Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 11:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (02:14) correct 40% (01:24) wrong based on 21 sessions
The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a scene’s rhythm. Conveying rhythm depends less on the artistic quality of the individual photographic images than on how the shots go together and the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true on the basis of them?

(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography.

(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers.

(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality does not in itself guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker.

(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take.

(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 13:07
C

Please post the OA
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Moviemaking [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 13:54
Skewed wrote:
The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a scene’s rhythm. Conveying rhythm depends less on the artistic quality of the individual photographic images than on how the shots go together and the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true on the basis of them?

(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography.

(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers.

(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality does not in itself guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker.

(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take.

(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place.

Everything can be elim but C and E.

I think id go for C, b/c E requires a lil bit more than the passage has. Maybe highliting different aspects are not always required to effectively convey rhythm. It probably helps majorly, but maybe not all the time.

C is much better, its def clear that having superb artistic value will not always gurantee great moviemaking skills.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Moviemaking [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 07:58
C...

E just repeats what is given in the last sentence of the CR, The word 'many' makes it unsuitable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 20

Re: CR - Moviemaking [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 08:42
I would say this is not a good question.
C says about moviemakers and the passage is about moviemaking.
E says about a MUST condition that is also not true.

So none of the choice seems correct to me.. :(
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Moviemaking [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 21:16
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Moviemaking [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 22:17
C looks for of an inference answer choice than must be true answer choice.

E does repeat a portion of the argument and hence is necessarily true.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
WE: Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: CR - Moviemaking [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 23:59
important point noted and highlighted

not supported by stimilus AND out of scope

not supported by stimilus

the statement is supported by stimilus

out of scope and not supported

TRAP , underlined not supported whereas statement says
Quote:
[/u]the order in [/u]which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

hence C

lets start again

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Moviemaking [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:44
kamalkicks wrote:
important point noted and highlighted

not supported by stimilus AND out of scope

not supported by stimilus

the statement is supported by stimilus

out of scope and not supported

TRAP , underlined not supported whereas statement says
Quote:
[/u]the order in [/u]which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

hence C

Hi,
Exactly, I have the same reasoning as posted in this quote. And hence C.
But, some people say that it is a repetition and therefore not E. I feel, it's not E because 'Must' with only one condition of all other conditions(like order of scenes etc) has been mentioned.
I don't see the case of repetition to be a reason for elimination. Since it is of a 'must true' question type and not a 'conclusion' question type.
Am i right?
Can someone explain?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 07:38
Skewed wrote:

(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography. => not relate

(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers. => irrelevant

(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take. => quite out of scope

I feel C and E are contenders. Let's negate both of them.

(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker. => but lack of processing the shots together as well as highlight different aspect. I mean, the quality of movie not depend on this ability (produce photo... bla bla). So attack the argument. Yep, this correct answer

(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker have to or need (logical opposite) highlight many different aspects of the action taking place. => the same side with the argument. Do not attack

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 19:24
C OA pls
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 20:12
C
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 21:20
C is the correct choice here. I agree with the explanation given by kamalkicks .

Crick
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 02:13
+1 for C
Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2012, 02:13