Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The next step

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

The next step [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 17:50
So I was dinged. Really badly, all across - Columbia, Tuck and Chicago.

I learnt a lot and would like to thank people like aviroop, bsd_lover, kwam and everybody else who reached out and helped me with my final application (Chicago). It really made a difference and I feel that I wouldn't even have gotten an interview without their help.

After getting my final ding, I was torn between walking away from an MBA and applying again. But after much thought and discussion, I realize that to achieve my short term goals (Internal Strategy/Strategy Consulting), I do need an MBA. Not just for the stamp but also because I don't know enough (which I hope that an MBA will fix).

And so, I'm back for another round of pain and sleepless nights. I've decided to apply again. But here's the question - where do I apply to? Kellogg and Ross look like good bets to be, but I would like to apply to two other schools. Of the schools that I have applied to and was dinged from are Columbia, Tuck, Chicago, Yale. I have no intention of applying to Columbia/Tuck and am not sure how my profile would have improved by next round to get me accepted into Chicago.

So I would like some advice - to where should I apply to? My goals are strategy and entrepreneurship. The only requirement that I have is that I will need some form of financial aid - a loan - for international students. I'm looking at Judge/Said and possible Yale/Duke/Darden.

I come with 6 years of working experience covering entrepreneurship/marketing/business strategy/commercial banking, have decent extracurriculars and an ok GMAT of 710.

So once again GMATClubbers, give me your advice :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: The next step [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 18:33
INSEAD is a possible choice as they have lots of people from consultancies who also go back into consultancy. You could learn from them and build up potential networks.

I'm guessing you speak more than 1 language, so the language considerations for INSEAD shouldn't be an issue for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The next step [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 18:54
Yeah. I was thinking about Insead. But it's really expensive, 44k euros for tuition alone. And if it's to Fonty, it gets even more expensive. I had to also admit though, 10 months seems like a really short time :(
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: The next step [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 21:27
adcxaway wrote:
Yeah. I was thinking about Insead. But it's really expensive, 44k euros for tuition alone. And if it's to Fonty, it gets even more expensive. I had to also admit though, 10 months seems like a really short time :(

In terms of basic costs.

44k E + 10 months pay < ~45k USD x 2 + 21 months pay
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: The next step [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 21:57
One benefit of applying to Columbia is that your chances of succeeding the next year increase dramatically. Columbia just loves re applicants. Also, I had explored Columbia's Entrepreneurship offerings, and I was quite impressed. You haven't mentioned why you won't consider Columbia again. Cos I think that a reapplication to Columbia seems like an obvious choice.

INSEAD is also an amazing option (Specially for MC, not many schools are upto its level). So you should consider that too. It is overall cheaper than a US based MBA. I can't say much about your other choices because I haven't looked that deeply in those programs.

All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The next step [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 22:20
Well, also another downside of Insead for me is that I'm unable to secure financial aid (loan/scholarship) for it. Last I checked, Insead doesn't have a arranged loan program.

Between Columbia and Chicago, which would be better for reapplicants? When I spoke the the Columbia ad coms, they said that they loved reapplicants, but I am wondering how much my profile could have changed in a year. I'm considering retaking the GMAT, but that's no guarantee that I'll hit 750+
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: The next step [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 05:43
adcxaway wrote:
Well, also another downside of Insead for me is that I'm unable to secure financial aid (loan/scholarship) for it. Last I checked, Insead doesn't have a arranged loan program.

Between Columbia and Chicago, which would be better for reapplicants? When I spoke the the Columbia ad coms, they said that they loved reapplicants, but I am wondering how much my profile could have changed in a year. I'm considering retaking the GMAT, but that's no guarantee that I'll hit 750+

From now until you submit your applications is plenty of time to improve upon your profile, and I'm not talking about the GMAT. At work, ask for more and more responsibility. Outside of work, get involved with a local non-profit that you identify with. However, I must stress that you need to do these things because YOU want to, not because adcoms want you to. Otherwise, they will see right through it. It has to be genuine effort, and you will be amazed how five months (approx) will give you more to write about in your reapp essays than you currently expect.

As for Columbia and reapplicants, I think it's the application system that makes them more reapp friendly than other schools. Reapplicants still have to show that they are interested in the school and that they have improved upon their application from the prior year; Columbia won't accept just anybody who hasn't done this just because they "love" reapps. However, their ED application round allows reapplicants to get their application in right from the get-go--right around mid-August. If you get your app in then, and you should because you should have done most of the leg-work since the WL or ding, then you are at a serious advantage compared to all other applicants.

Lastly, Columbia only requires one essay for reapplicants. This significantly cuts down the amount of time that the application takes. Therefore, you can get in another application with less effort; I think most people on this forum would do more applications if it was feasible.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 3

Re: The next step [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 06:00
adcxaway wrote:

INSEAD used to have a program with BNP Paribas, I don't know why they changed that. Anyway it seems that they change a lot. GSB 5 years ago didn't have a good program either and now they have, this things can change, so check again.

I think you should apply to Columbia because they really like re-applicants, and as dj said improve your profile.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Re: The next step   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2008, 06:00