Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:25
I love the guy whose top work experience includes: front desk agent and scotty's brewhouse while he made a 4.0 at Purdue in Management? WTF? Why didn't he get a real job?
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:37
yea or the guy who put 3.9000 out of 4.0000

or affluent in english...etc etc
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 06:52
^ Affluent in English! Priceless!

Makes me wonder if I should remove the fact that I graduated "Sumo Cum Laude" from my resume... :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 07:12
That made me chuckle too! WTF is right.

jb32 wrote:
I love the guy whose top work experience includes: front desk agent and scotty's brewhouse while he made a 4.0 at Purdue in Management? WTF? Why didn't he get a real job?

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 07:40
lumone wrote:
In some European countries, you need to put your picture :bebe and marital status.

Indeed, putting your pic and marital status is not frowned upon in Europe, unless you're divorced (it's not recommended to put it, because it sounds like a failure) or you look like a monster (Luke Chadwick style for the soccer amateurs :-D ).

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 08:13
pelihu wrote:
Picture and marital status, what is this a dating service? :lol:

Hey, it's a tough world out there :-D

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 10:34
agreed ... the preponderance of lengthy verbose resumes was odd. Perhaps there are some cultural and regional differences that account for it?

riverripper wrote:
sonibubu wrote:
I'm surprised at how few put their GMAT scores on the resume.

A lot of those arent top tier schools so there arent going to be the number of 700+ scorers as they will be at a top 5 school. What shocks me the most is there were multiple people who had two page resumes.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 10:36
riverripper wrote:
sonibubu wrote:

A lot of those arent top tier schools so there arent going to be the number of 700+ scorers as they will be at a top 5 school. What shocks me the most is there were multiple people who had two page resumes.

Makes sense. I did see a 680 GMAT on a resume, that's probably stretching it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 13:57
sm332 wrote:
agreed ... the preponderance of lengthy verbose resumes was odd. Perhaps there are some cultural and regional differences that account for it?

riverripper wrote:
sonibubu wrote:

IMO 1.5, 2 page resume is pretty standard, but I could be wrong. Could be a cultural difference (EU vs US), but it could also simply be ignorance on my side :-D

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 14:07
Audio wrote:
IMO 1.5, 2 page resume is pretty standard, but I could be wrong. Could be a cultural difference (EU vs US), but it could also simply be ignorance on my side :-D

In the US the only people with more than a 1 page resume are academics or senior level folks. I always thought schools would tell the internationals the american way of 1 page resumes. I know a lot of schools make you have a specific format so the resumes in their books like identical.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 19:21
Not to pile on here, but what about pg 7.

Champion in Fear Factor 08/2006, USA
* Physical Competition

That's actually pretty cool.

P&G Skill Seminar 04/2007, Denmark
* How to Ace an Interview and Writing an Outstanding CV

Did he take this seminar or was he the lecturer for it?

Driving License B

No comment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 05:52
CerealsMBA> I believe that you're from France (so am I ;) ). Congrats on your Chicago admit!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 06:10
Thanks! I am actually not a French Citizen, but I went through the French education system, went to college in France and worked there for a while (I basically spent there the last 10 years of my life) ... So, to a certain extent, even though I am in the US now, France is home ;)

Let me know if you have any questions about applying with a French profile, I'd be glad to help!
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:11
Anyone notice the guy who got a 99% percentile rank in the AWA section of the GMAT?

Funny, I thought the highest score you could get was 6/6 which corresponds to a 81% percentile rank.

RF

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:15
Umm...I had a 5.5 in January and that was 83%ile. A 6.0 can certainly not be 81%ile - but point taken, it can't be 99%ile either.

refurb wrote:
Anyone notice the guy who got a 99% percentile rank in the AWA section of the GMAT?

Funny, I thought the highest score you could get was 6/6 which corresponds to a 81% percentile rank.

RF
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:27
refurb wrote:

RF

6/6 was 95th percentile as of last year. It may have gone down a bit since, but its gotta be at least 93 or so still.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 14:47
I got a 6.0 on my AWA about 3 weeks ago, and it was 87%-tile.
Current Student
Schools: Texas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 19:14
6.0 AWA came to 89th percentile when I took my GMAT in April 2008.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 20:37
icon wrote:
6.0 AWA came to 89th percentile when I took my GMAT in April 2008.

it was around 89th percentile also when I took the GMAT in Jan 2008.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 20:39
sam77sam7 wrote:
As easy as it may be to criticize some of these resumes, I think it actually provides a good chance for us all to evaluate our own resume, and as Peli noted, make sure we are actually conveying the skills we have, not just the titles we have held...

Some of these are just a laundry list of titles, test scores, and dates. I think it serves as a good reminder on what actually matters... (hint: not that stuff for the most part)

The book certainly has some impressive people, but there are certainly some of those resumes that provide examples of what not to do.

By the way, naturallight, so you are saying I should take my driver license accomplishment off my resume? :wink:

~Sam

It's also interesting to see the different writing styles used to describe similar positions - goes to show how even though folks have the same title, their actual functions can vary :)
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2008, 20:39