Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: The news on Lehman [#permalink]
Schiff is known as Dr. Doom. He predicts we will always be in recession. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Schiff is known as Dr. Doom. He predicts we will always be in recession. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Faber and Roubini are also known as Dr. Doom...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:
trader,

while I have not read Sinclair or Schiff (I listened to the pianist, though) and I cannot comment on them, I believe that you can always find someone who saw it all in advance, given that everybody has a say these days.

Yet it is safe to say that the consensus, after the write-offs (especially UBS's) and major houses losing 25-50% of their value, was that the market was to stabilize.

Besides, yesterday the Dow lost much less that was expected, considering $600B to be unwinded by Lehman. I hear about '31 a lot, but it seems to me this does not even come close to 10/19/87.

When it comes to markets, you always question the consensus...

And, I wasn't buying it...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
In all fairness, I agree that doomsdayers like Roubini aren't always to be taken at full weight. But one problem over the last nine years (prob since the deregulation of 1999) is that too LITTLE credit was given to analyses predicting long-term unsustainability in the financial markets, and (imho) weak or no real leadership was there to change anything for the better. Thus, you get major, destabilizing corrections like this one.

Banking and finance jobs will be back. Give it a few years. The news media loves to compare things to historic disasters like 1987 or the Great Depression - my little sister is an example of someone who believes that crap, and she moved down to Panama about a year ago, predicting the imminent collapse of Western capitalism. Nevertheless, I'm glad I'm not a finance guy myself.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Depressing article by Fortune.

https://money.cnn.com/2008/09/15/news/co ... 2008091514

Basically, the big pay days are gone for Investment bankers. Commercial banks will take over and largely cut the exorbitant pay.

Are UBS, DB, Barclays in trouble too?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
I visited Columbia and NYC this weekend. The whole city was basically going insane. Reporters were lined up outside Lehman's HQ from morning until night trying to capture any footage possible of employees willing to talk.

Every class at CBS opened with a discussion about the crisis and many students are seriously out of luck. CBS is not a cheap school to attend by any means, and they were planning on having cushy IB jobs to pay off their massive debt loads. Now, many of them will have to look at consulting, GM, etc. One guy I met had an offer from Citi, and the MD that hired him called him on Monday morning to ensure him that he will still have a job and that everything is fine at Citi. I thought that was a really nice gesture.

The last thing that I noticed that was very interesting and a little bit off topic - I took a walk on the Upper East Side at about 8:30 AM. Low 60s near the Park. There were a bunch of late 30s/early 40s guys in suits walking their sons to their private schools. I always had an image that Wall Street people were too busy to have the time to do this, and it was very interesting to see.

I am very shaken up overall. I can't see myself committing to applying CBS Early Decision. The main point of me going to that school was for the Wall Street access. If that's looking very bleak, I may as well look at schools with a stronger general management focus. We may have hit the bottom of the current credit crisis, but like soni mentioned, I truly feel that the banking landscape is about to change in a big way.

If I don't get in anywhere this year and don't go to school, I really don't know if I'll be very disappointed. Things look extremely bleak.

By the way, this is good for a laugh:

https://video.yahoo.com/watch/3510366/9745199
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Buffett called Derivatives Financial weapons of mass destruction, and then wrote the longest dated option of the largest magnitude ever.

I don't quite get the level of people who are backing away from Schools because the banking career path looks fraught with danger, which is no change from the past. It should be competitive, and will just be a bit more so. I doubt you will see recruitment numbers anywhere near what you have seen them grow to in the past. That said, business school isn't there to give you a well paid job on a plate, and it seems terrifying the number of people who look at it that way.

Roubini is funny, and it is even more funny to hear the contrasting views across the Faculty. As for people calling it right years ago - there are so many people talking on the topic, someone is bound to have been right. Hardly makes them a messiah, just lucky.

The people I feel truly sorry for are friends and others who signed to start at Lehman this summer. It is a savage way to start life. Hopefully Barclays will keep them on.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Buffett called Derivatives Financial weapons of mass destruction, and then wrote the longest dated option of the largest magnitude ever.

I don't quite get the level of people who are backing away from Schools because the banking career path looks fraught with danger, which is no change from the past. It should be competitive, and will just be a bit more so. I doubt you will see recruitment numbers anywhere near what you have seen them grow to in the past. That said, business school isn't there to give you a well paid job on a plate, and it seems terrifying the number of people who look at it that way.

