Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 0

The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:03) correct 33% (01:07) wrong based on 400 sessions
The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a scene’s rhythm. Conveying rhythm depends less on the artistic quality of the individual photographic images than on how the shots go together and the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true on the basis of them?

(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography.
(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers.
(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality does not in itself guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker.
(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take.
(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place.

Please explain.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 22:23
A tough one, a least for me. Can't really explain, but I'd go with E. :o
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 22:57
Between C and E.
But will go with C, will post explanation asap.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 22:59
Is it C? if so i will provide my explanation
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 142 [3] , given: 0

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
The most important aspect of moviemaking is conveying a scene’s rhythm. Conveying rhythm depends less on the artistic quality of the individual photographic images than on how the shots go together and the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true on the basis of them?

My Explanation:
--------------------
(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography. ---> I can't say whether moviemaking and movies photography are similar terms; they don't look like. Even if they are, this option goes to an extreme in saying that artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant. It just may not be as important as conveying a scene’s rhythm.

(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers. ---> We cannot say this for sure. 'seldom' is the problematic word here. One can counter this statement by saying that photographers having superb artistic quality are generally good at moviemaking too.

(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality does not in itself guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker. ---> This looks good to me. You need to possess other qualities too (for ex., conveying a scene’s rhythm effectively) for becoming a good moviemaker. Though the excerpt talks about 'aspects of moviemaking' and not about 'qualities of a good moviemaker', this looks like something that can be true based on the info provided.

(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take. ---> Again, this statement takes an extreme stand by stating that moviemakers 'rarely' give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take. They may not be as interested in the artistic quality of the images as they are in conveying a scene's rhythm.

(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place. ---> The excerpt emphasizes about the 'order' in which different aspects are highlighted. This option also looks wrong because the excerpt talks about 'highlighting different aspects' NOT 'highlighting many different aspects'.
--------------------

I will go with option C.

HTH

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 23:49
ConkergMat wrote:
(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography.
(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers.
(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality does not in itself guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker.
(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take.
(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place.

Please explain.

"Effectively" and "must" are two strong words that omit E as a choice. I agree with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 4

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 08:45
I'll go with E

Cheers,
Unplugged
VP
VP
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 08:54
ConkergMat wrote:

Please explain.

Hmm, I was down to C & E as the rest are way out.

I ruled out C because its not about the abilities of MM vs PG.

The stimulus starts with the aspects of movie making and conclusion should focus on the same and not go astray
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 09:22
I will go with "C" as well. "Many" in choice E is something that makes this choice less likely.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 13:38
Between C and E, I went for E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 13:49
What's the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 06:07
I will g with c
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:07
OA is C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 11:24
i'll go with C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 13:25
I went with C, but I think wouldn't have been surprised if E was the answer. What is the source of this question? Hopefully, not the OG?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 11:58
I would go with C. It was down to C & E for me. E seemed like it had too many extreme words in it to be correct - effectively, must, many.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 2

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 14:30
This post received
KUDOS
(A) The artistic quality of the individual photographic image is unimportant in movie photography. --> the premise just say less important but it doesnt mean that it is unimportant.
(B) Photographers known for the superb artistic quality of their photographs are seldom effective as moviemakers. --> we never know. the argument didnt say anything about correlation between artistic quality and effective moviemaker (or existence of ability to effectively put the shoot together and in right order which leade to effective moviemaker)
(C) Having the ability to produce photographs of superb artistic quality does not in itself guarantee having the ability to be a good moviemaker. --> correct because good moviemaking depends less on the artistic Q, therefore, no guarantee.
(D) Movie photographers who are good at their jobs rarely give serious thought to the artistic quality of the photographs they take. -->serious thought (never been explicitly mention from the argument)
(E) To convey a scene’s rhythm effectively, a moviemaker must highlight many different aspects of the action taking place. --> I think it is not to highlight but to pay attention on the order "the order in which they highlight different aspects of the action taking place in front of the camera"

Take away: most important=conveying a scene's rhythm. /Conclusion: conveving rhythm depends < on artistic quality, > on how the shoot goes together and order of different aspects of action.
My ans is C because of above reasons

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 23:30
Close one, would have gone with E.

Rock On

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 02:23
E is very general in nature. The passage has given comparison to show how one aspect is more imp. than other for effective movie making.

So C is correct choice.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: CR - moviemaking [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
The most important aspect of moviemaking =a scene’s rhythm. Conveying rhythm >artistic quality of the individual photographic images.

Hence C which agrees with above calculation [:)]
Re: CR - moviemaking   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2009, 09:56