Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [6] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:34
This post received
KUDOS
Ladies and gentlemen,

I present to you another gem that I have found through my skillful Google searches. I do not believe this one is copyrighted or in any way illegal, but if it is we can take it down.

Old link broken.
New link found: http://www.scribd.com/doc/59526558/Resume-Book-GBC-2008

Beware, it is about 6MB and takes a few minutes to download.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [4] , given: 0

Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
Some of these resumes are not that good (listing titles, etc.), and make a good case for the what not to do. But I agree with Lumone. In Europe, employers sometimes require a picture, marital status, etc. There is absolutely nothing funny about it. If anything, this CV book provides a good insight on how to approach the cultural differences between the countries. I would guess that these dudes are somehow achievers in their countries, so maybe that's the way to go where they are from...

On another note, many Europeans also are weirded out by US resumes. In France for example, where people are pretty conservative about their achievements, US resumes often look cocky and arrogant :wink: , as everyone seems to have been a VP/manager out of college, and saved the world from poverty, financial crisis and the return of the pterodactiles...
4 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 111 [4] , given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
Haha, how funny that US people laugh at other ways of making your CV. I'm myself surprised because it seems that only in the US the trend is to focus on accomplishments and avoid everything else.

I lived and worked in 3 different continents, and most of the formats I've seen and was required to write were the long CV with lots of personal information, sometimes including pictures.

I'm not defending this style, but maybe just explaining the usefulness. Keep in mind the main difference between a US resume and another country CV: achievements vs. information.

The driver license for example, may look weird to put it in your resume because it's an easy exam (you don't brag about it), but believe me, in other countries were not everyone knows how to drive a car (for different reasons varying from a different transportation system, manual transmission cars only, the family of an individual never owned a car, other cultural differences - in some countries is rare to see women driving) that information is really useful. Once we hired a project manager and relocated him to a remote location were there was no other transportation than our 4 wheel drive jeep. Most of us in the administration drove the cars of the organization and were fine about it. We were surprised that only after he relocated he revealed to us that he didn't know how to drive and that we had to hire a driver for him!!! (in some countries, it's usual to have a driver so the boss can still speak on the phone while traveling, or can just rest, besides it's a showcase of hierarchy or prestige if he can afford it). We had a very restricted budget for that location and it turned out very bad not knowing that info. I know that you can find out about it in the interview, but since we had few CVs for that position we made a direct decision and hired him because he was by far the best candidate and didn't interview most of the applicants.

In some countries you pay compensations to the employees for each dependent of the family (spouse, children), and other allowances for school age kids, some of them in a monthly basis, other once a year (for example when the school starts), other occasionally (when a child is born) so it's a must when reviewing candidates for a position to know in advance those details in order to budget properly. Usually, when applying for a job the candidate sends a letter to show his interest plus the CV. So, that personal information will go to the CV and before interviewing the candidate you already know it. If you can't afford under the law to pay for a specific position all the allowances for a number of dependents, then you save time not interviewing the candidates with most number of dependents. It really makes sense and for me it's not funny at all, but I can understand why you find it surprising. In one country I worked, when the wife gets pregnant you pay a compensation of about 6 months and keep the position available for her if she decides to return for 2 years, so if you hired someone else for that position you have to move around the people in the office to comply with the law. If you are hiring a woman 32 years old that got married 3 months ago, then you know she will work for you few months before taking the leave (since she won't wait many years to have kids as she is getting old for that). In that setting, it's imperative to know this information.

About the picture: I read once in a Carnegie book the story of Abraham Lincoln that after interviewing a person and sending him away, his assistants asked him: "why if he looked like a good fit for the job?" A. L. said: "I just didn't like his face." His assistants replied: "well, what can he do about it?" A. L. replied: "after 30, a person is responsible for his face." If you pay attention to the faces of people, some characteristics will show you whether the person smiles often, gets angry often, is boring, etc. Those characteristics only deepen with time. If you are the interviewer and see 2 almost identical CV, you can already have some insights if you have the pictures of the candidates before the interview. I know this feature is on decline and recently I haven't seen many CVs with pictures on them, but in the past it was common. I also remember some companies requiring you to hand write your CV (that was some years ago), they would not take another option. The same reason: some people believe that your hand writing shows traits of your personality, character, etc.

I think it's ok to laugh about a poor CV if written by a fellow of your country, because it shows that he doesn't know what he's doing. If you're laughing at how others did it in other countries, then for me it just shows how narrow your knowledge is and how little international exposure you have. In a anthropology seminar I attended I learned that people who can't adjust to another culture are those who are not open minded enough to understand the possibility that things are done different in other places and that is ok. In the CV case, I think that other countries have other customs for a reason, otherwise they wouldn't do it that way, don't you agree?
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
I'm surprised at how few put their GMAT scores on the resume.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [2] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 22:27
This post received
KUDOS
naturallight wrote:
Driving License B

No comment.

