Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 15:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:59) correct 55% (01:01) wrong based on 210 sessions
The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to mediate the radical differences between slaveholders and abolitionists, did not achieve its goal and thus is remembered by history as a failure, just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert sectional civil war.

a. just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert
b. just the first of a half-dozen more attempts to avert
c. and the first attempt of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert
d. and just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts averting
e. and just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts aimed at averting
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Last edited by Marcab on 24 Jun 2013, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined the sentence.
Manager
Manager

Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 15:32
Can someone explain to me how this is a proper sentence with the 'and' omitted?

I can't help but feel that the sentence, with original construction, is either a run-on or has some other grammatical construct error. I haven't seen this issue outside of Kaplan, but have seen this considered by Kaplan as a correct construct in 3 questions.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 40

Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 20:33
its a absolute modifier.

Tests idioms.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 15

Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Mattce,

I understood your doubt.
X, Y is a run on sentence if and only if X, Y are independent clauses( which means that both sentences must have main subject and a main verb ) and are not connected with any conjunction.

Example: I like to watch television, Watching television for long hours is not good for eyes. -> Run on sentence
I like to watch television, but watching television for long hours is not good for eyes. -> not a Run sentence(connected by but)

the sentence in QA - just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert sectional civil war. is not an independent clause. Hence the option A is not a run-on sentence
Hope it helps

Kudos always encourages me

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 643 [2] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mattce wrote:
The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to mediate the radical differences between slaveholders and abolitionists, did not achieve its goal and thus is remembered by history as a failure, just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert sectional civil war.

Good question.
First of all try to identify the simple modifiers and to eliminate it, if it is of no use. Here the simple modifier is : "a legislative effort to mediate the radical differences between slaveholders and abolitionists". On removal of this modifier, the sentence becomes:-
The Missouri Compromise of 1820 did not achieve its goal and thus is remembered by history as a failure, just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert sectional civil war.

The last part of the sentence is a modifier and is describing the entire preceding clause. Such type of modifier is called Absolute Phrases.

POE:
B:-changes the meaning entirely.
C, D,E: usage of ",and" justifies nothing. In the preceding clause, it says that the act will be remembered by history as failure. Hence, if it were to use in a sense in which it has to be remembered, then there shouldn't have been a comma. Since its there, CDE are incorrect.

Regards,

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager

Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 21:05
swati007 wrote:
Hi Mattce,

I understood your doubt.
X, Y is a run on sentence if and only if X, Y are independent clauses( which means that both sentences must have main subject and a main verb ) and are not connected with any conjunction.

Example: I like to watch television, Watching television for long hours is not good for eyes. -> Run on sentence
I like to watch television, but watching television for long hours is not good for eyes. -> not a Run sentence(connected by but)

the sentence in QA - just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert sectional civil war. is not an independent clause. Hence the option A is not a run-on sentence
Hope it helps

Hey - thank you for the clarification on run-ons.

Ok, I realize now that it's not a run-on sentence, but I still feel that it has some sort of error:

Your example sentence, "I like to watch television, but watching television for long hours is not good for eyes" is fine because of the conjunction, but I don't think this follows the same construct as this Kaplan question. Your example joins two independent clauses with a conjunction. Their answer adds on some sort of modifying phrase without any conjunction.

The problem's sentence construct is in my opinion equivalent to the following:

I love to eat chocolate, just the ones in the red box.
==
The 1820 Compromise is a failure, just the first of many.

I cannot identify what type of error this is, but it definitely sounds wrong to me.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 643 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 21:09
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 21:16
Marcab wrote:

Hey, thank you for the link.

I went through your thread and understand those examples, but to me they are very different from the sentence in this thread.

I can't put my finger on exactly how they differ, but the examples in the thread you linked sound correct to me, while the constructs that I see in these Kaplan examples just sound terrible.

Are you saying that "I love to eat chocolate, just the ones in the red box." is a correct sentence? Because this seems to be the structure of this problem's answer..

(I don't think your 'how' method applies to either of these sentences, which makes me even more certain that this is different.)

Edit:

I think the following sentence, which I know is grammatically correct, would be closer to those given in the thread that you linked:

The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to blah blah blah... was considered a failure, its dozens of goals never coming to fruition.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 33

Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 08:19
The key here is to remember that 'and' introduces parallellism. with and you must repeat the 'as' ( remembered as)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 33

Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 08:20
The key here is to remember that 'and' introduces parallellism. with and you must repeat the 'as' ( remembered as)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS

B-->change in meaning
C-->redundant...first attempt of more than ___ attempts? why not just say first of a few attempts
D-->attempts averting...wrong idiomatic structure
E-->attempts aimed at...again wrong idiomatic structure. You attempt TO do something.
Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2013, 08:49