Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [505]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [149]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [121]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [22]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
joshnsit wrote:
Hey egmat
In Choice E, I came to conclusion that the phrase "In two letters to the historian Tacitus" is modifying "the nephew of Pliny the Elder", which is the subject of next clause as well. I scratched the choice E while answering this and now I am scratching my head wondering the principle behind prepositional Modifier logic used here. MGMAT explicit says that a modifying phrase should pair up with the closest noun it is associated with. WIth that in mind, I visualized that "the nephew is in two letters" and selected A upon E. What am I missing here?

Hi @joshnsit,

Prepositional phrases are very versatile modifiers. They can modify nouns as well as verbs. When a prepositional phrase modifies a noun, then it must be placed as close to the noun it modifies as possible. This is important to avoid any ambiguity in modification and to keep the intended meaning of the sentence clear.

So whenever we come across a prepositional phrase, we must first ascertain whether it is modifying a noun or a verb. So let’s bring in the OG question here and identify the entity the prepositional phrase should modify.

The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

The sentence says that the nephew of Pliny the elder was the only eyewitness to the great eruption of Vesuvius. So he wrote this eyewitness account in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

The meaning of the sentence helps us determine which identity the prepositional phrase should modify. Here the prepositional phrase “in two letters” should modify the verb “wrote”. Where did the nephew of Pliny the Elder write his eyewitness account? He wrote it in two letters. So this prepositional phrase is modifying the verb “wrote”.

Now notice that “in two letters” is placed close to “the great eruption of Vesuvius”. Since prepositional phrases can also modify nouns, in choice A it seems that this modifier is actually modifying “eruption”. The modification seems to suggest that the eruption actually took place in two letters. Hence, the placement of “in two letters” is not correct in choice A.

Now let’s analyze choice E:

In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

The opening modifier in this choice is correctly modifying the following main clause. It is correctly modifying that what happened in tow letters. In two letters, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote what he saw. Hence, choice E is the correct answer.

Take Away:
1. Prepositional phrases can modify both nouns and verbs.
2. First ascertain the entity the prepositional phrase should modify and then see if their placement is correct.
3. If the prepositional phrase should modify a noun entity then place it after that noun entity.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [10]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
OK, I'll trust the OG explanation here, and I think I can clarify.

Think about this sentence:

I play musical instruments for a living in Carnegie Hall.

The phrase "in Carnegie Hall" can describe one of three things:
(1) where I play
(2) where the musical instruments are located
(3) where my living is

(1) is legal, and is my intended meaning: that I play musical instruments for a living, and that I do so in Carnegie Hall.

(2) is apparently legal, and is the real issue I'm getting at. Could the instruments be located in Carnegie hall? Well technically, yes they could. So I might be trying to say "There are musical instruments in Carnegie Hall, and those are the ones I play for a living."

(3) is not legal! Meaning eliminates #3! My living is an intangible concept, not a real thing, and so it can't be in Carnegie Hall.

Now think about this sentence:

I play musical instruments for an audience in Carnegie Hall.

The phrase "in Carnegie Hall" can describe one of three things:
(1) where I play
(2) where the musical instruments are located
(3) where the audience is located

Now, (3) is legal! The audience could be located in Carnegie Hall, so I might be saying that I play musical instruments, but only for one particular audience found in Carnegie Hall.

My point is that you can't decide whether a prepositional phrase is OK just by looking at structure. You have to look at meaning too!

OK, now let's look at the question:

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

The phrase "in two letters..." can describe one of three things:
(1) where Pliny's nephew wrote something
(2) the location of the account
(3) where Vesuvius is located

(1) is the meaning that we want - that Pliny wrote, in two letters, the only eyewitness account.

(2) is, according to the GMAT, the problem - we are saying that Pliny's account is the only eyewitness account in these two letters, but there might be other eyewitness accounts out there in someone else's letters!

(3) is eliminated by meaning, as per the earlier example: Mount Vesuvius cannot be located within a letter.

Now I think it's arguable that you could eliminate (2) based on meaning as well, but the GMAT clearly disagrees. However, since there's another answer choice that completely eliminates the ambiguity by using a comma, we should probaby pick that choice. That choice is (E).

