Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3670 [0], given: 185

Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 22:04
Expert's post
steilbergauf wrote:

Honestly, this post shows again the paradoxity of egmat. I mean, youre post is excellent. But why dont you provide stuff like that to your customers? Why do I - as a customer - have to search in a public forum for such a great explanation from you. That is totally ridicolous.

Hi Steilbergauf,

We are happy that you liked the post. Thank you for your kind words. It’s not a surprise that the post is well written considering that it was written by one of the best Sentence Correction experts in the world. :)

As educators, our role is to teach you the core concepts, and help you apply them. To that end, our Sentence Correction course contains 550+ examples and exercises, 14+ application files, and in depth series and a bunch of other things – basically all the concepts that you need + a lot of practice that should help you nail both concepts and application. I hope you have gone through the course and are studying the course using the best practices.

Now, remember that in order to ace the GMAT, you need to learn how to apply the concepts. Now in our course we provide all the necessary tools for our students to learn how to apply the concepts. Most people (read 90%+) are able to master application using the content listed in the study plan.

Other than that, yes we provide guidance to other students on GMAT Club as well. But as you can see here, we are not teaching any new concept that is not already covered in our course. The above post is talking merely about the application of concepts that you have already learnt. And frankly, in my humble opinion, you should not be going through all these application based posts in the first place unless you have a doubt on these questions. This is because going through such application posts frequently may impact your ability to independently apply the process.

I suggest you focus your energy and time on mastering the 3 step process and solving the OG questions using the same. And while applying the process, if you face challenges, you can always seek our help :)

Regards,
Krishna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 23:21
Hallo sraddha,

Thanks for showing error analysis and POE work always .One qyery Take away mentioned that while using prepositional phrase for noun modification we need to use it after the noun . For verb is there any such thing ...or the phrase can be placed either side of the verb

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 04:38
sacmanitin wrote:
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius

Guys one more full underline SC ,
my work is as below:

in B letters are said as only eyewitness accounts
C is wordy for using only eyewitness account.......an account
D also looks ackward for using nephew accounted for the great eruption

now for me (A) and (E) are same why to choose one over other???

Experts Explain

A is extremely outdrawn, has no punctuation at all, and is just confusing and exhausting to read. That was the reason I eliminated A and went with E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 56

Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 04:45
aeglorre wrote:
A is extremely outdrawn, has no punctuation at all, and is just confusing and exhausting to read. That was the reason I eliminated A and went with E.

:)
You don't eliminate choices on the basis of punctuation (or that the sentence is confusing. Definitely, two options will be equally good that they will confuse you).

My suggestion - Try to understand why an option is wrong/right (what is the meaning intended, what are the contructs etc)

The difference between A and E is a misplaced modifier.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 12:01
sacmanitin wrote:
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

my work is as below:

Experts Explain

Will Option A be correct if there would be a comman before the last prep phrase
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius, in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 11:52
Are there any other OG questions that are based on Prepositional phrases?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 04:11
sacmanitin wrote:

my work is as below:

Experts Explain

What kind of modification does being in Option b plays.
OG Says"the verb phrase that begins
being the only eyewitness accounts modifies the subject of the preceding clause, suggesting nonsensically that the nephew of Pliny the Elder himself was the eyewitness accounts"
Can u give an example of comma+being modifying subject of the clause.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3670 [0], given: 185

Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 10:58
Expert's post
Hi @abid1986,

Thank you for posting your question. You are correct in stating that the usage of "being" as a modifier in this sentence is incorrect.

I hope you have read our article on correct uses of "Being". If not then please take some time to review that article here. In this article, we have outlined how "being" is used correctly in GMAT sentences.

Do let us know if you have any other doubts.

Happy Learning!

Regards,

Payal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 05:23
egmat wrote:
Since you have posted a doubt on C and E, lets consider choices A, C, and E only:

Meaning Analysis - (Choice A)

• The sentence talks about a person X - who is nephew of Pliny the Elder
• Person X wrote the only eyewitness account.
• This account is of the great eruption of Vesuvius
• He wrote the account in two letters
• The letters were written to the historian Tacitus

Errors Analysis of Choice A

Logically the modifier in “red” should provide additional information about the action – wrote – where did he write this only eyewitness account. But its placement after “eruption of Vesuvius” implies that the “eruption took place in two letters”. This is illogical. This is the error in choice A.

