Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
181 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 627

Kudos [?]: 2531 [181] , given: 745

The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- Verbal

Hello All. This attachment below is the most gigantic collection of official questions ever made.
It includes:

Basically its a complete collection of ALL gmatprep questions of all the softwares! This includes the latest gmatprep: so use it in the final leg of your prep.
This set contains the hardest meaning based questions the GMAT ever made- a lot of those questions are currently not available on our GMATPREP verbal documents.
An example of these new meaning based questions is

As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA E

And the best news is: This collection also comes with an answer key, yet I would highly recommend googling each questions and reviewing thoroughly using "expert replies".

I would strongly recommend reviewing at least 50% of these questions to develop a "GMAT ear" and get a hang of what the GMAT likes and doesn't like.
Thank you!

!
Do not attempt these if you have not covered/used up the CAT's in the GMAT Prep software yet. Otherwise, you will get repeat questions and your score estimate will not be accurate

Attachments

GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC.pdf [1.12 MiB]
Downloaded 20041 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC OA.pdf [615.96 KiB]
Downloaded 11741 times

To download please login or register as a user

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Souvik

This is exactly what I needed before going for the kill (read GMAT exam). +10Kudos to you

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 00:46
Thanks a lot Souvik!!!
Kudos to you!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-15-2012
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 17:01
souvik101990 ,
Kudos to you! Thank you so much.
Can you tell us what does part 12,3 signify? old vs new gmatprep?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 22:05
Zillion Kudos for this one too!!!

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 01:30
Can we have something of the most comprehensive collection of everything in official PS and DS. That would be of great help.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 09:41
You rock my man, God bless you for you generosity!

God loves the steadfast.

6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [6] , given: 18

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 01:45
This post received
KUDOS
As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

This is a confusing question. So breaking into chunks won't be of any help. Lets get what the question intends to say.

Meaning : The author is talking about a Honeybee's stinger. Now stinger is something that holds its sting. So what to we have to do with the sting? The sting is barbed. Ok. So what does its barbed attribute help in? It helps in holding the sting where it's inserted. So the phrase means that there a stinger in a honeybee which is heavily barbed(piny). Think of blood sucking spiders or leeches with its 8 legs. Now this barbed stinger helps in maintaining the position of the sting. IF the position is not maintained such an act of blood sucking can prove fatal to the honeybee. It may fall or may be anything else. But the fact is there's a stinger which maintains its position due to XYZ attribute and this maintenance of position helps in the act of stinging prevents a fatal injury to bees. [Who cares about humans?We already have a large population. (jst kidding) ]

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted. this results in the act of stinging causing. What causes? THIS is ambiguous. Wrong
(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes. Nothing much right with it. Uselessly wordy.Wrong
(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes. It very categorically says the honeybee's stinger results in the fact that bla-bla-bla.... But does the stinger result in any factor? So wrong
(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing. Andis used to mark parallelism or do listing. Now there is no parallelism in consideration. So it may list things. So what does the phrase list 1) the heavily barbed stinger does smthng smthng 2) results in the act of stinging causing bla-bla-bla...... But did the intended meaning of the sentence ask us to list these 2 things. No its said due to a certain feature of the sting, a fatal injury is prevented. Does it convey the intended meaning? No. So wrong.
(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes. Now it clearly conveys the intended meaning, no ambiguity, no listing, proper cause and effect. So right :-D :-D :-D :-D

Press +1Kudos :-) Thank u

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 28

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Souvik,

You recommend that we go through the questions in the final leg of our prep. I am planning to take Gmat prep 2 just 2 days before the exam. Wouldnt practising the questions beforehand improve my gmat prep score and not give me an actual picture of my prep.? Please let me know how to go about it.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 08:28
aks220488 wrote:
Hi Souvik,

You recommend that we go through the questions in the final leg of our prep. I am planning to take Gmat prep 2 just 2 days before the exam. Wouldnt practising the questions beforehand improve my gmat prep score and not give me an actual picture of my prep.? Please let me know how to go about it.

I got the same Question. :shock:

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2531 [4] , given: 745

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey
It depends on your perspective.
Doing a lot of official questions should definitely help your cause.
But are you looking for a score prediction 2 days prior to your test day?
Is getting an unexpected score going to make you postpone the test?
If answer to both of the questions are yes then I suggest that you stay off the sets.
However, I would give myself a week after I have done with the final gmatprep and in that 1 week I would work on maintaining a proper sleep pattern and working on my diet etc so that nothing goes wrong. In those 7 days I would solve official questions from these sets and would not touch any unofficial material at all.
But thats just me!

Souvik

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 09:26
souvik101990 wrote:
Hey
If answer to both of the questions are yes then I suggest that you stay off the sets.
However, I would give myself a week after I have done with the final gmatprep and in that 1 week I would work on maintaining a proper sleep pattern and working on my diet etc so that nothing goes wrong. In those 7 days I would solve official questions from these sets and would not touch any official material at all.
But thats just me!

Souvik

I seriously have been trying to solve this puzzle . you made it easy!! thanks

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 28

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 20:48
souvik101990 wrote:
Hey
However, I would give myself a week after I have done with the final gmatprep and in that 1 week I would work on maintaining a proper sleep pattern and working on my diet etc so that nothing goes wrong. In those 7 days I would solve official questions from these sets and would not touch any unofficial material at all.
But thats just me!

Souvik

Thanks for the guidance, Souvik. Your suggestion sounds better and I will revise my preparation plan accordingly.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 07:48
Expert's post
Hi Souvik,
Can you please let me know where can I get the 'Expert Reply' icon to identify the posts that have expert replies?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2531 [0], given: 745

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 07:53
Expert's post
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 10:11
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Souvik,
Can you please let me know where can I get the 'Expert Reply' icon to identify the posts that have expert replies?

Is this what you are looking for?
http://screencast.com/t/JoCX74Qbga1F

Ya thanks...!!!

But Souvik,things are getting more confusing and complicated here such as over the 'Honeybee' question..

As per Expert's reply( GMAT-Pill) it's C but you've mentioned E as OA...

Appreciate your reply..!!

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2531 [0], given: 745

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 10:16
Expert's post

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
Well I ll have to say gmatpill was wrong (or overlooked) this one.
Can you tell me why do you like C over E?
I might be able to help better then.
Also you can check my signature for a couple of good question sets with OE.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2531 [1] , given: 745

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
C is saying
The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
Lets remove the fluffy modifier to get the core of the sentence:

The honeybee’s stinger results in the fact that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
The stinger itself does not result into the sustaining of injury. Its the act of stinging. This sentence is guilty of distorted meaning.
I can give you a better explanation if you need one. (having dinner)

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 10:31
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:
C is saying
The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
Lets remove the fluffy modifier to get the core of the sentence:

The honeybee’s stinger results in the fact that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
The stinger itself does not result into the sustaining of injury. Its the act of stinging. This sentence is guilty of distorted meaning.
I can give you a better explanation if you need one. (having dinner)

Well,I thought it in this way:

The honeybee’s stinger, (being) heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

So, 'being' is understood here,so the stringer because of having these attributes results (or I should say act as a catalyst) in the fact as mentioned later in the sentence.Thus, it's in line with actual meaning of the sentence and also concise.

Please share you thoughts! would like to get in detail...

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2531 [1] , given: 745

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
souvik101990, substituting classes with counter strike tournaments, resulted in his failure in the semester.
this doesnt make sense does it?
souvik101990 can be responsible for his failure but cannot actually result in the failure.
subtle wordplay to make "meaning" questions on the GMAT.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Re: The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2012, 10:41