Hey, that driver's test is hard! I'm just glad I hit the 80/80 split on my road and written sections.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
One more thing: different does not necessarily means inferior. I say that because of the jokes and comments made on foreign resumes.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
In some European countries, you need to put your picture :bebe and marital status.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 420 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
Picture and marital status, what is this a dating service? :lol:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
sonibubu wrote:

A lot of those arent top tier schools so there arent going to be the number of 700+ scorers as they will be at a top 5 school. What shocks me the most is there were multiple people who had two page resumes.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
riverripper wrote:
sonibubu wrote:

A lot of those arent top tier schools so there arent going to be the number of 700+ scorers as they will be at a top 5 school. What shocks me the most is there were multiple people who had two page resumes.

If you look at the resume books from Duke and Tuck, you'll notice that most of the Duke students put their GMAT scores on their resumes, while none of the Tuck guys did. Actually, none of the Wharton people did either.

RF

Last edited by refurb on 22 Jul 2008, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
I haven't looked at this closely (just taking a break at work), but there's clearly a difference in styles & theme between the US and international resumes. International students hoping to get a job in the US need to learn to target their resumes better. If anyone is interested, take a look at the 2-page resume (CV actually, which explains some of the difference) starting on p.50. I hate to be harsh, but these two pages have zero value in a job hunt in the US, and probably anywhere else for that matter.

1. He uses 1/3 of the first page to list his name and address
2. He uses a chunk of the second page to list language skills in some unknown (to me at least) format
3. He uses 1/2 of the first page listing his school experiences back to elementary school (!?!?), yet doesn't provide a single useful tidbit
4. He spends a full page listing the positions he's held, yet doesn't say a single word about what he did, what he learned or how he contributed

A resume needs to include points that grab interest, and prompt people reading it to want to learn more and ask questions. The only thing on these entire two pages with any value at all is his job as a crepe maker, which should be valuable for about 45 seconds of conversation. Other than that, the entire thing is completely forgettable. I'm shocked that his career office would let something like this come out, but ultimately each person is responsible for themselves. Tragic really. There isn't enough content here to merit 1/2 page, let alone two pages.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
Oh, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I think this is a conference for business school leaders. It struck me that two Darden attendees were the class president from last year and this year; and it seems that many attendees were leaders from their schools.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
As easy as it may be to criticize some of these resumes, I think it actually provides a good chance for us all to evaluate our own resume, and as Peli noted, make sure we are actually conveying the skills we have, not just the titles we have held...

Some of these are just a laundry list of titles, test scores, and dates. I think it serves as a good reminder on what actually matters... (hint: not that stuff for the most part)

The book certainly has some impressive people, but there are certainly some of those resumes that provide examples of what not to do.

By the way, naturallight, so you are saying I should take my driver license accomplishment off my resume? :wink:

~Sam
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 23:44
This post received
KUDOS
Yes, there are many differences between US and European resumes. And there also are differences between resumes from European countries. Btw, it's called CV in UK & Ireland.
Pictures, marital status and number of children with their age, driving licence, 2 pages are standard in some countries.
A few years ago I was applying for internship in the UK. At 20 of age I did not have much to put, but was advised by a British friend to write a 2 page resume anyway. 1 page resume looks as if I had not done much.
You wouldn't put a personal statement on a French or German resume, but you would on a British one. Also, there is a lot more text about details of responbilities and achievements on an American resumes. In Germany, you would normally sign your resume (this is disappearing though as most resumes aren't sent by post anymore), etc...
In short: tailor your resume for the country you applying in.

I am not sure what this book is for. Maybe these students are not even looking for jobs in the US. This book may be used for giving information on participants of a conference for instance.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
I think 2 pages is OK if you need the space. For example, HBS' limit is 2 pages on the application. Why wouldn't they just say 1 page if that's what they wanted>
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
refurb wrote:
Anyone notice the guy who got a 99% percentile rank in the AWA section of the GMAT?

Funny, I thought the highest score you could get was 6/6 which corresponds to a 81% percentile rank.

RF

Who cares about AWA?!?
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:45
interesting, it seems to be a mix of schools, not just Haas. One dude has his picture on his resume lol
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 19:54
LOL yeah. This is actually very diverse but it shows you a good glimpse of students at a variety of schools. One guy actually had Marital Status on his resume *sigh*. For the guys who don't have much patience, most of the Haas resumes are towards the end.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 20:03
I actually recognized a guy on there from 6th grade, very weird.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 781

Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 20:08
Does anyone know if these books are sold to recruiters? we would have to remove the link if they are for sale.

terp06, do not get discouraged or anything -- we just have to be a little careful.
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2008, 20:08