Answer Choice Analysis – Choice C

The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

First of all this choice only communicates partial meaning:
• It is not clear that the “only eyewitness account” is of the great eruption of Vesuvius”. This sentence seems to imply that the ONLY eyewitness account is in the letters that contain an account of the eruption of Vesuvius. This is clearly not what we want to communicate. We want to talk specifically about the ONLY eyewitness account of eruption of Vesuvius.

Secondly, the expression “nephew …writing to the historian Tacitus..” non-sensically describes the nephew and somehow gives the sense that the nephew is still writing the letters. This should instead express a one- time action done by the nephew.

Answer Choice Analysis – Choice E

In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
This sentence correctly communicates the meaning.

Your statement that "nephew of Pliny the Elder" seems to refer to historian Tacitus.” is not correct. Note that the modifier is not “historian Tacitus”. The complete modifier is “in two letters to the historian Tacitus”. Now this prepositional modifier provides more information about the action – wrote. Where did the nephew write? In the 2 letters to historian Tacitus.

I hope this answers your questions.

Take-away

– Focus on the meaning of the sentence and pay close attention to how the sentence structure of the sentences.:)

Payal

You guys always gives awesome solutions. You are the best among all.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 07:52
egmat wrote:
Since you have posted a doubt on C and E, lets consider choices A, C, and E only:

Meaning Analysis - (Choice A)

• The sentence talks about a person X - who is nephew of Pliny the Elder
• Person X wrote the only eyewitness account.
• This account is of the great eruption of Vesuvius
• He wrote the account in two letters
• The letters were written to the historian Tacitus

Errors Analysis of Choice A

Logically the modifier in “red” should provide additional information about the action – wrote – where did he write this only eyewitness account. But its placement after “eruption of Vesuvius” implies that the “eruption took place in two letters”. This is illogical. This is the error in choice A.

Answer Choice Analysis – Choice C

The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

First of all this choice only communicates partial meaning:
• It is not clear that the “only eyewitness account” is of the great eruption of Vesuvius”. This sentence seems to imply that the ONLY eyewitness account is in the letters that contain an account of the eruption of Vesuvius. This is clearly not what we want to communicate. We want to talk specifically about the ONLY eyewitness account of eruption of Vesuvius.

Secondly, the expression “nephew …writing to the historian Tacitus..” non-sensically describes the nephew and somehow gives the sense that the nephew is still writing the letters. This should instead express a one- time action done by the nephew.

Answer Choice Analysis – Choice E

In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
This sentence correctly communicates the meaning.

Your statement that "nephew of Pliny the Elder" seems to refer to historian Tacitus.” is not correct. Note that the modifier is not “historian Tacitus”. The complete modifier is “in two letters to the historian Tacitus”. Now this prepositional modifier provides more information about the action – wrote. Where did the nephew write? In the 2 letters to historian Tacitus.

I hope this answers your questions.

Take-away

– Focus on the meaning of the sentence and pay close attention to how the sentence structure of the sentences.:)

Payal

Can you please explain again why being is wrong in B.

I think the nephew is the subject here.

Being is verb+ing modifier and it modifies the preceding clause and subject of the clause is the deciding factor.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Erasmus '15

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 07:14

I still don't get the difference between these 2 choices: (A) it was said that "in two letters to the historian Tacitus" could modify great erution of Vesuvius --> but in (E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus can modify the nephew........... Both wrong , as it should modify wrote....

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 04:30
sacmanitin wrote:

my work is as below:

Experts Explain

As you have jolted down to between A & E :

I will try to highlight for what reasons i have rejected A :

The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus

The nephew ...of Pliny the elder (Modifier) Wrote (Verb)

What does he wrote - he wrote in 2 letters ...the only eyewitness account of the .....

Since placement of only eyewitness account....(Modifier) is not correct, meaning is not clear !!

Hope it helps !!

Regards
LS

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2014, 04:30