Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 22:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (02:19) correct 43% (01:02) wrong based on 251 sessions
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded
C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded
E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 23:01
sandal85 wrote:
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded
C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded
E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded

Is not data a plural noun. How pronoun "it" can refer to data in option C.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [3] , given: 5

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS

There is pronoun issue in the original sentence. 'They' is plural, however 'data' is singular in this context as in all the options we have phrase 'data is'.
Also 'greater transparency' is correct expression. 'larger transparency' is wrong.

Let's run POE

>> Wrong.

>> Put on hold

>> Put on hold

>> Wrong because 'this' is wrongly referring to "encourage greater transparency' instead of "new proposal"

>> Here is a parallelism issue. "The new proposal will do X and do Y" is the correct form. 'discourages' is wrong here, as it will not show future tense.

Now Out of B & C , B sounds awkward because of "regarding what data is being collected".

Instead "about what data is being collected" sounds correct.

So the correct option is C.

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Last edited by premnath on 02 Sep 2012, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 23:22
premnath wrote:

There is pronoun issue in the original sentence. 'They' is plural, however 'data' is singular
Also 'greater transparency' is correct expression. 'larger transparency' is wrong.

Let's run POE

>> Wrong.

>> Put on hold

>> Put on hold

>> Wrong because 'this' is wrongly referring to "encourage greater transparency' instead of "new proposal"

>> Here is a parallelism issue. "The new proposal will do X and do Y" is the correct form. 'discourages' is wrong here, as it will not show future tense.

Now Out of B & C , B sounds awkward because of "regarding what data is being collected".

Instead "about what data is being collected" sounds correct.

So the correct option is C.

Data is plural and datum is singular. However IMO here "data" is used as a mass noun and that's why "it" is referring to "data"

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 5

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
SOURH7WK wrote:

Is not data a plural noun. How pronoun "it" can refer to data in option C.

'data' though technically is a plural noun, however, it is used as both singular and plural.
Confused ? :)

Check this link of the gurdian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jul/16/data-plural-singular

I following this approach.
If I find it is used as singular in non-underlined portion of a sentence, then surely it is used as singular.
If I find it is used as plural in ............, then it is used as plural.
If options are having all singular, or plural then there is no other choice.
With this approach most of the questions can be answered correctly.

Still, if options are having mix of both, however I cannot eliminated any one with above mentioned approach, then I prefer 'singular' as it is used in American style. 'plural' is used in British style.

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 103

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 08:12
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and [u]discourages[/u] the need for vaguely worded as IS is used, IT should be used for dta
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded --AND should be used -- they both mean to support one thing
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded-[color=#7b0046]Seems as if the consequence of 1st clause. Actually both are part of the proposal[/color]

I am not sure if transparency about is only correct and other forms like transparency on/ transparency for are wrong. Guys please give some inputs.

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 2

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 11:35
Between B and C, I am inclined toward option B as it shows contrasting between two sentences.
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 03:03
TomB wrote:
Between B and C, I am inclined toward option B as it shows contrasting between two sentences.

My understanding :

The intent : New proposal is coming up with something positive : 1. Encourages X , 2. Discourages Y

It doesn't speak of contrast : Just because encourage & discourage is there = that doesn't imply a Contrast

The new professor encourages teamwork AND discourages nepotism = positive aspect , No contrast , Needs AND

The new professor encourages teamwork BUT discourages sharing of one's problems , Positive & negative aspect , Needs contrast thus BUT

Leading to C , my take
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 10:09
The proposal will encourage.........and (will understood) discourage..........
This makes me choose C.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS

CAT Tests
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 11:13
dexerash wrote:
This makes me choose C.

The same form exists in B also :

The proposal will encourage....... BUT......will discourage ( But/And.. FANBOY Group )
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 11:28
skmskm wrote:
dexerash wrote:
This makes me choose C.

The proposal will encourage....... BUT......will discourage ( But/And.. FANBOY Group )

Just came up with some examples of my own:

Example 1: The construction of dam will increase the water level, but decrease the likelihood of flood in the region.
water level and flood is somewhat related so the use of BUT seems OK here. Try to put AND in place of BUT. To me both sounds OK. You can also try plugging the check.

Example 2: Such questions will encourage the discussions among people, and discourage the feeling of fear.
discussions and feeling of fear has no connection so use of AND is better here. Just try putting BUT instead of AND to check. Does it sound good?

This is my attempt of giving a reasoning. Please provide your opinion about it.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 12:34
dexerash wrote:
skmskm wrote:
dexerash wrote:
This makes me choose C.

Just came up with some examples of my own:

Example 1: The construction of dam will increase the water level, but decrease the likelihood of flood in the region.
water level and flood is somewhat related so the use of BUT seems OK here. Try to put AND in place of BUT. To me both sounds OK. You can also try plugging the check.

Example 2: Such questions will encourage the discussions among people, and discourage the feeling of fear.
discussions and feeling of fear has no connection so use of AND is better here. Just try putting BUT instead of AND to check. Does it sound good?

This is my attempt of giving a reasoning. Please provide your opinion about it.

Hi Buddy : just above the first post of urs, have jotted my understanding of the problem. The Parallelism stays intact in both B n C, its the CONTRAST concept which I guess is the totem pole of this problem.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 13:05
C is the answer. Encourage and discourage are parallel; need for is the correct idiom

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 101

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 03:34

the new proposal does two things:
1- encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used
2- discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.

error analysis:
larger is used for countable nouns,
transparency is uncountable; hence, greater is needed.
they is used for data.
so, it has pronoun error.

POE:
A) as mentioned
and--->but: changes the intended meaning
"discourage the need for" not the need of"
transparency regarding----> transparency about

pronoun error, this must be used as adjective. we cannot use it instead of a pronoun.

S-V error
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 03:43
sandal85 wrote:

Can any one throw some light on use of greater vs larger,
My confusion is after going thorugh below link...http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-compa ... -vs-fewer/
Plz help

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2014, 03:43