Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The migratory paths of the California gray whale and the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 4

The migratory paths of the California gray whale and the [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (02:35) correct 41% (01:20) wrong based on 34 sessions
The migratory paths of the California gray whale and the Pacific humpback now cross at a point roughly two thousand miles northeast of Hawaii, due to human intrusion into the Pacific Ocean along the coast of Oregon. This meeting allows scientists to gather previously unobtainable data about the communication abilities of both of these species, which normally would not come into contact with each other.

Which one of the following statements, if true, would best explain why the situation described above will allow scientists to gather new data?

A. The crossing of the migratory paths of these species has not occurred since records of such data have been kept.
B. The migratory paths followed by the two species are not constant over time.
C. Upon coming into contact with whale of another species, whales alter the pitch of their
“voices” in an attempt to find a common frequency.
D. A whale species need not come into contact with another species to display its ability to communicate.
E. Because it stays in the deep waters of the northern Pacific for ten months out of the year, the Pacific humpback whale has not been extensively studied.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [3] , given: 29

Re: The migratory paths of the California gray whale [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
C

This question seems more difficult than it actually is, mostly because of the use of several proper nouns.

The argument states that because two whale species (their names and the locations are not important) are now crossing paths during their migration, scientists can gather data that they were previously unable to obtain. The question asks for an explanation for this, so the correct answer must offer some reason why the scientists are able to gather new data.

A is incorrect because it does not offer any reason why the scientists may now gather new data. Also, A fails to take into consideration that it would still be possible to gather data even before migration records were kept.

B, like A, does not offer a reason why the scientists may now gather new data. If the paths of the whales were not consistant over time, the whales could have met before.

C is correct because it offers a reason why the scientists may now gather new data. If both whales never meet, they will not use a frequency to communicate with each other. Since the whales are now crossing paths, they emit a new noise, which scientists can record.

D offers no explanation and has nothing to do with the argument.

E is incorrect. Not only does D not provide any explanation as to why the scientists may now gather new data, it also casts doubt on whether or not scientists could previously gather any data.

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Expert Post
Followers: 273

Kudos [?]: 2320 [0], given: 693

Re: The migratory paths of the California gray whale [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:10
Expert's post
commdiver wrote:
C

This question seems more difficult than it actually is, mostly because of the use of several proper nouns.

The argument states that because two whale species (their names and the locations are not important) are now crossing paths during their migration, scientists can gather data that they were previously unable to obtain. The question asks for an explanation for this, so the correct answer must offer some reason why the scientists are able to gather new data.

A is incorrect because it does not offer any reason why the scientists may now gather new data. Also, A fails to take into consideration that it would still be possible to gather data even before migration records were kept.

B, like A, does not offer a reason why the scientists may now gather new data. If the paths of the whales were not consistant over time, the whales could have met before.

C is correct because it offers a reason why the scientists may now gather new data. If both whales never meet, they will not use a frequency to communicate with each other. Since the whales are now crossing paths, they emit a new noise, which scientists can record.

D offers no explanation and has nothing to do with the argument.

E is incorrect. Not only does D not provide any explanation as to why the scientists may now gather new data, it also casts doubt on whether or not scientists could previously gather any data.

I hope that helps :)

well generally speaking, in CR each answer in somehow is not related to the premise or conclusion. is not simple to spot on upper level question, of course, but keeping in mind this is more simple to figure out the right answer. Seems obvious but indeed is so

+ kudos. I like how you approach the questions. Good :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: The migratory paths of the California gray whale [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:19
I completely agree. Once you get to the 700 level, you need to not only be able to immediately recognize what the question is asking, but also what a correct answer might look like (i.e. answer the question without looking at the answer choices). If one cannot do the latter, one will probably not score 40+ in verbal.

Just my 2¢

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Expert Post
Followers: 273

Kudos [?]: 2320 [0], given: 693

Re: The migratory paths of the California gray whale [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:30
Expert's post
commdiver wrote:
I completely agree. Once you get to the 700 level, you need to not only be able to immediately recognize what the question is asking, but also what a correct answer might look like (i.e. answer the question without looking at the answer choices). If one cannot do the latter, one will probably not score 40+ in verbal.

Just my 2¢

half true and half not

In Cr for instance not always the time I figure out the assumption before to read the question: simply because is too difficult and time consuming, moreover spend a lot of time, often is not useful because you have such combinations that is at least impossible to nail the question (sometimes happens, though). Better to say: I have a rough idea and then diving into the question. That' TRUE

The same in SC: at least you must the idea to eliminate answer A (or not) and at the same time what kind of balance point you have to take (i.e. when you have a 3 /2 split: to the left or to the right ?? )

Is diffilcult, is the GMAT (of course)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 21

Re: The migratory paths of the California gray whale [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 02:25
carcass wrote:
commdiver wrote:

Just my 2¢

half true and half not

In Cr for instance not always the time I figure out the assumption before to read the question: simply because is too difficult and time consuming, moreover spend a lot of time, often is not useful because you have such combinations that is at least impossible to nail the question (sometimes happens, though). Better to say: I have a rough idea and then diving into the question. That' TRUE

The same in SC: at least you must the idea to eliminate answer A (or not) and at the same time what kind of balance point you have to take (i.e. when you have a 3 /2 split: to the left or to the right ?? )

Is diffilcult, is the GMAT (of course)

I agree with you. At first I would spend too much time trying to formulate an answer, which in some cases can be done quickly and in other cases cannot, at least for me anyway.

@commdiver: What has helped you to identify the assumption/amswer efficiently? Is it trouble shooting problems on an ongoing basis?
Re: The migratory paths of the California gray whale   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2013, 02:25