Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 05:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 340

CAT Tests
The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (01:47) correct 23% (00:46) wrong based on 94 sessions
The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered generation of electricity is achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload electrical grids with sudden voltage increases

A. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpred-ictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload
B. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, which meets demand but without overloading.
C. how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, a flow that meets demand but does not overload.
D. how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, but a flow that meets demand without overloading
E. how a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source can be achieved, which meets demand but does not overload.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

One Final Try.......

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 340

CAT Tests
Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 10:22
Quote:
The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered generation of electricity is achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload electrical grids with sudden voltage increases

A. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload
B. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, which meets demand but without overloading.
C. how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, a flow that meets demand but does not overload.
D. how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, but a flow that meets demand without overloading
E. how a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source can be achieved, which meets demand but does not overload.

The most vexing problem is "NOUN" the parallelism is maintained only when before and after part of "is" in same

but in option C "how to achieve a constant flow" is a phrase

Can some one explain

One Final Try.......

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 150

Kudos [?]: 1474 [0], given: 122

Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 11:07
RaviChandra wrote:
Quote:

A. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload

The most vexing problem is "NOUN" the parallelism is maintained only when before and after part of "is" in same

but in option C "how to achieve a constant flow" is a phrase

Can some one explain

Hi RaviChandra

The basic structure of a sentence is: Subject + Verb + Object (S-V-O)
We do not have any rule that requires S and O must be parallel. S and V, however, must follow the subject-verb agreement rules.

For example:
My weakness is that I don't know how to spend on my salary

Subject: my weakness is a noun
Object: "that I don't know how to spend on my salary" is even a clause.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 340

CAT Tests
Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 19:42
Hi Thankyou for the explanations. I was referring to "Watch out for Link verbs" Section in Chapter 4 "Parallelism Strategy" (MGMAT)

This part says,

Wrong: The bouquet of flowers WAS a giving of love.

The two sides of the linking verb was are the bouquet and a giving. These two sides are not as structurally
parallel as possible. In order to achieve true parallelism, we can rewrite the sentence replacing giving
with the noun gift, so that the two sides of the linking verb are as structurally similar as possible.

Right: The bouquet of flowers WAS a gift of love.

Can you please tell if i have inferred this wrong.... i bit a confused

One Final Try.......

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 150

Kudos [?]: 1474 [1] , given: 122

Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 20:39
This post received
KUDOS
RaviChandra wrote:
Hi Thankyou for the explanations. I was referring to "Watch out for Link verbs" Section in Chapter 4 "Parallelism Strategy" (MGMAT)

This part says,

Wrong: The bouquet of flowers WAS a giving of love.

The two sides of the linking verb was are the bouquet and a giving. These two sides are not as structurally
parallel as possible. In order to achieve true parallelism, we can rewrite the sentence replacing giving
with the noun gift, so that the two sides of the linking verb are as structurally similar as possible.

Right: The bouquet of flowers WAS a gift of love.

Can you please tell if i have inferred this wrong.... i bit a confused

Hi RaviChandra

I gotcha :)

You misunderstood what MGMAT wants to convey. The book means subject and object should be parallel in terms of meaning.

For example: The bouquet of flowers WAS a giving of love.
The bouquet is something real, physical. It can't be an action "giving" (gerund form of verb give) ==> You must change a giving to a gift.

That's the idea the book wants to tell you.

Please see the sentence right below the example you quoted in page 60 ==> see the underlined part "in meaning".

Hope it's clear now.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2013, 20:39