Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The new regulations mandate that a company allows their

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

The new regulations mandate that a company allows their [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 10:09
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:39) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.

(A) that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(B) companies to allow their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage that they can continue
(C) that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(D) companies allowing a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of
(E) companies to allow a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 482
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Group Health Care [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 12:24
vivek123 wrote:
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.

(A) that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(B) companies to allow their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage that they can continue
(C) that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(D) companies allowing a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of
(E) companies to allow a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of


C for me too
S/V agreement problem.

Their is wrong pronoun to refer a company.
Subjunctive .. mandate that
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 225
Location: Milwaukee,WI
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 12:33
C ... subject verb agreement that .... company... its ....employee who ....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 12:41
I was wondering should'nt it be "allows" with company??

option "B" says "to allow" and so it seems correct.

inputs??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 14:06
wrong usage of pronoun 'their'.

'C' is my choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Posts: 258
Location: New York City, USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 17:47
My Choice is C too. The subjunctive mood requires the present form of the verb.

- Vipin
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 19:38
Between A and C

in A 'theirs' is incorrect

in C company and it's employees is correct

so it's C
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 502
Location: Europe
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Group Health Care [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 20:17
vivek123 wrote:
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.

(B) companies to allow their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage that they can continue
(C) that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue


stuck between B and C :?

Go for B as there is no S/V in C (company allow), or after mandate that we should not use allows?
What is the OA pls?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 20:38
duttsit wrote:
C.

mandate that
subjunctive


You caught it dude!
duttsit, nice to see you around :-D
The OA is "C"

M8, gmatacer,

This is case of "subjunctive mood". mandate, request, insist, demand etc indicate the subjunctive mood, you can read about it online, one of the favorites of GMAT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 20:44
vivek123 wrote:
duttsit wrote:
C.

mandate that
subjunctive


You caught it dude!
duttsit, nice to see you around :-D
The OA is "C"

M8, gmatacer,

This is case of "subjunctive mood". mandate, request, insist, demand etc indicate the subjunctive mood, you can read about it online, one of the favorites of GMAT.


I've no problems with C, but shouldn't allow be singular since company is a singular noun.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 21:09
ywilfred wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
duttsit wrote:
C.

mandate that
subjunctive


You caught it dude!
duttsit, nice to see you around :-D
The OA is "C"

M8, gmatacer,

This is case of "subjunctive mood". mandate, request, insist, demand etc indicate the subjunctive mood, you can read about it online, one of the favorites of GMAT.


I've no problems with C, but shouldn't allow be singular since company is a singular noun.


In subjunctive mood we need verb word. In general the above SC can be put like this...

X mandates that Y do Z
X mandates Y to do Z
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 92
Location: Minneapolis
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 21:43
gmatacer wrote:
I was wondering should'nt it be "allows" with company??

option "B" says "to allow" and so it seems correct.

inputs??

'they' is ambiguous in B. It can refer to 'companies' or to 'employees'

Vivek, can you please explain C?
How can 'a company' use 'allow' instead of 'allows'?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 92
Location: Minneapolis
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 21:49
shailu22 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
duttsit wrote:
C.

mandate that
subjunctive


You caught it dude!
duttsit, nice to see you around :-D
The OA is "C"

M8, gmatacer,

This is case of "subjunctive mood". mandate, request, insist, demand etc indicate the subjunctive mood, you can read about it online, one of the favorites of GMAT.


I've no problems with C, but shouldn't allow be singular since company is a singular noun.


In subjunctive mood we need verb word. In general the above SC can be put like this...

X mandates that Y do Z
X mandates Y to do Z


Then why not E?

No need to answer to this. 'A retiring employee' v/s 'their own expense' contradiction.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 22:28
shailu22 wrote:
gmatacer wrote:
I was wondering should'nt it be "allows" with company??

option "B" says "to allow" and so it seems correct.

inputs??

'they' is ambiguous in B. It can refer to 'companies' or to 'employees'

Vivek, can you please explain C?
How can 'a company' use 'allow' instead of 'allows'?


shailu,
That's the key to understand in subjunctive mood.

For example:

If I were you. ---> Is correct.
I wish I were lighter on my feet ----> Is correct
We use "were" here & not "was"

As I said, X mandates that Y do Z, it is not, X mandates that Y does Z

Here is another example,
He recommended that each driver reports his tips. ---> Incorrect
He recommended that each driver report his tips. ---> Correct
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1128
Location: CA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 22:38
HIMALAYA wrote:
selene wrote:
^ C ^
Subjunctive
mandate that sb. V1


perfect answer.


Where are you upto these days?? Long time no see :P
Congrats, you are CEO now !!
_________________

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1736
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 12:20
duttsit wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
selene wrote:
^ C ^
Subjunctive
mandate that sb. V1


perfect answer.


Where are you upto these days?? Long time no see :P
Congrats, you are CEO now !!


i am always here buddy watching you guy's wonderful posts cuz i can't miss my old pals. thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 18:46
Thanks for indicating vivek123. BTW can you send me link to study "subjunctive mood" .... another junk in the trunk!!
  [#permalink] 14 Mar 2006, 18:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Local state regulations require that a company arindamsur 3 09 May 2014, 01:19
4 Street crime can be averted through regulations mandating th fozzzy 1 21 Sep 2013, 05:28
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic Regulations will not allow a pesticide that is toxic to sumitjain 8 04 Dec 2010, 08:41
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their reply2spg 12 10 Jan 2009, 13:48
1 The aim of the new regulations is to make it easier for MoscowFuturist 18 17 Feb 2005, 03:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The new regulations mandate that a company allows their

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.