Originally posted by rjacobsMGMAT on 06 Sep 2012, 09:01.
Last edited by rjacobsMGMAT on 06 Sep 2012, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sacmanitin wrote:
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

Guys one more full underline SC ,
my work is as below:

in B letters are said as only eyewitness accounts
C is wordy for using only eyewitness account.......an account
D also looks ackward for using nephew accounted for the great eruption

now for me (A) and (E) are same why to choose one over other???

Experts Explain

What does the sentence tell us? That the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account (so presumably, he saw it happen and he wrote about what happened) of the eruption of Vesuvius. He wrote the account in two letters to the historian Tacitus. These two letters seem to be the only eyewitness account.

There isn’t any big problem that jumps out right away. If I really want to be a bit nit-picky, I would say that ‘in two letters…’ seems to modify ‘great eruption of Vesuvius’. Looks like the great eruption happened in these two letters! We know that that logic is non-sensical and that ‘in two letters …’ is a prepositional adverbial modifier that should modify ‘wrote’ so option (A) can’t really be called incorrect but a better way of expressing would be to start with the prepositional modifier
‘In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote …
Here the prepositional phrase clearly modifies the verb ‘wrote.’ Fortunately, we have this exact presentation in option (E) and hence (E) is correct.
But, let’s look at the other options too.

(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
We use ‘being’ to show a temporary state. But the letters were not ‘being’ the only eyewitness accounts temporarily. They are the only eyewitness accounts. Hence this option is incorrect.
Something like this would be better:
‘To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, which are the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.’
Though still not as direct and clear as option (E).

(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
Here, ‘the only eyewitness account’ does not specify an account of what? It is the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius but Vesuvius appears much later and it is not clear whether the ‘only eyewitness account’ is this account of the great eruption of Vesuvius. The prepositional phrase ‘by the nephew of …’ needs to modify ‘two letters’ and hence needs ‘written by the nephew of …’
Consider the three structures:
The account is in two letters written by A to B. (Looks good)
The account is in two letters by A. (would be acceptable since A is the object of preposition ‘by’ and we would assume that letters by A means letters written by A)
The account is in two letters by A writing to B. (This is very convoluted. Is A the object of the preposition ‘by’ and ‘writing to B’ the modifier for A? Then it is not clear that A wrote the two letters to B.)
Hence this option is incorrect.

(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
Again, it starts with ‘the only eyewitness account’ without giving what the eyewitness account is of. We need to say ‘the only eyewitness account of the eruption of Vesuvius.’
The use of ‘accounted for’ is incorrect here. Either it can mean ‘to give reasons for’ or ‘to be responsible for destroying.’ The nephew could have neither given reasons for the eruption nor been responsible for them. What we mean to say is ‘gave an account of’ which means ‘wrote about’ or ‘explained.’
Hence this option is incorrect too.

Answer (E)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
sacmanitin wrote:

(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

This question is based on Modifiers and Construction.

The subject of this sentence is “the nephew of Pliny the Elder”. The sentence also conveys the information that he wrote the only eyewitness account of something.

The modifiers - of the great eruption of Vesuvius and in two letters to the historian Tacitus – can cause confusion if not placed properly in the sentence.

In Option A, the placement of the two modifiers conveys the meaning that the eruption took place in two letters to the historian Tacitus. Since the meaning conveyed is illogical, Option A can be eliminated.

In Option B, the placement of the modifier “To the historian Tacitus” is awkward, since it should ideally be placed after the clause “the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters”.
Furthermore, the participle phrase “, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius” is separated from the previous clause by a comma. When a participle phrase is separated by a comma, it modifies the subject of the previous clause, which in this case is “the nephew of Pliny the Elder”. Since “the nephew…Elder” cannot be described as “the only eyewitness accounts” as the modifier states, the sentence is illogical. So, Option B can also be eliminated.

In Option C, it is not clear what the only eyewitness account refers to as the appropriate modifier is not placed next to it. Furthermore, the subject of the participle phrase “writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius” is not clear. So, Option C can also be eliminated.

Option D repeats the error in Option C. There is no dangling modifier in this option as the subject “the nephew…Elder” is placed immediately after the modifier “writing….account”. However, the modifier is not complete as it should also provide information about what the eyewitness account is of. The phrase “the eruption of Vesuvius” is placed far away from it, causing some confusion about the meaning. So, Option D can also be eliminated.

