Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:23
Originally thought E. But now see my error.

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:58
C.

Artistic quality of individual photographs, though required, is not responsible for conveying the rhythm of the movie. The more important aspects are the placement and order of the pictures that represent different actions.
C clearly lays out that having good artistic quality photographs will not achieve a good rhythm of movie
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 09:20
Answer must be C. E is not the answer because it tells only that a movie maker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place and totally ignores artistic quality of the individual photographic images. but the question tells that the highlighting different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera is more important than the artistic quality of the individual photographic images
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 58

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
ConkergMat wrote:
The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a scene’s rhythm. Conveying rhythm depends less on the artistic quality of the individual photographic images than on how the shots go together and the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true on the basis of them?

(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography.
-->extreme statement..image is important but timing of the scenes are more important
(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers.
-->another extreme statement..some photographers may very well be great moviemakers
(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality does not in itself guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker.
-->This sounds like a solid answer. We can infer from the passage that rhythm depends less on the "artistic quality" of photographs and more on timing and placement. Let's move on to the next choice to see if anything else is better.
(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take.
-->this may be true or it may not..since this is an inference question we have to be 100% sure.
(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place.
-->this is not true...to convey a scene's rhythm effectively the director needs to pay attention to timing and placement not just highlight many different aspects of actions taking place.
Please explain.

C final answer.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 17:50
I got - C

C is more of a conclusion

E is more of a Premise to conclusion..

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 00:34
ConkergMat wrote:
The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a scene’s rhythm. Conveying rhythm depends less on the artistic quality of the individual photographic images than on how the shots go together and the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true on the basis of them?

(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography.
Unimportant is too strong a word ...
(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers.
Thats a stretch. Quality of individual pictures doesn't matter but it would definitely help if the pictures are good.
(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality does not in itself guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker.
This is correct. Calculated argument.
(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take.
Thats too strong as well.
(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place.
This is not a conclusion.
Please explain.

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 03:08
I went with E after narrowing it to C and E. Although I think I change my opinion to C.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 09:43
Between C and E, E is extreme. So, through POE, C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 07:53
C and E are the contenders. The extreme word 'MUST' eliminates E. Good question. The option E has similar wording to the stimulus and on the real GMAT 'E' becomes very attractive under time pressure. Many people who gave the correct answer C now may choose E because of time pressure.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 17:50
I goofes up with e ;/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 02:07
htskumar wrote:
C and E are the contenders. The extreme word 'MUST' eliminates E. Good question. The option E has similar wording to the stimulus and on the real GMAT 'E' becomes very attractive under time pressure. Many people who gave the correct answer C now may choose E because of time pressure.

Haha. I hope the converse is also true. I chose E this time. I do realize C makes more sense and E is extreme. But I hope that on test day, I choose C, even though I will be under pressure. :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 12:02
C
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:31
C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 05:31
This is MUST BE TRUE question.

Hence C because it is true beyond any doubt.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 08:55
C

I do not see A, B, or D mentioned anywhere in the stem, so they are easily eliminated. Answer choice E is also easily eliminated because the stem says that it is important how the scene is highlighted, not that many aspects need to be highlighted. Answer choice C is correct because of the conclusion of the stem: just because someone is artistic does not mean that they will be a good moviemaker. This is because artistic ability comes second to the ability to put the shots together,

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 67

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 09:16
Good question
I was stuck between C and E, but went on to select C.
We need to find Must be true answer i.e. something that follows from the argument.

Lets examine E:(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place.

But what is mentioned in the argument is :the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

The argument stated its should be presented in order but option E states many different aspects should be presented.....MArk the transistion from orderly presentation to just many presentation.
Moreover, The perfect moviemaker will need artistic quality of photograghy though lesser. Hence option E is just one side picture of the Movieaker's quality..There may be many other which are not stated. When we say someone is best at something he must possess all qualities of the field whether its weighted avg is lesser or greater
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 282

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 07:23
E is mostly restating the argument. Inference cannot be a rephrase. Inference should be something that we can conclusively say from the argument!

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Stern '16
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 07:37
This is a awesome example of SHELL GAME type questions. Means the question is almost correct but the test maker induce a small detail which change the meaning of the complete statement. Like between C and E the word MANY is induced as an additional information.

This is a common trap in GMAT.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 63

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 07:48
Definitely between C and E. I eliminated E based on "must" and "many" in the answer phrase. C follows very logically from what the author is stating in his premises.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 15:18
Conveying rhythm depends less on the artistic quality of the individual photographic images than on how the shots go together and the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

option E is wrong because a moviemakers can effectively convey the scene's rthytm by paying close attention on how the shots go together and how he effectively highlights and uses the actions taking place... It is just not by mere highlighting different aspects of an action can a scene be rhtymically good. Hence ruled out E.
option C, on the other hand, certainly makes a valid claim that being a good photographer does not guarantee one to be a good moviemaker. Since it involves more than just producing superb artistic quality photographs. It requires skills to how one uses diiferent shots and how cleanly he merge those by highlighting different actions..
Re: The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2013, 15:18