Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The new regulations mandate that a company allows their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 13:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:14) correct 50% (00:40) wrong based on 12 sessions
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.
(A) that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(B) companies to allow their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage that they can continue
(C) that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(D) companies allowing a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of
(E) companies to allow a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 14:55
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.
A) that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(B) companies to allow their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage that they can continue
(C) that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(D) companies allowing a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of
(E) companies to allow a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of

C.

A/B refer companies as their , should be its
D/E "coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation" of is awkward and incorrect.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 15:31
yes company is one and the retiring employee should belong to it; therefore E is out since it does not associate retiring employee to the company.
ConkergMat wrote:
A) that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue

C.

A/B refer companies as their , should be its
D/E "coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation" of is awkward and incorrect.

-----------------------
tusharvk

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 15:56
I am confused....how "a company allow" is right? is S-V agreement ok in C? I am not agree
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 01:29
I got to say that option in A is having "A company allows" which is actually correct since allows is a singular verb.
Looking at option C it says that "A company allow " here allow is not a singular verb since this statement refers to "A company "

How would we come to a conclusion regarding this other than deciding "their" and "its" in these statements.
I chose A......
Can anyone give me reasons now to evaluate this argument..Will be most helpful since i am taking gmat on sep5.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 01:54
reply2spg wrote:
I am confused....how "a company allow" is right? is S-V agreement ok in C? I am not agree

I think allow is rigght here..teh sentence is in subjunctive mood....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 06:29
subjunctive mood and I think mandate should be followed by "that"
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 02:09
Is there a grammar rule that makes "allows" here to be "allow" following mandate? Normally, option A should be correct. So, I am guessing that mandate to allow is somehow a grammar exception. Any ideas?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 03:16
kshojaei wrote:
Is there a grammar rule that makes "allows" here to be "allow" following mandate? Normally, option A should be correct. So, I am guessing that mandate to allow is somehow a grammar exception. Any ideas?

"Demand" is a subjunctive verb.
Look for "subjunctive verbs + gmat" on google, and you will find the answer ;)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 74

CAT Tests
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 03:25
I go with C as it uses correct command subjunctive mood. Please post OA.

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 04:52
I went with C for Subject -Verb agreement. 'A Company' and 'its' agree with each other
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 08:31
C. Mandate is bossy/imperative verb. So it requires construction similar to that in C. By connecting 'retiring employees' to 'their' in non-underlined part, the sentence provides intended meaning.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: The new regulations mandate [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 21:46
C should have allows since company is plural (its is singular and so company allows NOT allow)
Re: The new regulations mandate   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2011, 21:46