Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 269

The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 22:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (02:13) correct 45% (01:11) wrong based on 136 sessions
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded
C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded
E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Last edited by getgyan on 05 Oct 2012, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 38

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 02:32
getgyan wrote:
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded
C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded
E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded

i was really confused among about/on/for :(

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Current Student

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 02:46
yashii9 wrote:

Hi Yashii

You do not have to be :( . This type of confusion comes under "Usage" which we learn from reading quality material.

Also "Usage" type is never make or break for a question, there will always be other mistakes, which you can spot other than these ,in the option.

:-D

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3048 [0], given: 890

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 02:54
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 03:39
getgyan wrote:
yashii9 wrote:

Hi Yashii

You do not have to be :( . This type of confusion comes under "Usage" which we learn from reading quality material.

Also "Usage" type is never make or break for a question, there will always be other mistakes, which you can spot other than these ,in the option.

I hope so. :)

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 01:42
Expert's post
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded --- Larger is used for describing physical sizes, while greater is used for abstract perceptions. Hence, first chuck out A.

B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded --- the use of but is a pseudo contrast; a real contrast indicates, two deviating journeys; But here in fact, both the arms are travelling in a single positive direction. Hence D is not fidel to the original intent.

C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded ---- the correct choice; uses the more appropriate – need for-
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded --- this- is bad demonstrative pronoun; again wordy for no reason
E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded ---- discourages is wrong; joined with the earlier will, makes it ungrammatical
So, the choice is C.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 10:42
getgyan wrote:

is the use of comma correct---it implies a list of more than two or if it follows a clause..
For this reason i chose D
can anybody explain.
Manager
Manager

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 09:34
prasadkhadpe wrote:
getgyan wrote:

is the use of comma correct---it implies a list of more than two or if it follows a clause..
can anybody explain.

u can replace as follows:

, and= ;

now look at the parallel structure of C
only C correctly uses plural forms of both the verbs before and after conjunction and maintains the parallelism

Intern
Intern

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 10:56
yashii9 wrote:
prasadkhadpe wrote:
getgyan wrote:

can anybody explain.

u can replace as follows:

, and= ;

now look at the parallel structure of C
only C correctly uses plural forms of both the verbs before and after conjunction and maintains the parallelism

exactly
after replacing ,and with ; as you said...IMO it should have a S+V(main clause) which is not present.This is my doubt basically
Manager
Manager

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 21:11
Quote:

exactly
after replacing ,and with ; as you said...IMO it should have a S+V(main clause) which is not present.This is my doubt basically

subject verb agreement is clearly evident in C isnt it??

the new proposal will encourage xyz, and discourage abc.....

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3048 [3] , given: 890

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 21:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
prasadkhadpe wrote:
getgyan wrote:

can anybody explain.

Posting a OG question which help you in clarifying the doubt regarding indebendent clause after ,and/but/yet etc!

SC Q137

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who
receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never
regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity

Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: High
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the
local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play
was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”. Now lets look at
the options. A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or
her death, but his or her reputation does. B is incorrect because it uses redundant
construction “regains its status again”. C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS
rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see
below for clarification.). D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e
the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
Tip:
A lot of prep companies adopt the rule of FANBOYS which says
Independent clause, independent clause is a run on sentence. So to make it correct we
use the construction Independent clause, FANBOYS independent clause; FANBOYS
stands for “For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet, So”.
However, the converse is not necessarily true. Two clauses separated by comma and
FANBOYS do not necessarily mean they need to be independent clauses.
E.g My brother loves to drive so fast that his co passengers often fear being headlined
in the newspapers the following day, and hates to wear seat-belts.
The sentence without the punctuation would become haywire.
Also, the punctuation rules are not tested on the GMAT.

Let me know if this helps!
Souvik

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:01
souvik101990 wrote:
prasadkhadpe wrote:
getgyan wrote:

can anybody explain.

Posting a OG question which help you in clarifying the doubt regarding indebendent clause after ,and/but/yet etc!

SC Q137

receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never

(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again

Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: High
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the
local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play
was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”. Now lets look at
the options. A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or
her death, but his or her reputation does. B is incorrect because it uses redundant
construction “regains its status again”. C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS
rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see
below for clarification.). D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e
the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
Tip:
A lot of prep companies adopt the rule of FANBOYS which says
Independent clause, independent clause is a run on sentence. So to make it correct we
use the construction Independent clause, FANBOYS independent clause; FANBOYS
stands for “For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet, So”.
However, the converse is not necessarily true. Two clauses separated by comma and
FANBOYS do not necessarily mean they need to be independent clauses.
E.g My brother loves to drive so fast that his co passengers often fear being headlined
in the newspapers the following day, and hates to wear seat-belts.
The sentence without the punctuation would become haywire.
Also, the punctuation rules are not tested on the GMAT.

Let me know if this helps!
Souvik

Thanks a lot...understood the point.....
Current Student

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:04
yashii9 wrote:
subject verb agreement is clearly evident in C isnt it??

the new proposal will encourage xyz, and discourage abc.....

Hi Yashii

Independant Clause (either ";" or ",FANBOYS") Independant Clause. I hope we all agree wih this point.

Now Independant clause should have an independant subject and an independant veb which is not ("discourage the need for vaguely worded") present. I do not think it is even a clause.
Ex 1: Tom loves his job in the corporate office, for his job is so challenging. (Independant Clause (either ";" or ",FOR") Independant Clause). This is a correct statement

Now let us at look at another example
Ex: Tom took guitar lessons for 3 years and today is a famous guitarist. (Independant Clause (and) Phrase). This is also correct.

So the correct usage depends on whether we are joining two independant clauses or something else

I agrre with prasadkhadpe.
Thoughts?

Current Student

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:07
The question now is, how do we justify the use of comma in option C

:roll:

Current Student

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:09
prasadkhadpe wrote:

Ah! You understood.. :-D I dint. Please help me out.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3048 [0], given: 890

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:19
Expert's post
Quote:
Hi Yashii

Independant Clause (either ";" or ",FANBOYS") Independant Clause. I hope we all agree wih this point.

This is a general usage, but NOT a hard rule as such.
That is why I posted the OG question, in which this rule is violated.
please check it out.
joachim-raff-and-giacomo-meyerbeer-are-examples-of-the-kind-139350.html#p1124102

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
getgyan wrote:
prasadkhadpe wrote:

Ah! You understood.. :-D I dint. Please help me out.

what i understood is that souvik101990 is trying to say that there is an exception to this FANBOYS rule...
However i think from these two examples that the exception holds true when there is no better option.

correct me if i am wrong.
Current Student

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:26
souvik101990 wrote:
This is a general usage, but NOT a hard rule as such.
That is why I posted the OG question, in which this rule is violated.
please check it out.
joachim-raff-and-giacomo-meyerbeer-are-examples-of-the-kind-139350.html#p1124102

I do not think the OG question violates the rule. The rule states about TWO Independant clauses only. In the OG question there is only one independant clause.
What am I missing? :roll:

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3048 [1] , given: 890

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Correct answer choice becomes

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status.

The green part is an independent clause, and the red part is a dependent clause.
According to the "Rule", both should have been independent.
HTH
Souvik

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:39
getgyan wrote:
The question now is, how do we justify the use of comma in option C

:roll:

Now its clear to me what "Question" he asked :)

Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2012, 02:39