Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3891 [43]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [16]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [6]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 735 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The new regulations mandate that a company allow its retiring employee [#permalink]
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.
A) that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(B) companies to allow their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage that they can continue
(C) that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(D) companies allowing a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of
(E) companies to allow a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of

C.

A/B refer companies as their , should be its
D/E "coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation" of is awkward and incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: finance & strategy
Send PM
Re: The new regulations mandate that a company allow its retiring employee [#permalink]
yes company is one and the retiring employee should belong to it; therefore E is out since it does not associate retiring employee to the company.
ConkergMat wrote:
The new regulations mandate that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.
A) that a company allows their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(B) companies to allow their retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage that they can continue
(C) that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue
(D) companies allowing a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of
(E) companies to allow a retiring employee whose group health care coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation of

C.

A/B refer companies as their , should be its
D/E "coverage would otherwise be lost the continuation" of is awkward and incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I got to say that option in A is having "A company allows" which is actually correct since allows is a singular verb.
Looking at option C it says that "A company allow " here allow is not a singular verb since this statement refers to "A company "

How would we come to a conclusion regarding this other than deciding "their" and "its" in these statements.
I chose A......
Can anyone give me reasons now to evaluate this argument..Will be most helpful since i am taking gmat on sep5.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
subjunctive mood and I think mandate should be followed by "that"
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is there a grammar rule that makes "allows" here to be "allow" following mandate? Normally, option A should be correct. So, I am guessing that mandate to allow is somehow a grammar exception. Any ideas?
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
kshojaei wrote:
Is there a grammar rule that makes "allows" here to be "allow" following mandate? Normally, option A should be correct. So, I am guessing that mandate to allow is somehow a grammar exception. Any ideas?

"Demand" is a subjunctive verb.
Look for "subjunctive verbs + gmat" on google, and you will find the answer ;)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
This is the OA for a particular question:

The new regulations mandate that a company allow its retiring employees who would otherwise lose group health care coverage to continue the same insurance at their own expense for a specific period.

So the correct pattern can be: 1. X mandate that a company allow Y.

My doubt is, why do we use 'allow' and not 'allows'?

Because if I were to use recommend instead, which is another bossy verb, I would have, say,

2. I recommend that a company allow Y.
or
3. I recommend that Tom go to school.

This does not flow easily on my tongue. Are 1, 2 & 3 really correct usages of bare infinitives?

(sorry, this is a question from the Manhattan Review pdf, not the GMAT paper tests).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos