Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The nation s three military academies have seen a dramatic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
The nation s three military academies have seen a dramatic [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 05:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:54) correct 52% (01:50) wrong based on 82 sessions
784. The nation’s three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.

(A) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies
(B) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs that have increased at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(C) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, private colleges that increased their tuition costs, and recruiting improvements by the academies
(D) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs increasing at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(E) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 6

Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 06:11
IMO A. It maintains the || structure in the best possible way

The Legion dies, it does not surrender.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 4

Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 06:34
Only A keeps parallel. however I feel that "one" is redundant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 06:52
I'll go with D.

tuition costs increasing | .... | and acadmies improving |... sounds much more parallel to me.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 4

Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 06:59
SensibleGuy wrote:
I'll go with D.

tuition costs increasing | .... | and acadmies improving |... sounds much more parallel to me.

I'm not sure that "Their" clearly modifies
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 07:42
bsv180985 wrote:
I'm not sure that "Their" clearly modifies

I see it now, "their" seems to refer to applicants? But the subject of the sentence is academies and pronoun certainly sounds OK in my opinion.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 09:20
I feel its 'D' as 'their' clearly refers to academies in the context.

Wats the answer?

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
RISE is fuelled by x, and z
D AND E seem to affect the APPLICATIONS which is not correct
A,Band C attacks the correct verb and among them,A attacks them parallelly
so A
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 13:44
IMO A or E ... I think E would be the best except for the comma...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 14:36
noboru.....This is killing me man!!! what's the OA?

CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 22:55
noboru wrote:
784. The nation’s three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.

(A) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies
(B) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs that have increased at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(C) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, private colleges that increased their tuition costs, and recruiting improvements by the academies
(D) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs increasing at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(E) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting

Looks like A is paralled and the best.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Noboru, this thread is open from July 2009. People give their valuable time and post the explaination. Don't you have courtesy to reply with OA? In none of your posts you post OA. I am not the moderator of this site. However, my message to you is if you post OA then only post question, else please do not post the questions.

Anyways OA for this question is A
noboru wrote:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 22:55
still not satisfied with A as an answer, the 'one' is so redundant in the sentence, and for parallelism to maintain, it should have been increased tuition costs at private colleges...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 18:47
I'd go with A. Since the focus is on the "dramatic rise" in applications and not of the applications itself, the word "one" should definitely be there before fuelled.
However, usage of one is creating doubt
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 18:44
can someone explain why (D) and (E) are wrong.
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 335

Kudos [?]: 720 [4] , given: 11

Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All,

Have no fear! There's no need for an official answer when you have sentence correction certainty on your side! VERY IMPORTANT: I read through the thread here, and people are focusing on issues that really aren't important. All joking aside, go out and get the MGMAT book (or any company's book) and learn to focus purely on objective categories.

This question is all about the parallelism category, because each answer choice is made up of a list. As a reminder, the way we i.d. parallelism issues is with lists (generally using conjunctions and/or commas). We fix them by isolating the individual elements in the list and making sure they match up structurally and logically. Let's try it.

ANSWER: Everything is super parallel here, though it may not look it. "A resurgence" is a noun. "Increasing tuition costs..." is a noun (the increasing part is just a present participle, which is basically an adjective), and "improved recruiting..." is a noun (the "improved" is just a past participle, which is an adjective again).

PROBLEM: The second item in this list is a full clause (it has a verb: "have increased"). This is not parallel to "a resurgence", which is a noun. It's also a meaning issue. It's not the costs themselves that have fueled the rise in applications, but the FACT that the costs have risen. The third item here is also terrible for parallelism.

PROBLEM: Again, the second item is a full clause. Also again, the meaning has changed. It's not the private colleges that have fueled the rise, but the FACT that the costs have gone up. The third item here is fine.

PROBLEM: Notice how moving the "increasing" AFTER "tuition costs" makes it seem like more of a verb? Well that's exactly the problem in both of the second two items here. "A resurgence" is a straight up noun. If we wanted parallelism, we would need that to change to "patriotism resurging".

PROBLEM: This time it's just the third item in the list that blows it. But it's still enough.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 05:05
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Have no fear! There's no need for an official answer when you have sentence correction certainty on your side! VERY IMPORTANT: I read through the thread here, and people are focusing on issues that really aren't important. All joking aside, go out and get the MGMAT book (or any company's book) and learn to focus purely on objective categories.

This question is all about the parallelism category, because each answer choice is made up of a list. As a reminder, the way we i.d. parallelism issues is with lists (generally using conjunctions and/or commas). We fix them by isolating the individual elements in the list and making sure they match up structurally and logically. Let's try it.

ANSWER: Everything is super parallel here, though it may not look it. "A resurgence" is a noun. "Increasing tuition costs..." is a noun (the increasing part is just a present participle, which is basically an adjective), and "improved recruiting..." is a noun (the "improved" is just a past participle, which is an adjective again).

PROBLEM: The second item in this list is a full clause (it has a verb: "have increased"). This is not parallel to "a resurgence", which is a noun. It's also a meaning issue. It's not the costs themselves that have fueled the rise in applications, but the FACT that the costs have risen. The third item here is also terrible for parallelism.

PROBLEM: Again, the second item is a full clause. Also again, the meaning has changed. It's not the private colleges that have fueled the rise, but the FACT that the costs have gone up. The third item here is fine.

PROBLEM: Notice how moving the "increasing" AFTER "tuition costs" makes it seem like more of a verb? Well that's exactly the problem in both of the second two items here. "A resurgence" is a straight up noun. If we wanted parallelism, we would need that to change to "patriotism resurging".

PROBLEM: This time it's just the third item in the list that blows it. But it's still enough.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

It helped, thanks.
OA is A.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: military academies [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 10:35
can some one explain why D,E are wrong?why A is right
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
The nation’s three military academies [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 11:35
The nation’s three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 6

Re: The nation’s three military academies [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 10:05
+1 for A. The problem tests parallelism: a resurgence...., etc.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Re: The nation’s three military academies   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2012, 10:05