Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The modernization program for the steel mill will cost

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

The modernization program for the steel mill will cost [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 22:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980’s.
(A) The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980’s.
(B) The modernization program for the steel mill, hopefully completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
(C) Modernizing the steel mill, hopefully to be completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
(D) The program for modernizing the steel mill, which can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980’s and cost approximately 51 million dollars.
(E) Modernizing the steel mill, a program that can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.

Please explain answers...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - steel mill [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 22:38
I'll go with C

A has a misplaced modifier. B changes the meaning. D is unnecessarily wordy. E is a bit awkward and has ambiguous 'it'

Cheers,
Unplugged
SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - steel mill [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 08:25
definitely between C and E

I will go with E

GMAT prefers "it is hoped" than "hopefully" --> ALMOST ALWAYS wrong to use hopefully.

http://www.answers.com/topic/hopefully

I would like to add someone's great explantion on this:

"
Why is hopefully wrong? Is it incorrect to say hopefully?

We have an old grammar controversy in English about the use of hopefully. Some people think that it shouldn't be used as a "sentence adverb," (i.e., an adverb at the beginning of the sentence, usually with a comma after it). These people think that it should instead be used like this: We waited for the results hopefully, meaning in a hopeful way.

Inflation in the US has not and, we hope, never will reach a rate of 20 percent a year.

a) and, we hope, never will reach
b) reached and, we hope never will
c) and hopefully never will reach
d) reached and, we hope, never will reach
e) reached and hopefully never will reach

A, B, and C are all wrong because they are not parallel--we can only omit a word if it is exactly the same in both cases.

For example:

I haven't visited Bora Bora, and neither has Kerry [visited Bora Bora].

In this case, I can omit visited Bora Bora because it already appears in the sentence.

Let's look at another example:

I haven't visited Bora Bora, and I probably never will [V] visit Bora Bora [V].

This is wrong, at least on the GMAT, since visited and visit are different.

So, this question, at least the way it's written, presents us with a problem--we need to choose either D, which is grammatically correct, but a little awkward because of the location of 'we hope' or E, which is grammatically correct, but uses the controversial 'hopefully.'

Between the two, I'd go for D as the best GMAT answer, but I don't think this type of question would appear on the GMAT; this question looks to me to be a question from a practice book.

Can you tell me where it's from?

Hope this helps you, Calin!!

Erin
"

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - steel mill [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 09:50
Another E for the same reason "hopefully" vs "it is hoped".
Re: SC - steel mill   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2009, 09:50