Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The most effective and precise surveying technique for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

The most effective and precise surveying technique for [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 13:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (02:12) correct 48% (01:26) wrong based on 111 sessions
The most effective and precise surveying technique for determining the extent of income tax evasion in the United States is an anonymous workplace survey. This type of survey precisely reaches the target group, individuals with an income, and, because those individuals do not provide names or personal information, confidentiality is assured. We can then create an accurate picture of the amount and distribution of income tax evasion in the United States.

Which of the following provides the most serious criticism of the argument above?

A.The plan overlooks the fact that a significant number of income tax evaders may have no legal source of income or place of employment.
B.The plan overlooks the fact that some people may lie for fear of being identified as tax evaders.
C.The plan does not distinguish between tax evasion and the legitimate use of tax loopholes.
D.The plan does not distinguish between tax evasion and the legitimate use of tax loopholes.
E.The plan's anonymity prevents government officials from identifying income tax evaders and prosecuting them.

Eliminated 3 choices on the first 30 seconds. then when had 2 left chose the wrong one.
I re-read the stem and still not sure about the reasoning behind it.
Can someone elaborate?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 66 [2] , given: 3

Re: The most effective and precise surveying technique for deter [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Rogyush,

Let me try helping you with this one.

I am guessing that the statements you got stuck with are 1 and 2. If I am wrong, please let me know I will help you further with the other statements.

Let us first analyze the premise and the conclusion. The argument comes to the conclusion that the most effective and precise surveying technique for determining the extent of income evasion in the United States is anonymous workplace survey. This conclusion is reached on the believes that this type of survey reaches the exact target group i.e. the workforce and that since people's identities are kept confidential, they will be more sincere with the survey.
We need to provide a point that provides criticism for this conclusion or argument.
Let us pre-analyze the argument. A great criticism for the argument would attack the two main premises for the argument i.e. the survey reaches the precise group of people- the workforce and people will not lie as they are sure that the data collected in the survey will remain anonymous.

Now, statement 2) tells us that some people might still lie for fear of being caught. However, notice the doubt in this case. The "some" might be .01% of workforce to 40 or more percentage of workforce. Hence, this does not give us concrete evidence or counterpoint against the argument.

However, the first option clearly states that a significant number of income tax evaders have no legal source of income or place of an employment. This implies that these people are not being covered in the survey at all and thus, the survey might be missing a major proportion of tax evaders in the calculation. This conclusively proves that the survey is not as effective as the argument would like us to believe.

Hope this helps! Let me know in case of any further queries/doubts.

roygush wrote:
The most effective and precise surveying technique for determining the extent of income tax evasion in the United States is an anonymous workplace survey. This type of survey precisely reaches the target group, individuals with an income, and, because those individuals do not provide names or personal information, confidentiality is assured. We can then create an accurate picture of the amount and distribution of income tax evasion in the United States.

Which of the following provides the most serious criticism of the argument above?

A.The plan overlooks the fact that a significant number of income tax evaders may have no legal source of income or place of employment.
B.The plan overlooks the fact that some people may lie for fear of being identified as tax evaders.
C.The plan does not distinguish between tax evasion and the legitimate use of tax loopholes.
D.The plan does not distinguish between tax evasion and the legitimate use of tax loopholes.
E.The plan's anonymity prevents government officials from identifying income tax evaders and prosecuting them.

Eliminated 3 choices on the first 30 seconds. then when had 2 left chose the wrong one.
Can someone elaborate?

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

Manager
Manager

Re: The most effective and precise surveying technique for deter [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 12:44
Kris01 wrote:
Hello Rogyush,

Let me try helping you with this one.

I am guessing that the statements you got stuck with are 1 and 2. If I am wrong, please let me know I will help you further with the other statements.

Let us first analyze the premise and the conclusion. The argument comes to the conclusion that the most effective and precise surveying technique for determining the extent of income evasion in the United States is anonymous workplace survey. This conclusion is reached on the believes that this type of survey reaches the exact target group i.e. the workforce and that since people's identities are kept confidential, they will be more sincere with the survey.
We need to provide a point that provides criticism for this conclusion or argument.
Let us pre-analyze the argument. A great criticism for the argument would attack the two main premises for the argument i.e. the survey reaches the precise group of people- the workforce and people will not lie as they are sure that the data collected in the survey will remain anonymous.

Now, statement 2) tells us that some people might still lie for fear of being caught. However, notice the doubt in this case. The "some" might be .01% of workforce to 40 or more percentage of workforce. Hence, this does not give us concrete evidence or counterpoint against the argument.

However, the first option clearly states that a significant number of income tax evaders have no legal source of income or place of an employment. This implies that these people are not being covered in the survey at all and thus, the survey might be missing a major proportion of tax evaders in the calculation. This conclusively proves that the survey is not as effective as the argument would like us to believe.

Hope this helps! Let me know in case of any further queries/doubts.

roygush wrote:

Can someone elaborate?

Thanks. it is clearer now.
How often do you use this "some" trick?
I can use it in many other CR questions that have similar words like - less, more, many etc...

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: The most effective and precise surveying technique for deter [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 12:47
Hello roygush,

You got it right on spot. When it comes to CR questions, pay special attention to words like some,little,more,most, etc. They almost always have a trap.

roygush wrote:

I can use it in many other CR questions that have similar words like - less, more, many etc...

Thanks
Kris

Post your queries

Manager
Manager

Re: The most effective and precise surveying technique for deter [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 13:55
Kris01 wrote:
Hello roygush,

You got it right on spot. When it comes to CR questions, pay special attention to words like some,little,more,most, etc. They almost always have a trap.

roygush wrote:

I know its not a RULE i should follow but just for general knowledge, lets say im down to two questions and one them contains one of these words, should i assume that this is the one i should eliminate and choose the other one?
Thanks again

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: The most effective and precise surveying technique for deter [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 14:01
No, not at all!! Sometimes your passage or argument might be talking only about a few people or few things. At such times there is a probability that those options might be right. What you should do is compare the usage of such words in passage and the options and then make sure that the right answer is consistent with the argument or passage when it comes to usage of such words.

However, when you do see such words like most, some, always etc, pay special attention to those options as these words might be the factors which might help you quicken up the decision process. Counter check their usage with the argument or passage quickly and based on that eliminate some options.

roygush wrote:
Kris01 wrote:
Hello roygush,

roygush wrote:

I know its not a RULE i should follow but just for general knowledge, lets say im down to two questions and one them contains one of these words, should i assume that this is the one i should eliminate and choose the other one?
Thanks again

Thanks
Kris

Post your queries

Re: The most effective and precise surveying technique for deter   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2013, 14:01