Option E corrects the construction error in Option B by using a more detailed phrase at the beginning of the sentence “In two letters to the historian Tacitus”. This sentence also makes it clear that the eyewitness account was of the eruption of Vesuvius. Therefore, E is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
sacmanitin wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters to the historian Tacitus, and in these letters, he wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past
• The introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “being” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

A: This answer choice uses the needlessly indirect phrase "wrote the only eyewitness account...in two letters...", leading to awkwardness.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius"; the use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "being" in this sentence)" incorrectly implies that the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters because he was the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius; the intended meaning is that the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, and these two letters were the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius; remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “being” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "The only eyewitness account is in two letters"; the construction of this clause illogically implies that the only eyewitness account of anything is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder; the intended meaning is that the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "writing" in this sentence) to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Writing the only eyewitness account"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the only eyewitness account of anything was written by the nephew of Pliny the Elder; the intended meaning is that the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius was written by the nephew of Pliny the Elder. Moreover, Option D further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "accounted for"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the nephew of Pliny the Elder explained the great eruption of Vesuvius; the intended meaning is that the nephew of Pliny the Elder described the great eruption of Vesuvius.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the clause "the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius", conveying the intended meaning - that the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters to the historian Tacitus, describing the great eruption of Vesuvius, and these letters are the only eyewitness account, specifically, of the great eruption of Vesuvius. Further, Option E correctly uses the simple past tense verb "wrote" to refer to an event that concluded in the past. Additionally, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [6]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I don't think there is anything technically wrong with A. It has proper subject-verb agreement, there are not any issues with plural / singular nouns and verbs. The problem I have with A is that it is so wordy. Look at how many prepositional phrases are used. "of Pliny the Elder", "of the great eruption", "of Versuvius", "in two letters", "to the historian Tacitus." That's a lot of prep phrases. E has about the same number, but the phrases are better organized.

I like the way E uses the appositive in the beginning to "set the stage".

E seems like a more consice, clear sentence as opposed to A. Once you narrow it to A or E, it's not an easy choice.

sacmanitin wrote:

(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius

Guys one more full underline SC ,
my work is as below:

in B letters are said as only eyewitness accounts
C is wordy for using only eyewitness account.......an account
D also looks ackward for using nephew accounted for the great eruption

now for me (A) and (E) are same why to choose one over other???

Experts Explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
jallenmorris , in terms of concisesness ,both are equally worded ,if you see you ll find an extra "," in E ,but as per my understanding the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus. ,is trying to sense it like the eruption occured in two letters !!,whereas in E it is clearly stated that it is the first object ,subject wrote ,make sense ??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The problem here is the awkward placement of the phrase - the eruption of Vesuvius in two letters, - giving the feeling that the eruption took place in two letters; on this count, the A and D can be eliminated.
B has the untouchable participle – being - ; in addition - the only eyewitness accounts - should be - the only eyewitness account-
C. - nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to – as if he is just now writing. Wrong diction

E is the best, bringing out in simple terms the intended meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Since you have posted a doubt on C and E, lets consider choices A, C, and E only:

Meaning Analysis - (Choice A)

• The sentence talks about a person X - who is nephew of Pliny the Elder
• Person X wrote the only eyewitness account.
• This account is of the great eruption of Vesuvius
• He wrote the account in two letters
• The letters were written to the historian Tacitus

Errors Analysis of Choice A

Logically the modifier in “red” should provide additional information about the action – wrote – where did he write this only eyewitness account. But its placement after “eruption of Vesuvius” implies that the “eruption took place in two letters”. This is illogical. This is the error in choice A.

Answer Choice Analysis – Choice C

The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

First of all this choice only communicates partial meaning:
• It is not clear that the “only eyewitness account” is of the great eruption of Vesuvius”. This sentence seems to imply that the ONLY eyewitness account is in the letters that contain an account of the eruption of Vesuvius. This is clearly not what we want to communicate. We want to talk specifically about the ONLY eyewitness account of eruption of Vesuvius.

