Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

) The new mayor is certainly more progressive than her

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

) The new mayor is certainly more progressive than her [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 08:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

62% (01:42) correct 38% (01:30) wrong based on 48 sessions
1.)
The new mayor is certainly more progressive than her predecessor, but she is not nearly as efficient.
• but she is not nearly as efficient
• but she, however, is not nearly as efficient
• but she is nearly not as efficient
• even though she is not nearly as efficient
• despite being not as efficient

confuse b\w A & C. Need more explanation on the use of nearly ???

2.)
The strand fills with water during the rainy season that the peat then holds and keeps it humid, all of which creates conditions enabling trees to grow.

A. enabling trees to grow.
B. for the trees to grow.
C. for growing trees.
D. that enable the trees to grow.
E. that the trees can grow.
Confuse b\w A & D. In A = enabling also showing cause –effect relation.??????

3.)
People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

A. but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
B. but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
C. but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
D. but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

Confusion b\w use of No one, none, no person ???????
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: need urgent help in SC Qs confusion [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 09:12
Q. 1. I'll go with A. "Nearly" should modify "as efficient". I think if you say "nearly not" - then its like saying its just short of a "not" ---> so it is in fact efficient to some extent, but that's not what is intended. you want to indicate you are short of being efficient. So A.

Q. 2. I'll go with B. "Condition for" - is an idiom. You create conditions and the trees grow on their own. "For growing" in C suggests someone is growing the tress not that the trees grow on their own because of the conditions.

Q. 3. I'll go with D. The sentence starts with "people" - so for purposes of parallelism I'd add a "person" as in D (though not sure why A is wrong). A is identical but it has "no one". I'd have gone with A if it started with "We can debate..." - then maybe have "no one" as in A.

What are the answers?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: need urgent help in SC Qs confusion [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 18:41
Actually Q. 3 has been discussed many times before: gmatscore-people-debate-83146.html

B is the answer for Q. 3, as "none" is plural (and you are comparing against "people" - which is the plural of 'person')...
Manager
Manager

Re: need urgent help in SC Qs confusion [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 03:06
1) Ans= A as nearly to modify as efficient
2) Ans = D ---- conditions that enable X
3) ANS = B -- none = plural to be in parallelism with people = plural
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 7

Re: need urgent help in SC Qs confusion [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 13:13
aimkp,

I'm happy to work through these with you, but it would be really helpful if you could let us all know why you are confused about these particular questions. How did you start them? Where did you get confused?

The more specific you can be, the more helpful our answers will be.

Good luck!

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: need urgent help in SC Qs confusion [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 22:05
Q2

A- conditions enabling trees to grow - How conditions directly effect trees to grow ?????

C - conditions for growing trees - OK

E - conditions that can grow - Is using relative pronoun OK here ???

so these are the confusions ??? PLz rivert bak
Manager
Manager

Re: need urgent help in SC Qs confusion [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 22:07
Q3 - In B & E - How none can be a plural ???
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 36 [3] , given: 15

Re: need urgent help in SC Qs confusion [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
1.)
The new mayor is certainly more progressive than her predecessor, but she is not nearly as efficient.
• but she is not nearly as efficient
• but she, however, is not nearly as efficient
• but she is nearly not as efficient
• even though she is not nearly as efficient
• despite being not as efficient

Answer: A
Comparison statement.
Parallelism: 'she is [something], but she is not [something]...' ---> eliminates C
Therefore, answer is A.

Quote:
2. The strand fills with water during the rainy season that the peat then holds and keeps it humid, all of which creates conditions enabling trees to grow.

A. enabling trees to grow.
B. for the trees to grow.
C. for growing trees.
D. that enable the trees to grow.
E. that the trees can grow.

Answer: B
Idiom - 'conditions for'. ---> eliminates A, D and E.
'conditions for' something to happen. For what? For the trees to grow. ---> eliminates C

Quote:
3. People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

A. but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
B. but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
C. but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
D. but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

Answer: B
Rule of thumb: 'Someone' vs 'no one' ; 'People' vs 'none' - you may use 'no one' if the statement uses 'someone' or a specific individual. As this is not the case (we have collective noun of 'people' here), we use 'none'. ---> eliminates A, C and D.
'Dispute to' is wrong. ---> eliminates E.
Leaves us the answer of B.

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: ) The new mayor is certainly more progressive than her [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2014, 21:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 31

Re: ) The new mayor is certainly more progressive than her [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 02:01
Why is option D of the Q1. wrong ?
Re: ) The new mayor is certainly more progressive than her   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2014, 02:01