Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, a test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, a test [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 06:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, a test developed in the 1930s to assess character, attitudes, and behavior, is finally being revised, after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased.

(A) is finally being revised, after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased.
(B) has recently been attacked as dated and culturally biased and is finally being revised.
(C) is finally under revision for receiving much recent attack as dated and culturally biased.
(D) was finally revised recently because it is being attacked as dated and culturally biased.
(E) is finally to be revised after recent attacks as dated and culturally biased.

Enjoy the question ~

Last edited by pilly on 13 Mar 2005, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 07:04
(A) - broken structure. 'recently as dated and culturally biased' does not put the intent of the sentence to the reader. A is out.
(B) - correct.
(C) - changes meaning of sentence, lengthy and awkward construction
(D) - 'was' and 'is' in the answer choice presents a tense error. It's either 'was' and 'was' or 'is' and 'is'.
(E) - 'to be revise' don't sound right to me.

B it is.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 07:14
ywilfred wrote:
(A) - broken structure. 'recently as dated and culturally biased' does not put the intent of the sentence to the reader. A is out.
(B) - correct.
(C) - changes meaning of sentence, lengthy and awkward construction
(D) - 'was' and 'is' in the answer choice presents a tense error. It's either 'was' and 'was' or 'is' and 'is'.
(E) - 'to be revise' don't sound right to me.

B it is.

Sorry ywilfred, I have edited the post for (E). 'to be revise' is just a typing mistake, it should be 'to be revised'.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 07:45
I'll go with (E) then. 'is finally to be revised' correctly modifies the test, and the rest of the phrase tells us why it needs revision.

E it is.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 08:00
Still like B.

The original sentence conveys that the test is being revised or the process of revision has begun. E changes the meaning with 'to be' signifying the future.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 08:06
prep_gmat wrote:
Still like B.

The original sentence conveys that the test is being revised or the process of revision has begun. E changes the meaning with 'to be' signifying the future.

The future is exactly what we wanted. After recent attacks on the system for being dated and culturally biased, the system is going to be revised. The word 'finally' injects a sense that the reviwing is not done, but will be done soon.

'E.g.: After years of fund-raising, the school extension project is finally to be approved' --> Approval not given yet, but will be given since the nescessary funds has been raised.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 08:13
I am not sure that 'finally' injects a sense that the reviewing is not done or begun, but will be done soon. Even if the OA says so :-)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2005, 01:40
The OA is "B"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 11:41
'B'.

In E 'is finally to be revised' does not use the right tense in context.

Prema
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 13:50
Can someone explain this because on the test i would have picked E and i still see E as the correct answer
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 15:19
The issue is with E

(E) is finally to be revised after recent attacks as dated and culturally biased.

is the dated and culturally biased part because the modification relationship is unclear and as far as I know recent attacks as is a poor idiom too.
  [#permalink] 15 Mar 2005, 15:19