Secondly, the expression “nephew …writing to the historian Tacitus..” non-sensically describes the nephew and somehow gives the sense that the nephew is still writing the letters. This should instead express a one- time action done by the nephew.

Answer Choice Analysis – Choice E

In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
This sentence correctly communicates the meaning.

Your statement that "nephew of Pliny the Elder" seems to refer to historian Tacitus.” is not correct. Note that the modifier is not “historian Tacitus”. The complete modifier is “in two letters to the historian Tacitus”. Now this prepositional modifier provides more information about the action – wrote. Where did the nephew write? In the 2 letters to historian Tacitus.

I hope this answers your questions.

Take-away

– Focus on the meaning of the sentence and pay close attention to how the sentence structure of the sentences.:)

Payal

Hey egmat
In Choice E, I came to conclusion that the phrase "In two letters to the historian Tacitus" is modifying "the nephew of Pliny the Elder", which is the subject of next clause as well. I scratched the choice E while answering this and now I am scratching my head wondering the principle behind prepositional Modifier logic used here. MGMAT explicit says that a modifying phrase should pair up with the closest noun it is associated with. WIth that in mind, I visualized that "the nephew is in two letters" and selected A upon E. What am I missing here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [5]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
Hey egmat

Hi @joshnsit,

Prepositional phrases are very versatile modifiers. They can modify nouns as well as verbs. When a prepositional phrase modifies a noun, then it must be placed as close to the noun it modifies as possible. This is important to avoid any ambiguity in modification and to keep the intended meaning of the sentence clear.

So whenever we come across a prepositional phrase, we must first ascertain whether it is modifying a noun or a verb. So let’s bring in the OG question here and identify the entity the prepositional phrase should modify.

The sentence says that the nephew of Pliny the elder was the only eyewitness to the great eruption of Vesuvius. So he wrote this eyewitness account in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

The meaning of the sentence helps us determine which identity the prepositional phrase should modify. Here the prepositional phrase “in two letters” should modify the verb “wrote”. Where did the nephew of Pliny the Elder write his eyewitness account? He wrote it in two letters. So this prepositional phrase is modifying the verb “wrote”.

Now notice that “in two letters” is placed close to “the great eruption of Vesuvius”. Since prepositional phrases can also modify nouns, in choice A it seems that this modifier is actually modifying “eruption”. The modification seems to suggest that the eruption actually took place in two letters. Hence, the placement of “in two letters” is not correct in choice A.

Now let’s analyze choice E:

The opening modifier in this choice is correctly modifying the following main clause. It is correctly modifying that what happened in tow letters. In two letters, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote what he saw. Hence, choice E is the correct answer.

Take Away:
1. Prepositional phrases can modify both nouns and verbs.
2. First ascertain the entity the prepositional phrase should modify and then see if their placement is correct.
3. If the prepositional phrase should modify a noun entity then place it after that noun entity.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hey egmat/Shraddha
This was certainly helpful. I found something which is worth sharing and I can draw a parallel with what you describe. I found it on https://www.chompchomp.com/terms/prepositionalphrase.htm

A prepositional phrase will function as an adjective or adverb. (This becomes parallel with your first take away: Prepositional phrases can modify both nouns and verbs because they modify by qualifying verbs and nouns in the sentence.)

What explained next is really good. :lol:
As an adjective, the prepositional phrase will answer the question Which one?
The book on the bathroom floor is swollen from shower steam.
Which book? The one on the bathroom floor!

The sweet potatoes in the vegetable bin are green with mold.
Which sweet potatoes? The ones forgotten in the vegetable bin!

As an adverb, a prepositional phrase will answer questions such as How? When? or Where?
Freddy is stiff from yesterday's long football practice.
How did Freddy get stiff? From yesterday's long football practice!

Before class, Josh begged his friends for a pencil.
When did Josh do his begging? Before class!

The second example for prepositional phrase here explains the choice E here.

Your example has definitely reinforced what I found. The method of splitting sentence as used by you for choice A is really a good approach for identifying the nature of preposition(noun/adjective or verbal/adverb). Thanks a lot for explaining this.

Originally posted by joshnsit on 17 Jul 2012, 16:27.
Last edited by joshnsit on 24 Jul 2012, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Kudos