Roubini is funny, and it is even more funny to hear the contrasting views across the Faculty. As for people calling it right years ago - there are so many people talking on the topic, someone is bound to have been right. Hardly makes them a messiah, just lucky.

The people I feel truly sorry for are friends and others who signed to start at Lehman this summer. It is a savage way to start life. Hopefully Barclays will keep them on.

Well, since a lot of people are doing an MBA to get into IB, it seems pretty normal that those people start thinking twice. As for current students, it won't be competitive, it will be bloodshed: even getting a summer internship in IB will be incredibly difficult I reckon.

Finally, no, business schools are not employment agencies: that said, who in his right mind would have a 160k debt on his back without any relative assurance to get a very well paid job? I mean, let's be honest about this whole thing: when you pay so much money, I don't think it's outrageous to expect that you will get the chance to have a well-remunerated job. That's why schools are so expensive in the first place.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Audio wrote:
3underscore wrote:

Well, since a lot of people are doing an MBA to get into IB, it seems pretty normal that those people start thinking twice. As for current students, it won't be competitive, it will be bloodshed: even getting a summer internship in IB will be incredibly difficult I reckon.

Finally, no, business schools are not employment agencies: that said, who in his right mind would have a 160k debt on his back without any relative assurance to get a very well paid job? I mean, let's be honest about this whole thing: when you pay so much money, I don't think it's outrageous to expect that you will get the chance to have a well-remunerated job. That's why schools are so expensive in the first place.

You hit it on the head. Additionally, school decisions have to be made with this in mind as well. Let's say that you're looking to get into banking, but graduate into a terrible market and it no longer becomes a realistic option. You have to settle for a far less paying GM or Consultnig position. If your school options were UChicago with $150K in debt and Duke with $40K in debt, and you decided to choose UChicago, this also gets very dicey. No one expects anything to be handed to them on a silver platter - but I think that everyone tries to make rational decisions to manage the various risks that they face. This is what I am currently trying to get a grasp on.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
terp06 wrote:

By the way, this is good for a laugh:

https://video.yahoo.com/watch/3510366/9745199

Richard and Sal the Stockbroker. hahahaha

If you look closely enough, they don't actually kiss or anything. But they have done a lot worse on their show.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Is this the end of the term 'Bulge bracket'

should we start with 'dynamic duo'

So how many 'Bulge brackets' do we actually have left... in accounting it used to be big 8, big 6, big5, now big 4.... is that the same way for IB?? Opinion??
SVP
SVP
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:

So how many 'Bulge brackets' do we actually have left... in accounting it used to be big 8, big 6, big5, now big 4.... is that the same way for IB?? Opinion??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulge_bracket
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
I've seen the list before, but I'm not sure bulge bracket is that definitative, seems there are variations.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
GoBruins wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulge_bracket

I would say that's the generally agreed upon list. I'm surprised they already updated it for ML and Lehman. I would argue that when Barclays completes its acquisitions of Lehmans US Ibank operations (9,000 people) they will be added to this list. I notice they already added bank of america (as a result of the ML acquisition). So, 3 banks dropped off the list but 2 were added. It's far from the end of the bulge bracket. It will still take a while for recruiting to recover, but when it does there are still plenty of bulge bracket banks that will have major presence at the top schools. 9 bulge bracket banks in fact.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
While not a finance school, this has still been a big topic of conversation around Kellogg. Its played come up in some of the career forums, but I guess not being a finance school is a huge advantage. Not many people here plan to go into banking, they are actually going to bring in more boutique this year to make up the difference (Kellogg is bringing in the largest number of finance firms ever this year). They arent telling people who want to switch not to try but I think its clear that its going to be a test of your commitment.

One thing to think about at this point since the competition for the MC and GM jobs is going to drastically increase this year. Lehman and ML are two of the top hirers at a many of the top 10, taking huge numbers from schools like Chicago and Columbia...its definitely going to affect all schools but really going to hurt some more than others. So not as many folks will be as successful this year with the banking path so a lot of people will be looking else where.

Interesting note, as of this weekend Goldman hadnt released offers yet...so that might point to the news at Lehman and ML having a broader impact.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
One story we're not really talking about: thank god AIG is being saved.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7