Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [34]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [18]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3891 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The nation's three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in app [#permalink]
Kudos
Noboru, this thread is open from July 2009. People give their valuable time and post the explaination. Don't you have courtesy to reply with OA? In none of your posts you post OA. I am not the moderator of this site. However, my message to you is if you post OA then only post question, else please do not post the questions.

Anyways OA for this question is A
noboru wrote:
784. The nation’s three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.

(A) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies
(B) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs that have increased at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(C) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, private colleges that increased their tuition costs, and recruiting improvements by the academies
(D) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs increasing at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(E) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Re: The nation's three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in app [#permalink]
A maintains the parallelism throughout the sentence.
“one” (appositive of rise)
“fueled” (participle modifying noun one)
“increasing” is an adjective modifying the noun phrase “tuition costs”.
“recruiting” is a gerund here. The gerund always has the same function as a noun (although it looks like a verb) Hence, A is the answer.
Rest four choices fail to maintain parallelism due to different tenses used.
B: one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism (simple present), tuition costs that have increased at private colleges (past perfect), and academies improving their recruiting (present continuous)
C: one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism (simple present), private colleges that increased their tuition costs (simple past), and recruiting improvements by the academies (simple present)
D: fueled by a resurgence of patriotism (simple present), tuition costs increasing at private colleges (simple present), and academies improving their recruiting (present continuous)
E: fueled by a resurgence of patriotism (present), increasing tuition costs at private colleges (present), and academies improving their recruiting (present continuous)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Is the split between "one fueled" and "fueled" redundant? One response above said that "fuelled" is referring back to "applications" but imo that isn't the case. Fuelled is modifying "rise in applications" and not "applications"

Coming back to parallelism, I had a question:-

Why is the third element in E a problem? The first two elements i.e. "resurgence of", "increasing tuition costs" are both nouns. Isn't "academies improving" also a noun? Or is the problem in the fact that academics cannot improve their recruiting themselves? Therefore, saying "improved recruiting" (change in noun phrase from academies to improved recruiting") is better and correct?

Help please.

IanStewart AndrewN
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I agree that the word "one" can be discarded here (I think that actually improves the sentence, but it's correct either way).

You can also essentially dispense with parallelism as a criterion here. If you compare these two sentences:

The corn industry is suffering because of tariffs that are increasing.
The corn industry is suffering because of increasing tariffs.

the second is much better than the first, if the intended meaning is "it's the increase in tariffs that is the problem". The first sentence could easily be understood to mean "tariffs are hurting the industry, and by the way, those tariffs are increasing". The second sentence more clearly conveys that it's the increase in the tariffs that is the problem, not the tariffs themselves.

That all applies directly to this question. It's the resurgence, the increasing costs, and the improved recruiting that are producing the rise in applications. It's not the resurgence, the tuition costs, and the academies, which is how you'd read answer B, for example.

I'm disinclined to use parallelism here, because even in answer A, the items are not "super parallel" (one expert answer above claims that's true here, and I do not agree). If A were "super parallel", each item would have the form "increase in X". This is a very parallel list:

"A resurgence in patriotism, an increase in tuition costs, and an improvement in recruiting."

The sentence in this question can't use quite so parallel a list, because it's trying to list a mix of concluded and ongoing processes (the resurgence and recruiting improvements have already happened, while the tuition costs are continuing to increase). As a result, even the right answer is only loosely parallel here.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
ravigupta2912 wrote:
Is the split between "one fueled" and "fueled" redundant? One response above said that "fuelled" is referring back to "applications" but imo that isn't the case. Fuelled is modifying "rise in applications" and not "applications"

Coming back to parallelism, I had a question:-

Why is the third element in E a problem? The first two elements i.e. "resurgence of", "increasing tuition costs" are both nouns. Isn't "academies improving" also a noun? Or is the problem in the fact that academics cannot improve their recruiting themselves? Therefore, saying "improved recruiting" (change in noun phrase from academies to improved recruiting") is better and correct?

Help please.

IanStewart AndrewN

Hello, ravigupta2912. I like what IanStewart has written above, even if I prefer the absolute phrase with the one at the head. (I feel it adds a bit of clarity in a spoken situation, although I understand that that is not what we are dealing with here.) In any case, I did not use that split as a deciding factor. I did have a problem with the third element in (E), though. The phrase academies improving their recruiting sounds identical to the possessive academies' improving their recruiting, and a look back at the second element, which does not say, private colleges increasing tuition costs, makes me feel better about (A). If I compare (A) and (E) side by side, element by element, the clarity of the former wins out:

one fueled by...

1 - (A) a resurgence; (E) a resurgence
2 - (A) increasing tuition costs; (E) increasing tuition costs
3 - (A) improved recruiting; (E) academies

That is the best way I can think to trace my thought process. I hope it proves useful to you. Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts