Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 05:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 38

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:41
prasadkhadpe wrote:
what i understood is that souvik101990 is trying to say that there is an exception to this FANBOYS rule...
However i think from these two examples that the exception holds true when there is no better option.

correct me if i am wrong.

I agree with this -

The first round of elimination we do based on grammar only and no other choice really corrects this error

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 38

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:47
getgyan wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
This is a general usage, but NOT a hard rule as such.
That is why I posted the OG question, in which this rule is violated.
please check it out.
joachim-raff-and-giacomo-meyerbeer-are-examples-of-the-kind-139350.html#p1124102

I do not think the OG question violates the rule. The rule states about TWO Independant clauses only. In the OG question there is only one independant clause.
What am I missing? :roll:

To the best of my knowledge -

we can still share the subject from 1st independent clause.

in the OG example - the reason the clause after BUT becomes independent is - if removed does not really distorts the meaning of the first clause.

correct me if m wrong.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 628

Kudos [?]: 2553 [1] , given: 745

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 03:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
yashii9 wrote:
getgyan wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
This is a general usage, but NOT a hard rule as such.
That is why I posted the OG question, in which this rule is violated.
please check it out.
joachim-raff-and-giacomo-meyerbeer-are-examples-of-the-kind-139350.html#p1124102

I do not think the OG question violates the rule. The rule states about TWO Independant clauses only. In the OG question there is only one independant clause.
What am I missing? :roll:

To the best of my knowledge -

we can still share the subject from 1st independent clause.

in the OG example - the reason the clause after BUT becomes independent is - if removed does not really distorts the meaning of the first clause.

correct me if m wrong.

According to the "FANBOYS" rule, taught by a lot of prep companies, we cant
But its NOT a big deal!
as i said there can be examples in which, not using the comma makes the sentence sound horrible.
For example,

i shut the windows and locked the doors --> this sentence doesn't need any additional punctuation.
i shut the windows so firmly that i would later have trouble opening them, and locked the doors using both the standard locks and the deadbolts --> these are not complete clauses, but the sentence is still written with the comma, because it's absolutely unreadable without the comma (try it yourself).

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 07:08
getgyan wrote:
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded
C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded
E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded

How is the term "data" singular? "is" and "it" are both referring to the term "data", which I think is plural! had the term been "datum", use of "is" and "it" would have been justified.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 07:15
agourav wrote:

How is the term "data" singular? "is" and "it" are both referring to the term "data", which I think is plural! had the term been "datum", use of "is" and "it" would have been justified.

hi,

data can be used with a singular as well as with plural verb

da·ta
noun
a plural of datum.
( used with a plural verb ) individual facts, statistics, or items of information: These data represent the results of our analyses. Data are entered by terminal for immediate processing by the computer.
( used with a singular verb ) a body of facts; information: Additional data is available from the president of the firm.

please go through the link:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/data

hope this helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

SVP
SVP
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 20:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2014, 20:59