Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 14:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early
experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert
Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
A. a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a
B. a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
C. a critique of all chemistry after Robert Boyle and envisioning as well
D. critiquing all chemistry from Robert Boyle forward and also a vision of
E. critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own
envisioning of
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 14:40
notahug wrote:
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early
experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert
Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
A. a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a
B. a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
C. a critique of all chemistry after Robert Boyle and envisioning as well
D. critiquing all chemistry from Robert Boyle forward and also a vision of
E. critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own
envisioning of


I picked E simply because robert is a person, not chemistry
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 17:03
A-hmm..
B-following RB..no
C-..and envisioning as well...no
D, E-critiquing...no

Will go with A


notahug wrote:
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early
experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert
Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
A. a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a
B. a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
C. a critique of all chemistry after Robert Boyle and envisioning as well
D. critiquing all chemistry from Robert Boyle forward and also a vision of
E. critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own
envisioning of
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Kolkata
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 18:00
initially went with a...but then when u read the full sentence,i feel e implies the correct meaning...but not sure if critiquing is the right usage?my opinion e...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 19:19
40plusOnVerbal wrote:
A-hmm..
B-following RB..no
C-..and envisioning as well...no
D, E-critiquing...no

Will go with A


notahug wrote:
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early
experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert
Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
A. a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a
B. a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
C. a critique of all chemistry after Robert Boyle and envisioning as well
D. critiquing all chemistry from Robert Boyle forward and also a vision of
E. critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own
envisioning of


Why not D and E? whats wrong with critiquing? 40+verbal Pls elaborate!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 19:33
I like your questioning!.. :-D

1. "critiquing" is unheard of for me ..it's not idiomatic/proper use.
2. Also, even if "critiquing " is acceptable, the whole sentence in E is very clumsy! (his own envisioning of a new chem Davey hoped to...)(remember the 3Cs..concise, clarity,..)
3. E..The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early
experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own
envisioning of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
A..The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early
experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.

Now , look at the total meaning of A and E:
A implies that Davey, in his book, criticized work in chem since RB and proposed a new vision for chem that he hoped to be the founder of.
E implies that Davey, in his book, criticized work in chem since RB and also his own new vision for chem ..
Do you think any body in his sound mind will criticize his own vision while he was introducing it ?? does it sound logical ???
From 1, 2, and 3: I still go with A. with the minor req below:
note:Also, in “Essay on Heat and Light,” the comma after light should be out of "" for A to be correct. I assumed it was a typo and picked A.

I could be wrong but this is from what I know ..

Waiting for the OA and any better explanations!

notahug wrote:
40plusOnVerbal wrote:
A-hmm..
B-following RB..no
C-..and envisioning as well...no
D, E-critiquing...no

Will go with A


notahug wrote:
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early
experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert
Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
A. a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a
B. a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
C. a critique of all chemistry after Robert Boyle and envisioning as well
D. critiquing all chemistry from Robert Boyle forward and also a vision of
E. critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own
envisioning of


Why not D and E? whats wrong with critiquing? 40+verbal Pls elaborate!

Last edited by 40plusOnVerbal on 08 Apr 2008, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 19:37
Well. I agree that E is clumsy 'cause of "his". But I dont know how to eliminate D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 19:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
...from Robert Boyle forward...is not proper use
(who the hell writes/talks like that ?)



notahug wrote:
Well. I agree that E is clumsy 'cause of "his". But I dont know how to eliminate D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 19:59
40plusOnVerbal wrote:
...from Robert Boyle forward...is not proper use
(who the hell writes/talks like that ?)



notahug wrote:
Well. I agree that E is clumsy 'cause of "his". But I dont know how to eliminate D


Haha :lol: ..Thank you for your patient!

So "since Robert Boyle" is correctly use. Actually it sounds strange to me.

OA is A
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 20:21
I agree with A. I know that it isn't the best explanation, but "critiquing" just doesn't sound right.
_________________

MBA Blog: University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management- http://unconventionalapplicant.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 20:24
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early
experiments
in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert
Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.

A it is!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 05:33
A

Let's break it down

D&E are wrong, critiquing is wrong because Davy should be doing the critiquing not his work
Also in D:

also chemistry "from Robert Boyle forward" is not a concise way to express that thought

Also in E:

"as his own
envisioning of"

wordy should be more concise ( as well as his vision )

B is wrong because:

" chemistry following Robert Boyle " - chemistry is not following him...creepy

"also his envisioning of " - again envisioning of is not as concise as his vision

C is wrong because:

critque should be parallel to vision , it is not


A is right, it corrects these elements - "since robert boyle" is prefferable to all the others that try to express that thought , a critque parallel to a vision
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 709
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 05:48
I got tempted towards E though it is crude.

B,C,D are straight out due to awkward usage of following,after,from. The right usage is since thus we are left with A&E.

In A we will see || ism too. a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a
_________________

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2008
Posts: 136
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 07:32
Nihit wrote:
Is hoped to found correct usage?


yes because found here is not the past of find. Found is a verb that means establish, and is in its present tense
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 12:44
terp26 wrote:
A

Let's break it down

D&E are wrong, critiquing is wrong because Davy should be doing the critiquing not his work
Also in D:

also chemistry "from Robert Boyle forward" is not a concise way to express that thought

Also in E:

"as his own
envisioning of"

wordy should be more concise ( as well as his vision )

B is wrong because:

" chemistry following Robert Boyle " - chemistry is not following him...creepy

"also his envisioning of " - again envisioning of is not as concise as his vision

C is wrong because:

critque should be parallel to vision , it is not


A is right, it corrects these elements - "since robert boyle" is prefferable to all the others that try to express that thought , a critque parallel to a vision


Tks, very clear. How can I give a kudo? I dont know yet :">
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 12:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
lol your welcome notahug, you click the +1 next to the persons name on the post
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3405
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 14:12
folks this is B..and that is the OA..

Nothug..can you please tell me the source of your OA?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 14:32
fresinha12 wrote:
folks this is B..and that is the OA..

Nothug..can you please tell me the source of your OA?


Bud, I question that.
"and also" in B is not correct.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3405
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 15:54
A is a run on..

C-D and E are all wordy and wrong..
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ugly SC [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 17:02
fresinha12 wrote:
folks this is B..and that is the OA..

Nothug..can you please tell me the source of your OA?


oops it is in the 32 Tests Set. Where you got B is OA?
I would not agree with B though
Re: Ugly SC   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2008, 17:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the rpmodi 7 07 Jul 2008, 15:17
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the GGUY 6 14 Jan 2008, 23:41
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the stevegt 4 01 Jul 2007, 10:24
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the jerrywu 9 26 Aug 2006, 19:55
The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the foolbox 11 10 Jun 2006, 19:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.