Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The nation's three military academies have seen a dramatic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The nation's three military academies have seen a dramatic [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 08:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The nation's three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.

(A) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism,
increasing tuition costs at private colleges,
and improved recruiting by the academies.
(B) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition
costs that have increased at private colleges,
and academies improving their recruiting
(C) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism,
private colleges that increased their tuition
costs, and recruiting improvements by the
academies
(D) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition
costs increasing at private colleges, and
academies improving their recruiting
(E) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing
tuition costs at private colleges, and
academies improving their recruiting

Z[/u]

Last edited by kpadma on 03 Apr 2004, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 08:43
After much deliberation, I think I will choose E.

Here is my explanation:

(A) I think 'one' is bit ambiguous. We dont know what 'one' refers to. It could refer to one of the academies or one of the reasons.
(B) does not follow parallel structure. 'resurgence of patriotism' and 'costs that have increased..' are not parallel.
(c) again violates the parallel structure. 'resurgence of patriotism' and 'private colleges that increased..' are not parallel.
(D) This too violates the parallelism. 'resurgence' and 'increasing' do not follow parallel structure.
(E) I think this is the best choice.
The nation's three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, <b>fueled by</b> a resurgence of patriotism, <b>fueled by</b> increasing
tuition costs at private colleges, and <b>fueled by</b> academies improving their recruiting.

I hope I am right. I am curious to know what others have to say.

A 750 aspirant.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 08:54
I would go with A.

This sentence tests the parallel construction. Only A seems to have the parallels correctly.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 09:21
I will also go with A for parallelism. D+E are wrong because "fueled" right after the comma implies that it is the "applications" which are fueled by... patriotism, higher tuition costs, etc. We see it does not make sense. We have to have "one" in order to refer to the immediately preceding singular word "the rise". It is really "the rise" which is fueled by all the other components and "one" properly refers to it. B+C are not parallel in construction indeed. Only A is: "... a resurgence... increasing tuition costs ... improved recruiting... " --> (adjective: optional) + noun

PS. E also violates parallelism

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 09:38
debate is b/n A and E...."one" is kind of wrong?? BUT at the same time, in E...there is a lack of parallel...we need "IMPROVED" in that last part

So I pick A even though "one" to me sounds wrong.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 09:39
Paul wrote:
I will also go with A for parallelism. D+E are wrong because "fueled" right after the comma implies that it is the "applications" which are fueled by... patriotism, higher tuition costs, etc. We see it does not make sense. We have to have "one" in order to refer to the immediately preceding singular word "the rise". It is really "the rise" which is fueled by all the other components and "one" properly refers to it. B+C are not parallel in construction indeed. Only A is: "... a resurgence... increasing tuition costs ... improved recruiting... " --> (adjective: optional) + noun

Sometimes when my answers are proved wrong, I feel like an idiot and that can be pretty embarassing. But I guess the only way to improve is to learn from mistakes.

You guys cant imagine how much I am learning from you all. Thanks a lot.

A 750 aspirant.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 09:58
You said it aspire, the only way to learn is from our own mistakes. When I first started here, I had much more trouble proving my points and I also often made mistakes but I learned a great deal. I learned to give the GMAT what it wanted to hear :devil You are giving a great exemple and all new, hidden, fearful and quiet members should do as you do to make this community a better place but also to allow each other to improve his/her own skills. Way to go!

:btw we still have to wait to see what OA is. I may be wrong

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 11:24
aspire wrote:
Paul wrote:

Sometimes when my answers are proved wrong, I feel like an idiot and that can be pretty embarassing. But I guess the only way to improve is to learn from mistakes.

You guys cant imagine how much I am learning from you all. Thanks a lot.

Hey Aspire

You dont have to feel that way. :) the important thing is to participate.

every mistake you make, please write it in an error log. go over this error log the week before the test. it will help you.

keep posting.

regards
praetorian
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2004, 21:37
Official answer is A.
paul has given nice explanation.
  [#permalink] 03 Apr 2004, 21:37