. What is the distance between Middlebury and Lancaster?

(1) If a train can travel 50 miles on one pound of coal, it will use twice as much coal traveling from MiddleBury to Lancaster as it will use to travel between Middlebury and Appleton.

(2) Traveling from Appleton to Middlebury at an average rate of 35 mph takes 30 minutes longer than at an average rate of 55 mph.

Please explain your answer and why the other answer choices are wrong.
thanks

statement 1 : AM = 2x and ML = x, AL = 3x... not suff
statement 2 : AM/35 - AM/55 = 0.5, we can find AM but we have to find ML ... not suff

combine : ML = AM/2 ... suff
C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Distance [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 09:21

------------------------
(1) does not give nay info on the actual cost used. Insufficient. Not sufficient.

(2) we have no info about the distance between M and L. Not sufficient.

(1) + (2)
From (2), assume distance from A to M is D
D = 35(t + 0.5) = 55(t)
35t + 35/2 = 55t
20t = 35/2
t=35/40=7/8
D = 55 *(7/8)

From (1)
assume distance from M to L is E
E = 2D
E = 110*(7/8)

Sufficient

(C)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Distance [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 12:56
OA is C. I chose B because I assumed that M is exactly in the middle. I guess when we are told that M is between the other 2 stations, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is exactly in the middle, but rather anywhere between the 2 stations. cool so i know where i made my mistake.
thanks guys
Re: DS: Distance   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2008, 12:56